Building A Teardrop Caravan..

Ok, so I am considering building a teardrop caravan, been doing a fair amount of research on this.

Has anyone on here done this? any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance

Maz.

I think my Guardian Angel Drinks.

It will need EU type approval which is obtained by a IVA test .

Might be worth checking what's involved now with building any trailer after 2012.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

There's a company in Wales (Newport area?) that builds teardrops. I spoke with the owner at the NEC show last year and they have type approved the frame and chassis. If you could purchase the chassis from them you would probably find it much easier to get on the road, think this is the guy: https://www. facebook. com/teardroptraveltrailersltd

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

I met a guy touring Cornwall a few years ago - Malcolm was his name, who built his own teardrop van.

A door either side of the front end, for access to the bedroom, equipped with fitted cd-radio and a small TV, a hatch at the rear for the food prep and cooking area, two burner stove, 12v fridge.

All nicely done.

Some examples here https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=DF5hNoz9zRQ

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

There's a company in Wales (Newport area?) that builds teardrops. I spoke with the owner at the NEC show last year and they have type approved the frame and chassis. If you could purchase the chassis from them you would probably find it much easier to get on the road, think this is the guy: https://www. facebook. com/teardroptraveltrailersltd

You would still need to make sure any combustion appliances are EU approved as they are covered by approval.

t would be illegal to buy a chassis and change from the original supplied as it would then need a IVA for the stage type approval.

But this is IF it was built after October 2014. .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Thanks for the advice/ tips and links. ... my aim is that I sleep in it, the kids tent it :D

A friend was going to sell me their caravan when they replaced it. .. but I don't think that's happening now, and I cant forsee me saving enough to buy a caravan large enough for me and my kids, . . wont be cooking in it, just large enough to sleep in.

So good to hear you're well enough to attempt a caravan build :) a braver girl than me! Be careful and don't overdo it though xx

Have you thought of buying a little bargain caravan with an awning for the kids to sleep in? Would save you lots of hard work, do admire you as I wouldn't know where to start! xx

So good to hear you're well enough to attempt a caravan build :) a braver girl than me! Be careful and don't overdo it though xx

Have you thought of buying a little bargain caravan with an awning for the kids to sleep in? Would save you lots of hard work, do admire you as I wouldn't know where to start! xx

That may be the way to go, I have seen the little Freedom caravans going for £250

one bloke bought one for £50 from e-bay to use as a garden shed (fibreglass body)

Liked it so much, his wife goes to Spain he tows it around the West Country.

Edited by gumdrop

Cant remember hearing about the freedom caravan, but will have a gander this eve.

Mayblossom, I just have to keep busy. .. if ive nothing to do. .. then I do something just so I have something to do!!... :)

It will need EU type approval which is obtained by a IVA test .

Might be worth checking what's involved now with building any trailer after 2012.

Dave

If it is anything like building a kit car it shouldn't be too much much trouble . .

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

A "friend" sent me this photo of one they had seen at a car event

10384605_10154284600160262_9777970989015

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

though I wonder. .. why is "friend" in inverted commas?

As the photo was not sent in the sense of "this looks a good idea", more "another damn caravan"!

(she's actually a very good friend, just likes taking the mick)

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

As the photo was not sent in the sense of "this looks a good idea", more "another damn caravan"!

(she's actually a very good friend, just likes taking the mick)

I like the pic she sent you. .... I have a few ideas. .. I like quirky. ........ definitely quirlky. ...

Good luck! My current caravan was almost a rebuild, more a huge project I finished last year, ripped apart and all built from scratch except the floor and aluminium! I've got a blog on here in the blogs section.

So would it have to be a teardrop? or could you do that and go for a project caravan and rebuild it to suit? Mines isn't perfect and i'm no pro but I know for a fact it's bone dry and suits our needs. There is room for the kids too but they tent it unless it;s really cold or wet then they'll squeeze in.

Compass Shadow 1988