Rain Came Through The Window

Last week we had a terrential downpour with a storm. We was at our caravan which is on a seasonal site at the time, thank goodness. We then noticed rain running in through the side window of our 'van. It didn't appear to be coming in through the window seal as it was coming in down the flyblinds, it seamt to be coming from above. When the rain stopped my hubby checked the window and the roof. He noticed the sealant was crumbly and worn around the top of the awning rail. We got the old sealant out and resealed it the next day, do you think this is where it could of come from? I must be the only person hoping for heavy rain whilst we are there, then we can see if the problem is solved. There isn't any damp or water marks in the 'van where this has happened so I hope it was the first and last time. Any thoughts please?

Thanks in advance, Sandra

What model and year Swift van do you have?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

It's more likely to be the window frame seal where it butts up against the van wall.

I had this after heavy rain,especially when the van is not level side to side and the water runs down the outside walls.

The window frames are sealed to the van with a soft mastic (Seamseal CV ?) and this deteriorates after a few years.

I fixed it by resealing with Soudal Fixall Classic - you need to use a credit card to dig out the worst of the old mastic, clean up with methylated spirits and then seal with the Soudal. The hard bit is getting a clean edge with the new sealant - I used a Fugi tool and lots of kitchen roll.

Edit: Ideally you need to remove the window frame completely to do a proper job, but my service engineer commented that this could cause damage to the frames. Not had a leak since doing mine.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

Its difficult to guess without see it to be honest, but if you have dried out and crumbly sealant it does tell me that it needs replacing so time not wasted there. Could be the window rubber seal or indeed as previously mentioned the sealant behind it. I would run sealant around the inner rubber after inspecting the rubber first.

Running sealant round the inner rubber will just trap water between the outside and the inside and rot the caravan walls. Sort out the outside so it doesn't get in rather than making it worse by holding it in.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

It certainly will if common sense does not tell you to clean and dry the area first! :rolleyes:

Thank you to everyone for the advice, we are also going to seal around the outside window this weekend. We also said the same thing, we don't want to seal inside as the water, if any more, has no place to go then the inner walls will end up damp.

We sold the Swift a few weeks ago and bought a Cristall 2006 Model. Looks perfectly dry so want this solved asap before bad weather arrives.

Thanks again Sandra

That's good, may be also worth sealing the rail above the window and if and when you get time all the other rails. As said son't seal under not inside as it traps the water so it has nowhere to go.

I know some say remove the rails completely but if it's an old caravan it's not always worth it and as i've always said prevention is better than cure, i've always sealed over the tops of all rails on old caravans i've had and no issues so far. Only totally did my current one as it was a rebuild but sealant will break down over time.

Compass Shadow 1988