Baltic Wharf Campsite Is Closing

Hi everyone

I have put this on before but can't find it now.

Just a quick resume:

The mayor of Bristol made a decision to close the campsite without consultation with the local trader who will be greatly affected - even the councillors didn't know!

Matt, who is a local businessman, is running a campaign to keep it open. He has sent me this video of him presenting a petition to the council.

Please have a look at it and email the mayor (details at the end) if you think it should be kept open

. Hello Steph, hope you're well and enjoying the weather?

Here's a link to a video of us taking on City Hall! bit. ly/1pRC6ll
Feel free to share as much as possible, now is the time to pressure the Mayor!
All the best,
Matt
We have a Freedom of Information Request in to Bristol Council asking for the background to the decision which they are resisting. An appeal against their refusal to give us any info. is in and they say will be answered by the end of the wek which is outside the time limit they are allowed - so we will see!! Vested interests I think

I thought it was supposed to be for a new council run primary school, open to all, though I suppose some kids might have wealthy parents. .

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

You may be right Andy, but it is close to a wealthy neighbourhood.

Park Street and the Clifton Downs

If it is to close why do the Caravan Club do a feature on the site in this months magazine with no reference to it being a waste of time thinking about a booking?

Anorak

Swift Sprite Alpine 4 + Ford Kuga Titanium 2. 0 TDCI 180

The design of the new school was in the local paper sme months ago!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

• 1 month later...

We have been to Baltic Wharf numerous times and is perfect for going into Bristol so it is a massive loss to Bristol but unfortunately I don't think anyone is going to be able to stop it becoming a school. .. what I can't understand is why you would want to place a school in the middle of two large rivers that would potentially cause a huge health and safety risk. .. one of the nice things was that you could get the riverboat into town but the children obviously aren't going to do that.

We have tried many times to get in before it closes and apart from the odd night midweek it is impossible as it is totally fully booked :-(

The CC have jointly released a statement with the city council. It can be found here:

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/news-and-events/news/club-news/2014/august/future-of-baltic-wharf

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Good for Matt. Looks a well put together campaign. This Mayor is developing a reputation for pushing things through and perhaps not being as democratic as he should be.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Just received this today from Matt who is running the campaign to save the Baltic Wharf Caravan Site.

Although he doesn’t say it in his email to me the rumour is that the council have said the Caravan Club can stay open for another year while they finalise the plans for the school. Let’s hope this is their way to back down over their bad decision to close.

Thanks everyone who has been behind us in the campaign. .

Steph and John

Hello All! Apologies for the lack of communication. We've been having quite a few 'behind the scenes' meetings which can now be shared.
Ultimately The Caravan Club have announced today that they will be keeping the site open until at least August 2015! Many thanks to Debra for the link today: http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/news-and-events/news/club-news/2014/august/future-of-baltic-wharf
We've been meeting with the Mayor of Bristol who, understandably, has many pressures for school places in an expanding City. However, he is also now very aware of the value this site brings to the local community and keen to explore any potential solutions. In his words, "This conversation is not over!".
We have also met with the 3 high level Bristol City Council Officers leading the plans for redevelopment of the site. They have our report and are now fully informed of the HUGE value that the site brings economically, culturally and environmentally to the local area. We also highlighted that scrapping such a wonderful facility that has been in place for over 30 years, would fundamentally change the nature of the local area. Will will continue pushing for a win-win solution throughout the entire process.
As always, we have kept a distance from the Caravan Club itself in order to preserve the independence and credibility of our Campaign. However, if anybody wished to press them on their formal position then that would certainly be an interesting piece of information to be shared!
Thanks for your continued support everyone! If we keep up our efforts then we could save this unique and valuable asset for Bristol!

Matt

Save Bristol Campsite Campaign

Bookings for Baltic Wharf until the end of March 2015 have opened today, you might have to be quick!!! Bookings for the remainder of the time the site is open will start, as usual, in early December.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

What is the attraction of visiting yet another "dirty" city? We would avoid any city site due to congestion and traffic issues. I think the only city we would like to visit is York, but would not stay on the CC site in the centre of York as probably would not get a wink of sleep with all the traffic noise. :D

Many thanks for this - we've been trying to get in here for ages. Now booked for a week in March!

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

What great news we have booked a week end in March long may we be able to do this on this gem of a site . delta TI owner before you put this site down I sugest you visit it may be in a city but the location is unique not much noise and certainly very relaxing we park next to our pitch and use the small ferry into the city centre very relaxing and certainly stress free .

What is the attraction of visiting yet another "dirty" city? We would avoid any city site due to congestion and traffic issues. I think the only city we would like to visit is York, but would not stay on the CC site in the centre of York as probably would not get a wink of sleep with all the traffic noise. :D

Many, many attractions of staying in a city and only a few drawbacks IMO. I would think traffic noise would only be an issue if your normal home is completely isolated.

Traffic moves so slowly in Bristol it hardly makes any noise at all!

Theres always one that want to try and pee on ya chips!

Perhaps that "dirty city" with the traffic noise has made it probably one of the most popular CC sites in the country?

Edited by Scaramanga

Theres always one that want to try and pee on ya chips!

Perhaps that "dirty city" with the traffic noise has made it probably one of the most popular CC sites in the country?

Agreed. We use our caravan for both city breaks, usually in the winter and also for get away from it breaks. We have been to Bristol earlier this year, parked up and ditched the car for 4 days and walked into the city or caught the bus. We are off to Crystal Palace at the end of this month and will do the same (well, the bus bit).

In fact, we use our caravan like a hotel - where else can you get full en suite facilities in our cities for two for under £20 a night :D

looking to go in April or May for a few days so really good news for us,I'll keep an eye on the website for availability

Bailey Indiana S. 6 and Hyundai i800 auto

Thanks for the tip guys, I have just booked a week in March. My favourite city.

Paul

2009 2. 5 Kia Sorento
2012 Bailey Unicorn Valencia