Maneuvering On Ferries

Just returned from a trip to norway and we caught the fjordlines ferry from Hirtsals (Denmark) to Stavanger. Fabulous ferry much nicer than DFDS and P and O. The ferry is one of those where you drive on and turn around at the other end and drive off the same end but at the other side. When I went on with my caravan I was ushered into an area partly around the bend at the far end. I had to reverse to get to the place where they wanted me.

Next morning as we were unloading the staff were waving to me to drive off but that would have meant me turning quite sharply which would have caused the rear of my caravan to come into serious contact with the superstructure of the ship and I know which would have come off better. I explained this to the staff (who were not convinced ) but eventually they realised that they would have to unhitch the caravan and after I moved the car forward they then reattached the caravan.

It could have spoilt the holiday and I am putting this on here as a warning to others!

The Condor ferry Portsmouth to Cherbourg is similar!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Caravan is just a standard Elddis Affinity. It was not the height that was the problem it was the fact that the back end would have swung around and hit the ferry wall

Have just returned from Jersey We went there on the Commodore Clipper up a very long steep ramp to the upper deck then reverse into a parking space. When we came to return we arrived at the dock in St Helier and found that the ferry had been cancelled due to "technical reasons" Found out later that the ship had hit the bottom on the way into St Peter Port. Guernsey The next day we were booked onto the Condor Express catamaran at the captain's discretion. We got on along with two other caravans driving on looping round so that we were ready to drive off. WOW the cat really moves about 45 miles an hour The only trouble was that the Express docked at Poole not Portsmouth an extra 25 mile drive on top of the normal 150 miles home.

Have just found out that Condor have offered £100 off next years trip to all that have been inconvenced by the Clipper problems even those that have cancelled and had a refund. The Clipper is in dry dock in Falmouth until at least 26th August.

Caravan is just a standard Elddis Affinity. It was not the height that was the problem it was the fact that the back end would have swung around and hit the ferry wall

I think Phil may have been a bit flippant there Chris. Superstructure usually means the bits above the hull, i. e. well above the car decks.

I had problems with Brittany Ferries one year when I was directed rather rudely by the crew member very very close to the side of the ship (whatever that's called), so close that it was impossible to open the van door, cutting the story short I later met another who had experienced the same problems on that same ship and had had to uncouple and manhandle the van away from the side. After the Caravan Club refused to pass on my complaint (and photos) saying they had no influence which I thought strange coming from a major customer, I decided to take this up direct with Brittany Ferries myself. My individual complaint was answered and an apology given with the undertaking that the ships officers would be "spoken too" and further it was explained that I should expect to get the same sort of clearance as on a multi-story car park.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

I had problems with Brittany Ferries one year when I was directed rather rudely by the crew member very very close to the side of the ship (whatever that's called), so close that it was impossible to open the van door, cutting the story short I later met another who had experienced the same problems on that same ship and had had to uncouple and manhandle the van away from the side. After the Caravan Club refused to pass on my complaint (and photos) saying they had no influence which I thought strange coming from a major customer, I decided to take this up direct with Brittany Ferries myself. My individual complaint was answered and an apology given with the undertaking that the ships officers would be "spoken too" and further it was explained that I should expect to get the same sort of clearance as on a multi-story car park.

You take your caravan into a multi storey car park?????

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Ex Royal Navy, sorry just having a bit of fun

Phil

The grey funnel line are very pernickerty about using the correct name for the various bits of hardware

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Well its just front end, back end, left side, right side to me.

That would be the bow, stern, port and starboard sides to Phil.

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

I must say that I've had some tricky but fun experiences on the ferry, I've done u turns, had to reverse to get off and just a few weeks back, was also parked about 6 inches from the side of the ship. I couldn't even get to the door, let alone try and open it. To make it a little trickier, the floor above was lowered to the other side of the van so I was somewhet hemmed in. Managed to drive it off fine though. Nice and slow with their direction. All was fine!

Caravanless. ...

You take your caravan into a multi storey car park?????

Did you read all of it or just that bit?

Edited by David in Cheshire

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

That would be the bow, stern, port and starboard sides to Phil.

Just show me the gangway for a good run ashore in Guzz

Some will know where that is & others will think I've got a broken keyboard. !!

My car, my van. I'll do my best to accommodate what helps them, but if I need to stop or drive where I judge it better for me I'll do that. The worst is when you get stuck between a coach full of 12 year olds or old ladies and the steps, who all think your A frame is there to be walked over and the side of your van is there just for them to whack their handbags against.

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Ahhh! Guz, Pompey rating myself, but Guz certainly was a great run ashore, I think? Hic!!

We need a serious session of dit spinning and lamp swinging to really confuse them thar landlubbers'!!!

David

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

A couple of years ago I was last to get on a DFDS ferry from Newcastle. Just settled in the bar (or whatever you sailors call it) after 2. 5 hours on the dockside. Started on my pint when over the tannoy I got a message to return to the car deck.

They needed me to take my car and caravan off so they could get the lorry parked in front of me off. He was on a standby ticket and another lorry had a definite booking.

Made a fuss and complimentary dinner with wine resulted.

Edited by chrisheg

Ahhh! Guz, Pompey rating myself, but Guz certainly was a great run ashore, I think? Hic!!

We need a serious session of dit spinning and lamp swinging to really confuse them thar landlubbers'!!!

David

David, i was never a big fan of Pompey even tho it was Sirius's adopted town, Southsea was good tho.

Loved Friday night in Guzz, spent all day hiding in the Shevy or in the tiller flats before jossmans or OOD's rounds, babies heads or sh. . on a raft for tea then a visit to the doby wallers for some clean strides, a quick game of uckers then up to the heads for a short while, doby myself & me niks, mustn't forget the doby powder, couple of goffers or even a few tinnies. Then out with all the janners in Union straza to pull a few punchies with the green beret brigade then wrap it up on The Hoe arm in arm(!!) with a young lass.

Those were the days.

Came back from Islay on a CalMac, and waited for our friends to disembark, the loadmaster on deck decided that the caravan would pass under the mezzanine deck and it did until the status 530 jamed the van solid on a beam above, loads of grawnching noises and shouts, despite all the staff supervising the move CalMac refused point blank to accept liability, and said they would have to watch the cctv and consult their insurers, the people on the mezzanine car deck were held up for half an hour whilst calmac decided how to get the van unwedged, lots of big blokes standing in the van dropped it enough so it could reverse and swing out into the central lane which was clear of obstructions,( why didn't they do that like they had to me?) just to put the top hat on it he was stopped and breathalised on the road to Talbot, as some nice motorist had phoned the police and stated he must have been drinking and driving to have caused the problem, he was stone cold sober and blew a zero on the machine, It did explain why the policeman driving towards me on the road gave me and my rig a good looking at before passing by.

David, i was never a big fan of Pompey even tho it was Sirius's adopted town, Southsea was good tho.

Loved Friday night in Guzz, spent all day hiding in the Shevy or in the tiller flats before jossmans or OOD's rounds, babies heads or sh. . on a raft for tea then a visit to the doby wallers for some clean strides, a quick game of uckers then up to the heads for a short while, doby myself & me niks, mustn't forget the doby powder, couple of goffers or even a few tinnies. Then out with all the janners in Union straza to pull a few punchies with the green beret brigade then wrap it up on The Hoe arm in arm(!!) with a young lass.

Those were the days.

Those were the days indeed Phil, one's I really miss.

Been married (39 years) to a Chatham dockyard matey's daughter, so quite a bit of "pusser" runs through my veins.

The Hermes made me decide to get off of surface ships and into boats. Babies head, sh*t on a raft and train smash were all my favourites, but then I was a cabbage mechanic. I probably acted the OD down Union Straza a few times and a number of other places too!! Lost my rate after a fisty cuff in the Neptune NAAFI, but that's what being a Jolly Jack was all about. Went around the world, saw some amazing sights, drank some weird concoctions, but all in all had a whale of a time. ROMFT was the key word, until a few years of civvy street made me regret walking out of those Nelson gates. Even after 38 years I still remember my official number, like it was tattooed onto my forehead!! Aye those WERE the days!!

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Those were the days indeed Phil, one's I really miss.

Been married (39 years) to a Chatham dockyard matey's daughter, so quite a bit of "pusser" runs through my veins.

The Hermes made me decide to get off of surface ships and into boats. Babies head, sh*t on a raft and train smash were all my favourites, but then I was a cabbage mechanic. I probably acted the OD down Union Straza a few times and a number of other places too!! Lost my rate after a fisty cuff in the Neptune NAAFI, but that's what being a Jolly Jack was all about. Went around the world, saw some amazing sights, drank some weird concoctions, but all in all had a whale of a time. ROMFT was the key word, until a few years of civvy street made me regret walking out of those Nelson gates. Even after 38 years I still remember my official number, like it was tattooed onto my forehead!! Aye those WERE the days!!

David

I've been asked to sling my hook on many occasions but only once at the Captains table, took advantage of Gibs cheap ale and when finally finding the ship somewhere in the dockyard at silly o'clock I told the OOD abd QM where to go (apparently) Never got it back

Can recall my service number quicker than I can my kids names, especially the last 4 digits (payday) it's been 34 yrs for me. Ops®. Never did ROMFT as in the last 6 months I had a great crowd around me. Still meet up every couple of years and Bournemouth beckons this September, aspirins ready !!!