£10 Per Day For Diesels To Enter City Centres By 2020!

logiclee

So Boris has said today that London and other UK City's are looking at charging £10 for diesel cars to enter city centres by 2020 and even new Euro 6 cars may not be exempt.

Boris also said it will not be to big a problem as the Government is being pressed to alter diesel fuel and road taxation over the next 6 years to help people choose the "Right" vehicle.

I presume by that he means Petrol, Hybrid and Electric.

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

If the great British voter didn't have such a short memory, perhaps we can do something about it come the next General Election, although there isn't one of bunch of lying b******s that I'd trust! :angry:

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Boris is a knob. I've nearly knocked him off his bike twice, maybe next time I won't swerve. .

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Heaven preserve us from the green brigade. If they get their way on everything we'll all end up starving, freezing, in the dark, but possibly environmentally 'friendly'... I think not.
Everything is finite, inc. our existence on this planet. It's called progress. ...get used to it. That's not to say don't be responsible in our consumption but at best we can only put off the inevitable.
When they give THEIR cars & foreign holidays (by 'plane) I might start believing some of their claims. Until then all I see is yet another scam.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Not sure where those figures came from as in the interview I heard with Boris Johnson on Radio 4 this afternoon he wouldn't be drawn on speculating about the potential rate. Not sure it will be confined to London alone either.

Something does need to be done about the air pollution in our cities though. The particulates emitted by diesels are harmful to our health, especially when they are confined in densely populated areas which is one of the reasons that DPFs have now become part of the MOT test. The fact that so many people feel the need to remove them would suggest that there are many people driving round in diesels who would probably be better off in a petrol car.

makes me laugh, i have an LPG vehicle, it IS cleaner than diesel, I run it on LPG because it's cheaper, but they are no longer considered exempt from CC in London as no longer a CLEAN car. Yet after 8000 miles, the inside of my exhaust tip is spotless still, yet a diesel hybrid or electric hybrid is free,

think it's more about £££££ than actual emissions

Not sure where those figures came from as in the interview I heard with Boris Johnson on Radio 4 this afternoon he wouldn't be drawn on speculating about the potential rate. Not sure it will be confined to London alone either.

BBC Radio 2. Boris been quoted as saying ten or eleven pound area which is why some websites are saying £10 and some £11.

As I said charges are not going to be confined to London

More worrying is the call for increased diesel car taxation for those of us who stay out of city centres.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Something does need to be done about the air pollution in our cities though. The particulates emitted by diesels are harmful to our health, especially when they are confined in densely populated areas which is one of the reasons that DPFs have now become part of the MOT test. The fact that so many people feel the need to remove them would suggest that there are many people driving round in diesels who would probably be better off in a petrol car.

I live on the outskirts of a city and find by far the worst poluting vehicles as well as the noisiest to be public transport!

Anyone want to buy a deisel shogun . ... ! Or swop for V8 X5 . ...

Anyone want to buy a deisel shogun . ... ! Or swop for V8 X5 . ...

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

Big cities like London aren't a place anyone goes by choice - so if you don't have to go it won't cost - if you really must go then pay up and smile, at least you can see how Boris fleeces visitors, just don't try buying a drink!

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I live on the outskirts of a city and find by far the worst poluting vehicles as well as the noisiest to be public transport!

Completely agree. It isn't just diesel cars. Trucks and buses are worse.

I used to live on a main road and my net curtains (it was in the 80s) used to go grey very quickly where I used to leave the windows slightly open. I don't think it is a coincidence that my asthma completely cleared within a couple of years of moving to a more rural area.

I think that the obsession with reducing CO2 emissions from the 1990s 'nudged' people towards diesel over petrol engine cars. Whilst there is a benefit from CO2, there are far more air pollutants from diesels than petrols which was never taken into account. If you also take into account that modern petrol engines are getting cleaner and more efficient I think there will be a move back towards petrol cars.

If we all move away from diesel to petrol the government of the day will just increase duty on petrol as they will say the duty is disproportionate.

What I find bazaar is air polluting classic cars are exempt from these charges, and pay no VED.

Anyway I've been voting ukip for years now and will continue to do so. Getting out from under German rule should be the first step to regaining our independence.

And then we could use Boris for a guy fawkes?

This link says euro 6 isn't charged above the normal charge.

