Newbie Help Needed!

Moogiemoodle

I have got two problems and I'm probably being daft with both but it's just me and my 4 yr old and she isn't much of a sounding board when it comes to caravanning tech stuff! I'm new to caravanning so any advice at all really appreciated. I bought a 1994 swift minuette recently which is in storage (no EHU) as I can't keep it at my house. The previous owner showed me that everything worked. He owned a campsite so bought it from there where obviously EHU was not a problem. I haven't used it yet, planning to next week.

1. When the water system was demonstrated to me it worked fine but the water was hideously full of ick. I don't want to arrive on site next week only to start my holiday by cleaning and draining the system (plus my 4 yr old with aspergers isn't going to put up with me doing it!) so have tried to do it now. The water heater only runs off mains electric and presumably gas. I have no idea how to light the gas for it although understand the cooker, stove, heater so it needs electric. Does the water heater also serve as the internal water pump switch? I understand the concept of micro switches in the taps. There is a manual foot pump in the kitchen area. I going to have to wait until I get on site? Everything I have read (except the manual which doesn't mention one) says once you've connected the pump and submerged it in the aquaroll, turn on the water pump. Also how do you light the water heater using gas? The manual seems suitably vague on it!

2. The battery meter in the caravan shows the leisure battery as being almost completely empty. Took it home and put it on charge and it shows as being full (3 stage charger). Is the battery knackered? Don't want to waste money on a new one if I'm being stupid about it :)

Thank you!

Sounds like fun!!!

The water heater should have a small control panel which you can select gas on/off and sometimes temperature, it will probably have warning lights to show flame failure / correct operation etc. On an old Swift that I had all of the controls and fuses were grouped together.

The water pump in the Aquaroll will provide water pressure for hot and cold water, the cold water being fed into the heater.

BEFORE you operate the heater on gas or electric make sure it's filled with water first.

It may take several attempts to light on gas due to air in the pipes. It helps if you light the gas hob first and let it run until the flame is burning steady. This should purge most of the air out of the pipes. Turn off the hob then switch the water heater on gas.

Brian

It sounds as if it has not been serviced for some time, or had the water system cleaned and sterilised.

If the battery was very low then it may well be beyond its lifetime and normally a 3 stage charger will not work until the battery voltage is at least 10v.

I would strongly suggest that before you use it with your Son that you get the van serviced by a mobile engineer and get him to show you how everything works, and he will ensure all the appliances are safe to use.

Thank you for your help everyone. Service booked for Thursday as I still can't find any control panels! I must be utterly blind but hopefully the engineer can show me. ..

Service booked for Thursday

Sensible thing to do, I hope you both enjoy the caravan when it is sorted, :D

Dave & Annette .

07 Kia Sorento 2. 5 CRDi XE --- 2012 Lunar Clubman CK