Cold Beer At Last

wayne13

Hi, after returning from France last year, looked on the forum to find out why my thetford fridge was poor at cooling.

Took in all the write ups on reducing the gap and fitting fridge fans.

So first I reduced the gap from the back of the fridge to the outside wall with a piece of cut down angle guttering, had to remove the fridge to fit in place.

Then moved onto the fans, ordered 2 from overclockers website, a temp stat with probe and switch from eBay.

Fitted these items quite easy and what a difference, last week in the hot weather tested it in the garden and started off at 26c in the fridge with an outside temp of 27c and full sun on the grills, took 5 hours to cool down to 4c.

Noticed when removing the top grill to inspect how much cooler the evaporater was, so hopefully success.

Some pics

post-32951-0-15663100-1406658665_thumb.jpg

post-32951-0-49338400-1406658718_thumb.jpg

post-32951-0-33711000-1406658805_thumb.jpg

post-32951-0-73384000-1406658850_thumb.jpg

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe towing 2010 Sterling Eccles Coral

Voted Best MPV by Prince Charles

Voted Best Practical Caravan by Old Mother Hubbard :-)

Are you using it on gas or electric? Sounds like if you can get the heat out quicker then it will cool better?

Running it on mains elec in the back garden, off to France at end of week so hopefully icey cold amber necter. .

Wayne, what temp have you got the stat set to for fan operation?

Hi Tony, the probe is just behind the fans so picks up the air temp as its extracted, have to be careful not to set it too far back as the horizontal black pipe is still really hot.

Set temps are

Fans on at 30c

Off at 28c.

Wayne.

I do have a noisey fan fitted but with a manual switch, the probe and stat are a much better idea so I have Just ordered the temp stat with probe from ebay, the fans will be next, but being a bit dim, I'm not sure what you mean by "I reduced the gap from the back of the fridge to the outside wall" would l come that be at the top of the fridge ?

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Hi lute,on reading a lot on this forum it seems that a lot of caravan manufacturers fit the fridges incorrectly.

To check, remove the top outside fridge vent and you should be able to see the black finned evaporated on the back of the fridge, this should be less than 1 inch from the inner side of the caravan wall so that the rising air from the bottom vent goes through the fins. It seems that the fridges are installed in my case 4 inches from the wall so all the rising air just goes in the bottom vent and through the top.

So fitted a deflected plate so most of the rising air goes through the fins.

This is backed up when I looked at the installation manual for the fridge.

Sorry for going on a bit.

Wayne

Sorry for going on a bit.

Don't apologise, it's useful info :)

Whereabouts in Nuneaton are you? We're up Whitestone end.

Tony

Hartshill way

Just had a look at the back of our fridge via the vents, low and behold I find a cooling van that's fallen out of place. ..as I'm the second owner I'm guessing that the previous owner tried to improve the cooling. Is there a connection with 12v behind the top vent? I've not able to remove it yet because the clip is broken.

Thanks, got it. If you think your going on a bit you should read some of the novels I've wrote.

The temperature depends on whether you switch on ambient or upper grille air temperature. I reasoned that my UK fridge would probably start to reach the upper ranges of its ability at an ambient around 24 deg C. I therefore set the fans to come on at 20 deg C ambient and my reasoning must have been sound enough as I have not needed to adjust them since.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Hello, newcomer to this forum, our fridge just did not work off gas or electric on our first trip out in our new second hand caravan. The gas was coming through ok for the gas hob but disappointingly no coolness anywhere near the fridge. Any suggestions anyone Thanks

When was the van last serviced? When you say electric, do you mean 12v or mains? The fridge will only work off 12v if power is applied to a specific wire and that wire is only available under normal circumstances from a car with the engine running. It will work off a battery, but the battery will be dead in about 12 hours and so when parked up you have the option of gas or mains.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well on my return from France I can report the fridge worked superb.

Most of the time I turned the fans off and just the deflector plate alone was enough to cool down to -2 at night and around 3c most of the day.

Certainly reducing the gap from the back of the fridge worked for me.

:D

Wayne13 hope you enjoyed the beer cold.

I received the temp stat with probe yesterday, but I'm a bit rusty on the chinese dialect the instructions are writen in. I see you have connected +12 to K1 and 2 cables going into ground, or maybe only 1 to ground and the other into +12 That make more sense. 1 cable from K0 which i think must go to the fans,

Am I correct or have I missed something?

Hello lute, the instructions are a little difficult to follow, the 12v and the grd are the positive and negative to only power the board itself, ko is the perm live to the relay on the board and k1 is the switched live to the fans. So all I done was join into the 12v feed to the fridge, ran the live to the switch in the van and then switched live to the board. There live and neutral to the 12v and grd, jumper wire from 12v to ko, fan feed into k1, pick up neutral for fans off the board.

The instructions for programming the board are confusing so if you have any problems let me know.

Wayne

Thanks wayne13, I'll get onto that tomorrow, I think I've got that,

But if I do have any problems I'll let you know