Caravan Not Cris Registered - Can You Still Check Its History?

gcltd

Hi, my friend is arranging to view a caravan (2003) from a private local seller, it's not CRiS registered although the owners state they have completed the forms and just sent them off in order to register it.

Is there a way to check the history of this van still? stolen? finance etc etc?

Many Thanks

It will still be recorded if stolen or on HP. It can be difficult to register a caravan if it is still in someone elses name and they have not informed of change of owner like a car and dvla.

Contact CRiS. Some insurance companies require a caravan to be registered.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Chris will only respond to a registered owner or the Police when asked in my experience.

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

I thought you can get a check for 15 quid.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Used to I think but when ever I try now when checking traveller vans I have to have a Policeman do it for me.

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

According to the CRiS website

All caravans produced since 1992 by NCC members, are recorded on CRiS under their unique 17 digit VIN. This VIN and the description of the caravan are recorded on the Touring Caravan Registration Document that is supplied by CRiS and sent to the caravan’s registered keeper.

It would therefore seem that if the caravan was built by an NCC member it will have been registered but not necessarily to the present keeper. When the current owner requests registration in their name the registry will check their records to see if there is outstanding HP and whether the caravan has been notified as stolen. They will also need to check with the previous keeper, if they can be contacted and are willing to co-operate, when and how they disposed of it. They may also need to be satisfied that the present keeper has genuine claim to be registered as keeper.

This voluntary system does fall down a bit if anyone fails to co-operate. There is no obligation to register change of ownership and a caravan could easily have several more owners than CRiS are aware of. I know from personal experience that the delay between purchase, notifying CRiS, waiting for the previous owner to respond to their enquiry and having the van registered in my name was several months, plenty of time for me to sell it on rendering the whole "check" meaningless.

Shug.

• 1 month later...

I recently contacted CRiS to register "Robin" (1982) and was told i needed the Bill of Sale (or a full purchase receipt not a transaction proof), previous owners written statement of transfer (executors of estate not accepted) and then they stumped the registration fee £15 ish, the HP search fee (£19 ish) as after 35 years it might still have HP on it. .. yeah right! the window etching kit. (i didnt hear the ££ i just handed phone to the bank manager. )

According to the CRiS website

It would therefore seem that if the caravan was built by an NCC member it will have been registered but not necessarily to the present keeper. When the current owner requests registration in their name the registry will check their records to see if there is outstanding HP and whether the caravan has been notified as stolen. They will also need to check with the previous keeper, if they can be contacted and are willing to co-operate, when and how they disposed of it. They may also need to be satisfied that the present keeper has genuine claim to be registered as keeper.

Automatic participation in this voluntary procedure only applies to NCC member manufacturers.

If the caravan is of foreign manufacture it may not have been CRiS registered

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel