Sadly Another Caravan Accident.

Seaman

The M25 today, hope the occupants of the Defender are ok? The article say overturned caravan, but the Bailey Pegasus looks relatively unscathed.

http://www. kentonline. co. uk/dartford/news/m25-overturned-caravan-20928/

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Awful . ...

We have only been towing for a few weeks but since our first tow we have heard of so many crashes like this.

Hope no one was badly hurt. It certainly makes you think. .......

Was waiting to see if it involved a dark blue subaru legacy in new forest area. ..

Saw the aforementioned towing a single axle bailey ancona.

Three bikes on roof rack, two bikes on rear rack, load space packed to the gunnels, rear compressed so much it was unreal- making the nose lift. Scary.

Hope the defender driver was more safety minded and send my wishes.

M25 has some nasty little downhill stretches. A car/caravan combo is at its least stable situation going downhill. Beware!

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

M25 has some nasty little downhill stretches. A car/caravan combo is at its least stable situation going downhill. Beware!

John. :)

Its pretty flat between J3 & 4, though after J4 it does head off down hill. I used to live about 5 mins from J3 & to be honest its normally about the most accident free spot on the M25, but it seems that yesterday there were 2 accidents in virtually the same spot!!

Used to hate a long downhill section when i had the caravan.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Is there a 'Don't Like' button ?

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Interesting comments in the newspaper article about the crash from Joe numpty. ..aparantly we should only travel at night now. if pulling a van. ..fine if I get a BIG reduction in road fund tax

Interesting comments in the newspaper article about the crash from Joe numpty. ..aparantly we should only travel at night now. if pulling a van. ..fine if I get a BIG reduction in road fund tax

It was interesting to see the likes & dislikes on the comments.

Does annoy me when people moan about caravan accidents as 90% - actually 99% - of accidents on the M25 only involve cars

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

They were so lucky not to be seriously hurt looking at how flat the roof is!

And have you read the comments by readers about having us banned from clogging up roads and only letting us travel at night?

And who'd want to tow a tin box with beds in it ? Book a hotel! We're no worse than anyone else on the road, most of us probably a lot safer :)

Cant beleive anyone pays heed to these "comments" on nespaper articles. A quick look at most would indicate that they are either written by nutters, attention seekers or political party loyalists, depending on the article

I'd love to travel at night but unhitching & setting up the awning at 11pm might not be the easiest thing to do, unless you want a divorce. Also I don't know many sites that have football stadium lighting.

Although last year it took us over 8hrs from South London to Dawlish, left at 11. 30am. But we left Dawlish at 9pm on the Friday night (paid up to the Saturday morning 10am) after fish & chips on the sea front & got home in under 4 hrs ( and very nearly ran out of diesel, on fumes on M23.)

Whilst we will never find out exactly why this happened, there maybe a clue in the article itself:

" It happened after a multi-vehicle crash between J4 for the A21 at Orpington and J3 for the M20 at the Swanley Interchange."

The salient point here being the word after - suggesting the driver was probably not reading the road ahead, saw a pile up too late & stood on the anchors causings the van to jack knife ( unless he had allready passed the pile up - hence after, in which case I bet he still was not paying attention ).

I am sure all caravanners wince a little when the traffic reports advise of yet another caravan accident somewhere or other, but putting these into perspective, I bet there are far more HGV accidents over a 12 month period.

A perfectly matched & balanced outfit (even with ATC) cannot compensate for driver error, which I would suggest could possibly increase if we were all subject to towing at night as some of the ill informed numpties commenting suggested. Luckily it seems no one was badly injured

Edited by lesbunny

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

I would not mention road tax and caravans in the same sentence . Gives people ideas.

I would think the accident would be captured on CCTV as most of the m25 is covered.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

On another thread one of our resident truckers said he was seen to be " weaving and driving inconsiderately "

It's not just caravans, report on the road reports of a "truck" jack-knifed on the A66 5 miles east of Keswick. It turned out to be a LR defender that was towing a flat trailer with a small dumper truck on-board. Bottom of a hill but I bet nose weight and GTW were never looked at.

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

The owner of the caravan and 4x4 has responded to the comments on the news article it reads as follows:

"Ok, so we were the family concerned in this accident. Firstly I would like to thank all those kind people who stopped and helped us, the 2 lorry drivers, other families, a centenary nurse, and all the emergency services involved. We are A family of 6, we have been towing caravans for 30+ years never had an accident of any sort in any vehicle. We have helped many less fortunate children have holidays they would never ever have had. Caravan are so wonderful for this! We were not speeding, going fast or doing any manoeuvres except joining the motorway. No other vehicles were involved and we all escaped without injury because we were not going fast. so please do not feel you have to comment on other peoples less fortunate incidents in the manner some have chosen. Perhaps those gawpers on the other side who chose to film our predicament on their mobiles should be fined heavily . ..And all those people who drive along our own residential road at 30+ 40+ and 60+ Miles per hour should be the ones taken off the roads without any further ado. Thank you again all those kind people who helped and how immensely grateful we are that we are all unhurt and safe."

Hi Digger,

I'm very happy to hear they are all safe, it did look like a terrible accident. I also hope it will not put them off of a pastime that has given them and many children in their care so much pleasure.

Have it been ascertained what was the actual cause, so that we may learn from this?

I was the OP of this thread, and would like you and them to know I didn't post it so that I or anyone else could gloat over their misfortune. This was not my intention, so forgive me if it came across like that?

It is also refreshing to learn that many folk came to their aid, there are still good people around in events like that.

Best wishes

David

Edited to remove errors in interpretation!!

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

David

I think you have misread this. Unless I am wrong it isn't Digger that was involved. It appears he has passed on the comment.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Hi Digger,

I'm very happy to hear you are all safe, it did look like a terrible accident. I also hope it will not put you off of a pastime that has given you and many children in your care so much pleasure.

Pay attention at the back. :) It wasnt digger who had the accident. what he posted was a " quote" from the person involved taken from a publication of some sort.

Pay attention at the back. :) It wasnt digger who had the accident. what he posted was a " quote" from the person involved taken from a publication of some sort.

Cheers Guy's,

I have just re-read Digger's post and you are both right, thanks for the reminder to get my eyes tested!! :lol:

David

Cheers Guy's,

I have just re-read Digger's post and you are both right, thanks for the reminder to get my eyes tested!! :lol:

David

Easy mistake to make. People shouldn't quote unless they give the source.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Easy mistake to make. People shouldn't quote unless they give the source.

I have edited now to shift the blame to my cat!! :lol: