Valencia S2 Status Aerial Water Leak :(

djadria

Just noticed after washing van - a couple of drips under the status aerial.

On investigating - pushed aerial into position - then retracted again - aluminium tube / pole felt damp to touch!

Guess gaiter seals need replacing! It does feel loose when moving pole up abd down.

Fed up now - this will be 3rd visit back to dealer since new in April !

Is this a big job folks?

DJ

Looks easy enough to replace.

http://www. visionplus. co. uk/shop/status-530-540-gaiter-inc-foot-sleve-.html

Not sure if this is your model.

http://www. visionplus. co. uk/assets/pdfs/530_ENG/530_ENG. pdf

Edited by xtrailman

Its the Status 550 on the U2.

I think the foot/ gaiter assembly looks different to 530?

Not sure if whole foot assembly & foot seal has to be replaced or whether just a rubber gaiter is just swapped?

DJ

The gator looks part of the foot and sleeve (bonded and manufactured as one) If that's the case you will have to remover the foot from the roof and re-seal.

Personally before you dive in the deep end . ....... I would raise the aerial to its highest point and clean the alloy shaft, then spray thetford silicon lubricant on the same alloy shaft. Lower the aerial to its base and repeat the procedure (worked for me)

Thanx all for that"...........

Brand new van - so vack to dealers for visit # 3 since April !!!! :(

In that case, best leave it for the dealer to sort out.

Just for information I spray the alloy shaft with this lubricant most times when I clean the roof.

Only 3 thats good, I must have made over a dozen over 2. 5 years.

I this is quite common, and might not actually be a fault, usually if a hose has been used to rinse off the roof, water may of been pushed passed the seal, allowing water to run down the pole, this can also happens during heavy rain if the aerial has bee left up.

of course if its happening all the time then it would be cause of concern.

Thanks caravantech. Just noticed the pole seems looser than my other vans. My old ones would stay up even if large nut not tightened - but this one slides right down. I did squirt water from a distance - under the antenna to clean under its body- and found a couple of drips inside. I think definitely coming along the tube. Pushed pole up and down - felt a little damp/ wet.

But have had heavy rain before no probs. once though noticed a drip when pole was up.

Noticed securing alen grub nut at top of mast sticks out a little and travels into gaiter when put into transit position.

Am I being too fussy?

Ta guys?

Well I've never seen a drip from mine, and I've only just given the caravan roof a hosing down.

I did give the pole a coat of silicon a couple of years ago, just because the pole is quite stiff.