I Wasn't Expecting That!

Travelled from Ardmair Bay Caravan Site to Loch Ness Shores C&CC site today. On the single track section, we were met by a Police outrider who informed us there was a large load coming through and we would need to be well off the road! We found a passing place long enough just in time before this monster trundled through taking numerous trees with it!

It was one of those 'I wasn't expecting that' moments.

post-46905-0-98857400-1406666509_thumb.jpg

post-46905-0-04008400-1406666520_thumb.jpg

Wow! Hope he had his satnav set up correctly!!!

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

That looks a weighty chunk to need a 4 bed 6 trailer. Looks like the sort of water valve used in a hydro-electric power station

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Talking to the wardens; it was the second load in two days. They are dismantling an old hydroelectric power station.

Just read on SSE intranet, the 2 inlet valves weigh 95 tonnes each. Wonder if they have much effect on the noseweight?

David

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Looks a big lorry just to transport bits of trees's. ... ;)

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Just read on SSE intranet, the 2 inlet valves weigh 95 tonnes each. Wonder if they have much effect on the noseweight?

David

The scrap men around our way would have had that on the back of their transit as soon as the driver turned his back :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

You can barely get a caravan along those roads never mind that!!!!,lol could have been some incident if you'd met at the wrong place at the wrong time :-D

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

You can barely get a caravan along those roads never mind that!!!!,lol could have been some incident if you'd met at the wrong place at the wrong time :-D

I'm still having flashbacks! :o

I took the road from Fort Augustus, never again,deffo go to site from Inverness. ...lol

The scrap men around our way would have had that on the back of their transit as soon as the driver turned his back :lol:

I know their brothers Sean and Shamus!!! :lol:

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

One says SEAN the size of that. ......the other says SHAMUS canna get it on the truck. .:'(

You can barely get a caravan along those roads never mind that!!!!

There'll be no problem now!

I took the road from Fort Augustus, never again,deffo go to site from Inverness. ...lol

Good point. I made the same mistake myself earlier this month. The road from Fort Augustus to Foyers is all single-track with passing places and some of the gradients are quite severe. I suspect that a front-wheel drive towcar with a heavy caravan would struggle to get started again if it had to stop on some of these hills.

The road from Inverness to Foyers is much better and it is only single-track for the 10 mile section from Dores to Foyers. That is the only route to use going to and from the Loch Ness Shores site in my opinion.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Totally agree,Inverness best route.

And them hills from Fort Augustus,definitely steep,even the cyclists were walking up them.

Would think the access to the site may put a few off from returning.

I hope people will not be put off. OK the roads are single track but they are not really difficult. In my opinion the site is excellent and the facilities are "state of the art". I posted a review http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/page/uk_campsite_reviews/_/scotland/highland/loch-ness-shores-ccc-site-r193

Edited by Highlandman

Yes I saw the review, I don't think all the pitches had waste and water,bottom has water,the ones on top at the front were. stunning views,thought there should have been more than showers for SIze of site,especially if full. loved the site,and will go back,need to drive long distances to see places,

You're right Klarky. All the bollards have water but the waste disposal is separate for most pitches.

Yes I saw the review, I don't think all the pitches had waste and water,bottom has water,the ones on top at the front were. stunning views,thought there should have been more than showers for SIze of site,especially if full. loved the site,and will go back,need to drive long distances to see places,

There were queues for the gents' showers and toilets this morning. As has been said they are state of the art, but there seems to be a need for more.

Yeah,considering the size of the whole block, was quite surprised at the lack of shower cubicles,as well as toilet and h/basins. must admit they were top drawer.

I have to say that I never encountered any queueing for the showers, but that's probably because I usuually make use of the excellent facilities in my own caravan. I'm not sure, but I think there may be toilet facilities in the reception / office block as well, but maybe not showers.

There are toilets at the reception, liked the little cafe as well :-)