2012 Mercedes C220 Estate Pulling Valencia Mk1?

Mow Cop Ken

A dealer near us has a very nice 2012 Mercedes C220 estate for sale at the right price. Whattowcar gives it weight rating of 90% against our Series 1 Bailey Unicorn Valencia. Does anyone tow the same outfit or near and, if so, any comments?

I know commonsense says I should keep our 2010 Sorento KX2, but I have been driving Sorentos for some time and I fancy a change.

Waiting to hear from you. ....

I've towed a Valencia from day one at over 90%, not a problem.

Xtrail I thought needed more torque which the Merc probably has, and some give max torque at 1500rpm now, it might be worth checking.

Power isn't a problem with the Mazda.

I tow an elddis crusader with my c250 and it is good, though stability is helped I suspect by being a twin axle not sure whether yours is or not.

Edited by stattam

I tow a Mk1 Valencia with an A6 Avant which is a similar weight and power though it is an auto.

Just back from a 370 mile each way trip to Cornwall from Norfolk. No problem.

Charlie

I've got the 220 CDi saloon and it tows my Avocet ( 1,350 mgw )a dream ( C220 saloon has a 1800kgm towing limit) PLUS I believe that the C220 estate of that ilk has self levelling suspension on the back which is a bonus.

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

I tow a pegasus mk2 Verona (1490gk) with a c250cdi estate. The car has more then enough pulling power but just be aware the towball limit is only 75kg. Other then that more then happy with this combo

mercedes vito dueliner mercedes c250cdi amg sport estate/bailey pegasus verona 2012

Forgot to mention. Fuel economy towing worst 27mpg best 33mpg. Solo short runs low 40s on a good run mid 50s. Mines a 2010 with 5 speed box a 2012 will have the 7 speed box which should give even better mpg

mercedes vito dueliner mercedes c250cdi amg sport estate/bailey pegasus verona 2012

I tow an elddis crusader with my c250 and it is good, though stability is helped I suspect by being a twin axle not sure whether yours is or not.

The Elddis Crusader Tempest Twin axle is a heavy van with a MIRO of 1670kg and a MTPLM of 1850kg so your towing ratio must be in excess of 100% , the C250 estates are not that heavy

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Thanks - heart ruled my head and went for the deal, now paid deposit. Detachable towbar being fitted then collect on Friday with first towing trip to Sheringham on 16 August for 4 nights then a 5 week tour of Scotland starting on 23 August.

I tow a Challenger 570 with our Merc 220, no problems at all and traveling around Europe last month returned 34. 7mp over 2300 miles of which approx 400 were solo, average speed over was 34. 3mph you won't get that with the Sorento. Must add that another 650 miles are to be added during which the overall mpg dropped to 30. 1, this was the homeward leg where we encountered storms and the most horrendous headwinds, down to one lane over the bridges at Le Harve which was extremely hairy. I don't do heights either so doubly bad.

Make sure the fitter is using the dedicated wiring harness for the Merc otherwise you will have problems been there etc etc.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

At 34--35mph I would not be to sure of that, I tow a 2011 Eccles Moonstone weighing in at 1615kg with my KX2. Over a 6000 mile trip around Italy and back most of which was towing it returned 28mpg at an average speed of 52mph. These figures are brim to brim, not computer generated

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

I can Co n firm the efficiency of these new Merc engines just returned from a 1000 mile trip I averaged 33. 4mpg towing 1800kg and I have the more powerful 250 engine.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I can Co n firm the efficiency of these new Merc engines just returned from a 1000 mile trip I averaged 33. 4mpg towing 1800kg and I have the more powerful 250 engine.

Phil.

How did you manage that Phil? I towed 1500kg, with 4 of us in it, plus 4 bikes on the roof at 26. 4mpg

Ken - We find a noseweight of approx 65kg suits the car the best. Also, make sure the heavy stuff is right over the rear axle of the car

What year is your car? is the engine one of the Blue motion efficiency ones like mine with stop start etc?

Phil.

Phil. It's a 2013 (latest facelift) one with stop start as standard. The manual does say to turn off the Eco when towing

Maybe I enjoy the gas pedal too much. ...

Yes I always have it on sport when towing, however I always set the cruise at 55mph.

Phil.

Make sure the fitter is using the dedicated wiring harness for the Merc otherwise you will have problems been there etc etc.

Phil.

You don't need to pay extra for the dedicated wiring loom, mine was fitted without this and is fine, several hundred pounds cheaper. I used Matrix ice in Cheadle, cracking job and a lifetime warranty and annual service to check everything is ok.

At 34--35mph I would not be to sure of that, I tow a 2011 Eccles Moonstone weighing in at 1615kg with my KX2. Over a 6000 mile trip around Italy and back most of which was towing it returned 28mpg at an average speed of 52mph. These figures are brim to brim, not computer generated

I AM sure of that thanks, I wouldn't want the OP to purchase on the back of miss truths

Well I can only say that because of the led lighting on my car the normal wiring harness simply didn't work.

Phil.

You don't need to pay extra for the dedicated wiring loom, mine was fitted without this and is fine, several hundred pounds cheaper. I used Matrix ice in Cheadle, cracking job and a lifetime warranty and annual service to check everything is ok.

I AM sure of that thanks, I wouldn't want the OP to purchase on the back of miss truths

I am equally sure that at 34mph my sorento KX2 is capable of returning towing fuel consumption figures comparable with those of your Merc.

I am equally sure that at 34mph my sorento KX2 is capable of returning towing fuel consumption figures comparable with those of your Merc.

just providing figures from our run.

34mph was the average speed over 2300, I don't hang around but I don't speed either. Your average speed of 52mph over 6000 miles !!! fancifull. . I wasn't going to get into this kids playground type of thing but as you started it. ..

Edited by Phil O

just providing figures from our run.

34mph was the average speed over 2300, I don't hang around but I don't speed either. Your average speed of 52mph over 6000 miles !!! fancifull. . I wasn't going to get into this kids playground type of thing but as you started it. ..

Nothing fanciful about it, 6000 miles of mainly continental motorway cruise set to 65mph. log kept of time & distance travelled and fuel used over two years holidays. Local transport used at destination so no local driving.

Nothing fanciful about it, 6000 miles of mainly continental motorway cruise set to 65mph. log kept of time & distance travelled and fuel used over two years holidays. Local transport used at destination so no local driving.

Yeah ok !

Stage 1 completed - collected car last Friday and impressed so far. Trying to get used to the hold brake, the park (hand) brake and the stop/start - so far, manage to 'lose' the engine twice at traffic lights and had to switch off the ignition and start again. That bit isn't so popular with other motorists behind me!

Stage 2 is Wednesday with a detachable towbar being fitted.

Stage 3 is Friday - bring the caravan from storage, load up then off to a newish CL just outside Sheringham for 4 nights, then, if all ok, a 5 week tour of Scotland.

I too find it fancifull, we log every mile and every litre of fuel and know exactly what our average speed and fuel consumption are and over many more miles have never achieved even 50mph average. The only way you could have got near was by your admitted speeding in most of the countries you visited, only Belgium or France (with a small outfit) allow 65mph

Edited by David in Cheshire

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk