Fully Serviced Pitches

A few weeks ago there was a post on here about fully serviced pitches and someone thought they had seen someone draining their toilet waste down the grey waste system.

We have just come back from Stanwix Park in Cumbria where the pitches are fully serviced including toilet waste. From the picture attached, the brown circle in the top right hand cover is removed and the the toilet waste is poured down there.

I never used this way of emptying my cassette and always went to the main disposal point, I had just visions in getting covered in lots of "unpleasantness" trying to get everything down the small hole on the pitch.

post-32024-0-13614800-1406627182_thumb.jpg

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

Could it be for those people that never move their caravan/ shed conversion

again and plumb into the small noxious waste permanently?

Edited by gumdrop

So you need to use the mains water tap to rinse out the cassette.

I would use the main disposal point as you did.

Bailey GT65 Ancona Following Vauxhall Antara

It doesnt look that small, it looks like a standard 4" waste like in your house. Why wouldnt you use the mains tap to rinse as long as your rinsings are going down the waste too ?

Possible contamination if using waste/drinking water to rinse,these are only for use with statics when plumbed in and should not be used by tourers. Let's face it,who the hell is gonna try and flush waste down a "FOUR INCH PIPE "........NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lol. ...some people can't hit the larger waste units

Edited by klarky

nissan xtrail tekna 173 . ....SERIES 2 UNICORN VALENCIA 2013

It doesnt look that small, it looks like a standard 4" waste like in your house. Why wouldnt you use the mains tap to rinse as long as your rinsings are going down the waste too ?

With two young kids, our cassette gets full with "things" and lots of toilet paper. It takes a lot of shaking to get it all out so I would be guaranteed to spill something.

Possible contamination if using waste/drinking water to rinse,these are only for use with statics when plumbed in and should not be used by tourers. Let's face it,who the hell is gonna try and flush waste down a "FOUR INCH PIPE "........NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lol. ...some people can't hit the larger waste units

No definitely touring pitches, all have them. Even the website makes reference to sewage waste on each pitch.

One day when I was on my way to the disposal point a guy stopped me and pointed out that I could use the hole in the pitch. I said I knew about it but preferred not to.

Have been on sites with these too,as far as I'm aware they are static ready plots.

The chances of overrun contamination with these must be really high.

And then to rinse it outat the waste water outlet. ....which is very close to your drinking water outlet,bound to be splashes etc. ......Imho. .....it's disgusting.

When you think how big a proper waste disposal point yawns,

then look at a 4" pipe, well I would use the full sized disposal point

On bothclub's sites and rallies number one rule is that no part of a toilet is brought to a water tap.

Near the Elsan disposal there will be a dedicated tap for rinsing the cassette

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

I am not sure if that is legal as i can remember reading in the government site act that toilet waste disposal had to have a separate mains water tap . you would be handling the waste tank and touching and splashing the local area .

i would wash the tap handle and use the toilet waste point . not sure if that is a toilet waste port or a pipe just to poke a grey waste down .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

When we were at the Chatsworth cc club site recently, we had a separate large diameter drain with cover and tap for toilet waste only. We also had mains water and a grey waste drain some distance away. It was brilliant - kept well cleaned and disinfected by the wardens between each booking, including the short length of hose to clean round with

I visited Stanwix Park a few years back and can confirm what CBBC has said. I was told at reception that each pitch had its own water supply, waste disposal and chemical toilet disposal point. Same as CBBC I used the main disposal point for the chemical waste but did notice one caravanner pitched opposite using the disposal point on his pitch then rinsing at the fresh water supply. He wasn't using a mains water supply to his van so there was no hose on the tap so he was running water directly into the toilet waste tank pouring spout with the toilet tank held up close to the tap. The tap was very much in direct contact with the toilet waste tank. Made me think that even if I wasn't doing that what had the previous occupant of the pitch being doing!

I like serviced pitches but think toilet waste should be kept totally separate.

On bothclub's sites and rallies number one rule is that no part of a toilet is brought to a water tap.

Near the Elsan disposal there will be a dedicated tap for rinsing the cassette

It kind of makes sense I suppose. There will be some very very minor risk of splashback contamination I suppose and the slightly bigger risk of contamination from stupidity.

All it takes is MINOR contact/contamination for serious consequences to prevail. ...... :-(

All it takes is MINOR contact/contamination for serious consequences to prevail. ...... :-(

Like the minor contact we all get daily from door handles, public toilets, works toilets and life in general. I do understand the concerns but sometimes think we can overestate the risks.

The layout at Chatsworth meant that it would be just as difficult for contamination to occur as it does in your own home

All the waste for both household water and toilet uses the same main drainage system. As long as there are two taps and disposal points then it would take quite a bit of effort to contaminate the fresh water supply

In addition, the hose for the toilet disposal pipe has a non return valve thingy, which means that even if you put the hose right into the drain, waste cannot be siphoned up into the general water system

The layout at Chatsworth meant that it would be just as difficult for contamination to occur as it does in your own home

All the waste for both household water and toilet uses the same main drainage system. As long as there are two taps and disposal points then it would take quite a bit of effort to contaminate the fresh water supply

In addition, the hose for the toilet disposal pipe has a non return valve thingy, which means that even if you put the hose right into the drain, waste cannot be siphoned up into the general water system

I think its just the possibilty of some minor " splashback" hitting the tap or hose that is concerning the worriers, and then transferring to their hands or getting in their aquaroll. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Edited by Alexbee

It kind of makes sense I suppose. There will be some very very minor risk of splashback contamination I suppose and the slightly bigger risk of contamination from stupidity.

Any risk of infection should not be taken lightly,

you may "get away with it" a child may not!

Never underestimate the possible risks of contamination

to other people who may be unaware not "stupid"

Any risk of infection should not be taken lightly,

you may "get away with it" a child may not!

Never underestimate the possible risks of contamination

to other people who may be unaware not "stupid"

You have misunderstood my intent, probably because I was not clear. The stupidity I was alluding to was the stupidity that might cause someone to put the hose from the tap right into the waste container, or to hold the waste container right up at the tap causing direct contact and not the stupidity of future users as it appears you thought.

I never underestimate the possible risk of contamination, but then again I dont overestimate either.

Hygiene, should never be taken lightly, it can result in anything from a mild tummy upset

to the sort of illness (that even recovery from) can leave long term poor health, with heart

and lungs weakened, or even death.

It is not just yourself and your estimate of risk, nowadays you have a duty of care to other people

even just knowing about possible cross contamination and saying nothing could lead to prosecution I believe

From the picture attached, the brown circle in the top right hand cover is removed and the the toilet waste is poured down there.

attachicon.gifIMG_0604 (765x1024).jpg

You may find that waste point is to take the black waste hose from an RV, as in the picture below.

RV black waste hose.jpg

If this is the case, then there would be no risk of cross-contamination, as all rinsing would be carried out from the RV end of the pipe, thus also cleansing the waste pipe before removal from the waste point.

RV waste hose.jpg

Typical RV waste hose

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

You may find that waste point is to take the black waste hose from an RV, as in the picture below.

and having seen your pic, I think you may be ( No you ARE) 100% correct.

I don't understand why this post has been moved to UK caravan holidays, we are talking about serviced pitches.

Ok, I mentioned Stanwix Park but I could have instead said I was recently on abc site and the topic would have developed in exactly the same way it went.

I think the moderator got it wrong this time.

Super pitch gone mad IMO. Caravan sites tend to have elderly people and young children visiting them. With weaker immune systems they are susceptible to infections. What if a pitch occupant had Salmonella, E. Coli or C. diff which then got passed on to a vulnerable person who occupied the pitch next?

To date I have never seen such an elaborate waste hose in use,

it is probably not even obtainable over here in the UK :rolleyes: