Sadly Another Caravan Accident.

Seaman

Easy mistake to make. People shouldn't quote unless they give the source.

I did give the source

"The owner of the caravan and 4x4 has responded to the comments on the news article it reads as follows:"

I have edited now to shift the blame to my cat!! :lol:

My apologies Seaman if I didn't make it clear enough, I assumed everyone had read the news article that you link too. Still no harm done and everybody was okay, which is the main thing.

Found out today that this smash was friends of my builder. They were very experienced caravaners, having owned various vans since the 70's. He told our builder that something clipped his van sending it spinning, hence why they ended up facing the wrong way.

Neither of them were seriously hurt although both car & 'van were written off. Hasn't put them off though as they've already purchased a new - well new to them anyway - van - a 1970's American airstream.

This was his 1st smash in over 40 years towing, but it was a big one.

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

So much for a heavy 4x4 as a towing vehicle. Glad no one seriously injured.

Nothing to do with the tow vehicle or it's weight then as it turns out. .

I too am glad no one was seriously injured. .

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

below is a quote from the family involved. Apparently they did NOTHING wrong and doesn't state what occurred for this catastrophe???!!

ANy one ponder what we need to avoid for this to happen to us?

Ok, so we were the family concerned in this accident. Firstly I would like to thank all those kind people who stopped and helped us, the 2 lorry drivers, other families, a centenary nurse, and all the emergency services involved. We are A family of 6, we have been towing caravans for 30+ years never had an accident of any sort in any vehicle. We have helped many less fortunate children have holidays they would never ever have had. Caravan are so wonderful for this! We were not speeding, going fast or doing any manoeuvres except joining the motorway. No other vehicles were involved and we all escaped without injury because we were not going fast. so please do not feel you have to comment on other peoples less fortunate incidents in the manner some have chosen. Perhaps those gawpers on the other side who chose to film our predicament on their mobiles should be fined heavily . ..And all those people who drive along our own residential road at 30+ 40+ and 60+ Miles per hour should be the ones taken off the roads without any further ado. Thank you again all those kind people who helped and how immensely grateful we are that we are all unhurt and safe.

Glammr. See post 19, you have just repeated it.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I would not personally class a Freelander as a big 4x4 either about the same length as a ford focus I would estimate

Edited by Lee21

• 6 years later...

This topic was posted about the accident involving our family back in July 2014… and I’ve just seen it! Some kinder and more sympathetic words than those seen initially on a news post. The accident was horrific but we were incredibly lucky ! Guardian angels with us that day because all of us and our dog were unharmed! Protected by the land rover and two lorry drivers who saw what was happening in front of them! … and a guardian angel! We were making our way onto the M25 on the slip road of A21 so slightly downhill the caravan started to sway swing and then was lost - turning around in an empty 3 lanes ! As we turned upside down the lorries closed ranks so that no one came into us. The police fire brigade and ambulances arrived pretty quickly - the police gave us the all clear the next day saying that it was an accident ( seen on cctv) they felt a gust of wind caught us - wrong place wrong time …. And that sometimes that  happens - no one was to blame! Did put us off caravanning though! We did get a new land rover  and continued for 4 years with the caravan but - due to some members of the family feeling scared of towing in 2019 we purchased a motorhome! We are still caring for children and taking them away with us and use two vehicles though! 
thanks for all the kind comments though! If anyone is still reading this post! 
happy caravanning! 

Thank you Avers, even after 6 years it shows that first hand facts answer all our speculation of what might of occurred leading up to the accident.

well,  Avers, I think that's a first with someone coming on here and saying , that was me!  It makes for interesting reading  to know  first that you are all okay but to know what probably caused the accident.    I was in a motorway accident some years ago, also walked away from it unharmed, but I shall be ever grateful to the lorry driver   who shielded us from the other traffic.

Very glad to hear all are well. This was one of those stories you can’t resist reading. I didn’t notice it was from 2014 until I reached the end of the first page. It’s great that you replied. 

Is this also the longest gap on CT between a post and a reply?

Interesting to read your account Avers, thanks.

Always like to see these old thread revivals as they throw up now gone forum members I had long forgotten about.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

12 hours ago, Benchillian said:

........Is this also the longest gap on CT between a post and a reply?

Another one just resurfaced from 2009.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

We did see a nasty incident on the southbound carriageway of the M5 (around Taunton) yesterday, caravan on its side facing the wrong way but car still the right way up and undamaged. Car appeared to be a smallish hatchback towing a medium sized van. Poor combination in my opinion. I had a bit of a scare too, Police car came haring up the fast lane causing the camper van along side us to hurriedly turn in. I thought he was going to hit us so I swerved onto the hard shoulder, got a bit of an oscillation on but soon corrected it.  we have a good combination kerb to MTPLM less than 80 % (RR Evoque and Swift 565)

On 29/07/2014 at 14:44, mayblossom said:

Or Jeremy Clarkson, bless him ;)

Once had a conversation with the great man on a Radio Scotland phone-in, when he was proposing that caravans travelled at night.

Told him not to be so stupid.