Mazda CX-5 is already since 2012 been euro 6.

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-england-london-28540259

Edited by xtrailman

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

I often watch programmes showing farmer turning vast areas of their farms over to rapeseed for biodiesel and now fields are being turned over to solar panels after clearing crops as they get large grants and profits.

I think they need to concentrate on other issues or we will all be starving to death but at least it will be with a tank full of diesel and not in the dark.

I bet the thousands of London cabbies love that idea. We have all sat behind some of the 6000 buses in London with their 12 L engines producing fumes

Hit the poor old working man again ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

this shoud be a good why dont they tax the smokers they pollute the air you have only to walk down the high street

and they pass you or you pass them and you breathe in the smoke let alone the smell of cigerettes

Coachman festival 580-4 -Freelander 1 TD4

As we never go into big cities, this tax won't affect us but I already pay £260 pa road tax so are they going to increase that. When I bought my car I was told that buying a diesel was the green thing to do! Now I am paying for it. Never believe what the government tell you.

Is there no way that you attach something that will clean up the exhaust although I have never noticed any muck coming out? Not like our last car which was a Sorento and that was filthy. Had to wash the van every time we towed.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I drive in central London almost daily & at the moment its a diesel car that i'm using. This won't come in to force until 2020, so by then we'll all be used to using Boris bikes I suppose. Taxis & buses are by far the biggest pollutants in London, but they are ok as they are part of the mass transport policy, where as my 7 seater, regardless of the fact it may well be carrying 7 people - more than a taxi can - is regarded as a polluting vehicle.

Makes me think my next vehicle will now definitely be an LPG.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I often watch programmes showing farmer turning vast areas of their farms over to rapeseed for biodiesel and now fields are being turned over to solar panels after clearing crops as they get large grants and profits.

I think they need to concentrate on other issues or we will all be starving to death but at least it will be with a tank full of diesel and not in the dark.

I bet the thousands of London cabbies love that idea. We have all sat behind some of the 6000 buses in London with their 12 L engines producing fumes

Hit the poor old working man again ?

Dave

BUT with this sort of stuff the surely the cabbies will have to either change to "something else" or be taxed as well?

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I drive in central London almost daily & at the moment its a diesel car that i'm using. This won't come in to force until 2020, so by then we'll all be used to using Boris bikes I suppose. Taxis & buses are by far the biggest pollutants in London, but they are ok as they are part of the mass transport policy, where as my 7 seater, regardless of the fact it may well be carrying 7 people - more than a taxi can - is regarded as a polluting vehicle.

Makes me think my next vehicle will now definitely be an LPG.

Raised this point on the CT Twitter account, wonder if the new diesel rules will cause an increase in LPG conversions. .?

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

Raised this point on the CT Twitter account, wonder if the new diesel rules will cause an increase in LPG conversions. .?

We all know what will happen then? The same as what happened to diesel when it was half the price of petrol.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Don't think you can convert diesel to LPG.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Firstly from what I can tell from the various reports on this it is not coming into force until 2020 and will not effect euro6 upward vehicles but will apply to older petrol vehicles over 14years old by that point.

http://www. bbc. co. uk/news/uk-england-london-28540259

"Only diesel vehicles meeting the Euro 6 emissions standard will be exempt, while petrol cars registered before 2006 will also have to pay."

This will not cause a big issue to most people as most diesels coming onto the market are Euro6 currently, I know my car is.

You can run them with LPG and they are 'Hybrid' but they will still be taxed as Diesel as I understand it, so this idea may not work.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I will not be going into town in my car. I will just use the old bus pass. Some of our buses are bio fuel so I will be doing my bit for the world and saving money at the same time.

You can't, sorry think my sentence may have implied that. I was actually talking about LPG conversions to petrol cars as an alternative cost-effective fuel.

Diesels have always been the dirtiest of the few main fuel types and although they are more efficient, the fuel is priced higher through tax and there are DPF, DMF and other issues with some. This is more of a hypothetical than anything else, but I can imagine big-engined petrol cars converted to LPG being a more affordable and cleaner alternative to diesel towcars in future. Whether or not it takes off will depend on whether the LPG industry take this opportunity seriously; to raise more awareness and increase availability of LPG pumps and quality garages that can install and properly maintain the systems.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk