Height Of Touring Caravan? Standard Domestic Garage Door?

offtobirtree

Hi all

New member to the forum, not yet an owner but hoping to be in the near future.

Have been looking at a few local classified ads and the usual internet places for a second hand touring

Strange thing that almost all adverts have weights, length and width dimensions but NEVER it would seem do the ads or the van specs on sites like this have the height.

Wouldnt you think that would be useful information or am I missing something?

Anyway the question I need to resolve is whether I can store my prospective purchase in my garage at home which is of a pretty standard size. Its nice and long at nearly 7m but do people manage typically to get a 2 or 4 berth van through their garage door?

Seems a friendly place, we looking forward to making your acquaintances.

Without knowing the dimensions of your garage door I'd say it was highly unlikely.

A "standard" up and over garage door is around 2. 1m high. ... most modern caravans are approx. 2. 6m high (including the aerial).

My neighbour had his up and over door removed and had two separate vertical opening doors fitted. ... but he also had to raise the roof of the garage.

HTH.

G.

P. S. Welcome to the forum!!!!

Edited by chapmag

Typically a standard caravan is around 2. 6m high. Depends upon the age or type of van you are looking at tbh.

Without knowing the dimensions of your garage door I'd say it was highly unlikely.

A "standard" up and over garage door is around 2. 1m high. ... most modern caravans are approx. 2. 6m high (including the aerial).

My neighbour had his up and over door removed and had two separate vertical opening doors fitted. ... but he also had to raise the roof of the garage.

HTH.

G.

P. S. Welcome to the forum!!!!

Thanks G, yes I expect you're right if 2. 6m is about average. I am already thinking about getting me doors extended!

Typically a standard caravan is around 2. 6m high. Depends upon the age or type of van you are looking at tbh.

Cheers MM, you can obviously get the micro vans at circa 2m in height, but very expensive and way more than I have to spend at the mo, alas

Edited by offtobirtree

The smaller Eriba will fit in a garage, even then the door will need raising

with a removable threshold panel to make up the difference.

The roof may also need two or three courses of bricks extra to raise the roof.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome: . ...............................you could always lower the floor! :ph34r::D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Welcome to the forum! :welcome: . ...............................you could always lower the floor! :ph34r::D

I know Eriba owners have fitted bare steel rims to enable the garage to be used.

Silver caravans. They manufacture pop up caravans that are low enough to fit in a garage .

They are also lower creating less drag when towing .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

:welcome: Offtobirtree,

Caravanners who wish to keep their vans inside an average garage ususally go for a folding caravan such as the Gobur or Carousel, or a trailer tent such as the Sunncamp or Camplet.

Good luck, John.

I store my caravan in a 'garage'. But it's not a standard garage. It is a timber building I erected as a photographic studio and therefore had extra working height. ... inside. The reason I mention inside specifically is because it's not just the door you have to get through but under the roof support beams. ( sorry if that was obvious)

My roof A beams are set at 3metre and so the gable end, where the door is located, had spare capacity to increase the height of the standard height garage doors that I originally fitted.

There are two things to consider. ...

1. The aerial, flue pipe and roof windows all protrude and are INCLUDED in the declared caraavan height. This means that IF the beams are set favourably, there IS some latitude. Ie my flue pipe doesn't need to go under a roof a frame as the fire is forward of the first one.

2. Never forget that you left a roof light open and move the caravan!!! It's just cost me £180 for a replacement dome!!!!

Having said that, never underestimate the value of a covered shelter on your own property if you can do it. It's not just saving the storage fees. The ability to give her a quick wash on each return and put her straight away ready for next trip is brilliant. You can work on her under cover. My garage is insulated so I don't fret over absolute drain drown. Tyres and bodywork are protected from UV. No constant worry about water ingress. .....if there are any leaks they dry out themselves between times.

The only down side is you need a long garage. Mine is 7. 2metre. ..my new caravan is 7. 34m. This means to get at the rear she has to come out a tad and it has meant me cuting a hole and fitting a 'codpiece' on the door . ....to accommodate the few xtra cm of hitch !!

Edited by ericfield

Some people have the ratchet type window opening struts

and they need to fully open in order to close them, often not

possible in the tight confines of a garage!

Some people have the ratchet type window opening struts

and they need to fully open in order to close them, often not

possible in the tight confines of a garage!

Yes I should have emphasised you ideally need an apex roof and kindly positioning of the A frame beams. I was fortunate that my midi Heiki was just beyond a beam so I was able to fit the new dome in situ.

It's amazing how much extra height is needed beyond basic storage for any roof work.

Rapido club seems to be the way to go, 1. 98m high with the pop top down. Plenty of them about 2nd hand as well.