Another Why Don't They

Steamdrivenandy

Why don't they put the name/number of vans on the front and rear panels?

It's become fashionable for them to appear on the upper rear sides but that's absolutely no use when meandering along a line of Pegasus, say, in a display yard or approaching a display at an exhibition unless you happen to approach the vehicle side on.

Head on you're lucky if you get the manufacturer's name and the range name, it could be one of 8 or so different layouts. Approach from the rear and it could be just the maker's name on the back and one model out of thirty.

What's wrong with putting 'Tuscaloosa', '815/12', 'Heptonstall' or 'Grewlthorpe' on the front and back to help both punters and sales staff?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

You've been looking at too many vans Andy - you need to sit down & have a drink. ..............

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Must be me but I just cant see how putting made up names on a van will help identify it. :P

Having just gone through this for several weeks I feel your pain. Unfortunately there's no chance of me remembering what all the names mean anyway, so we used the simple method of peering through the window of each one on the line until we found ones with the layout we wanted. Thankfully we put down a deposit on Olivia (as our soon-to-be 2012 Olympus 540-5 shall be known) yesterday so no more trudging around behind the boss dragging the offspring for a few years.

I've come across this as an issue at the NEC, where you get on the, say, Swift stand and all the darn things look the same and the only way to find the layout you're interested in is to walk up and down squinting for the relevant number on the back quarter of each van. Sid's Law says it's always the last one on the stand. Having the model name/number all round would make it much more visible.

Our local big dealership lines the demo vans up side by side at a swanky angle along the display roadway. So, yes you know you're looking at a herd of Lunar Quasars or Bailey Pursuits or Swifts but as to which one is which layout, yes it's down to peering in the window against the reflection of lots of surrounding white caravans.

No putting the individual name/number of the model front and back, as big as the brand and range ID will help lots of people over the caravans lifetime and needs to be done NOW.

Never understood the urge to go to an exhibition to view caravans. ...it's the worst place for meaningful evaluation. The world and his wife barging in and out of caravans in front of you, everyone getting in each others way. Arrrg!

Give me a mid week day out at a good dealership. ..having first established their stock.

I've only been the once Eric and got so fed up I vowed never again.

Whilst we are on "Why Don't They",why can't manufacturers of caravan accessories put the weight of whatever it is in their adverts/websites.

As weight matters to most caravanners this would be most helpful.

Ian

Whilst we are on "Why Don't They",why can't manufacturers of caravan accessories put the weight of whatever it is in their adverts/websites.

As weight matters to most caravanners this would be most helpful.

Ian

Because then you wouldn't go have that look see, fall in love with the van even though it weighs more than your car, but what the hey you can change that as well!!

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Personally I use the window layout for the ones I need to look at (ie twin bunk version etc)

Cars are no different when they have been debadged, so no real issues from my part

Never been to a caravan show & unlikely to in the future. Our nearest dealer has a huge indoor showroom with at least 30 models from Bailey,Swift & Adria all lined up with an information stand in front of each one that has a full colour floorplan of the layout, so if you know what layout you want, it's dead easy to find it without peering through windows.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Check out Coachman, All 2014 model year caravans have the name and model reference on the front locker area and on the back panel, as well as having it high on the rear side. Makes life so simple.

So they are!

Well done Coachies. :)