Camping Du Letty.... Knowledge And Feedback Please.

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some insider knowledge and thoughts on Camping Du Letty.

I think I've managed to persuade Mrs Jim that we should take the van abroad next year and Camping Du Letty is on the list of possibles. I have also looked at sites in the Vendee in order to perhaps be more likely to get warm weather.

However CDL appeals for is seaside position and shorter drive (which wil appeal to Mrs J whilst I prove I can drive on the left)

So, we'd look to go most probably in late June so as to decrease the number of children about. We usually book adult only in the country but they are few and far between in France.

We much prefer to be self contained for showering and toilet and I see that CDL picthes are Grand Confort. Will they serve our needs.

The shore side pitches look good. .. worth the extra money?

Finally. .. although we live in mid Buck i reckon we'd cross Plymouth Roscoff and have a coupl eof stops in the West Country before and after. Comments? I presume there are limits to how early one can arrive at Plymouth docks for example?

That's it for now.

TIA

Jim

Unicorn Valencia S1 Xtrail MK4 2. 0DCi

It's not a site we know or are likely to go to, and is only open for a short season, but as no one else has replied I can answer some of your general points.

All sites in France are adult only during school term time ( except for a few young babies with their parents ). Even at weekends French families with older children don't often go to campsites.

All sites in Brittany and further south on that west coast will be very empty in June. Don't bother to book. If you don 't like one site go to the next. Definitely.

Grand Confort in French terms means a tap and a drain within reach. No more luxury than that. All sites have good toilets and showers, but if you want to use your own facilities you may of course do so.

The ferries from Plymouth this year were at 8 am ( you can arrive the previous evening if you wish and sleep in the check in lines) and late in the evening going overnight ( you can arrive many hours before if you really want to).

Sites giving big discounts through the ACSI card scheme and /or Camping Cheques will save you money, but I don't think le Letty is a member of either of those schemes.

Edited by moorgate

For a very detailed and accurate view read Big Tims reviews he has on the forum.

We read it and it made out mind as to try it for our first jaunt to France 3 years ago.

With regards to your specific points I am afraid I am the sort of person you are trying to avoid with my 3 daughters so we were there in August. 😉

I believe it is very quiet outside of the main 4 weeks so I am not sure what of the bar / shop / take away will be open then.

It is only the actual pitches right next to the beach you pay bingo money for, the others on that section are the same price as the rest.

We have had two fabulous holidays there and it is perfect for a family holiday with both the beach and pool complex so close. The facilities are clean and the staff very helpful.

Would I recommend it yes, are we going again this year - no, as Mrs G has requested more sun / heat so we are heading further south.

HTH

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

?............ (which wil appeal to Mrs J whilst I prove I can drive on the left)........

Might be a good idea if you drive on the right in France. I tried driving on the left just the once - the locals weren't best pleased :) :) :)

On a more useful note try this thread

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90527-advice-for-trip-to-brittany-first-time/?hl=letty

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Whoops. .......... that's a telling error! lol

Might be a good idea if you drive on the right in France. I tried driving on the left just the once - the locals weren't best pleased :) :) :)

On a more useful note try this thread
http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/90527-advice-for-trip-to-brittany-first-time/?hl=letty

Thanks, a lot of useful information in your reply

Jim

It's not a site we know or are likely to go to, and is only open for a short season, but as no one else has replied I can answer some of your general points.

All sites in France are adult only during school term time ( except for a few young babies with their parents ). Even at weekends French families with older children don't often go to campsites.

All sites in Brittany and further south on that west coast will be very empty in June. Don't bother to book. If you don 't like one site go to the next. Definitely.

Grand Confort in French terms means a tap and a drain within reach. No more luxury than that. All sites have good toilets and showers, but if you want to use your own facilities you may of course do so.

The ferries from Plymouth this year were at 8 am ( you can arrive the previous evening if you wish and sleep in the check in lines) and late in the evening going overnight ( you can arrive many hours before if you really want to).

Sites giving big discounts through the ACSI card scheme and /or Camping Cheques will save you money, but I don't think le Letty is a member of either of those schemes.

Hi,

I'll have a read of that review at lunch time.

In a few years time I expect we'll be holidaying more in school holiday times and taking our Grandson as soon as he's old enough. For now we've done the children bit and enjoy a bit more peace.

I certainly think the site could be ideal in terms of a first jaunt and would keep driving distance down for me.

However your comment about your wife requesting more sun/heat rings loud in my ears as Mrs Jim will be put totally off if we have a cold wet week. (Her idea of cold is very different to mine!)

I had originally thought to head down to the Vendee but was struggling to pick a site. I may look again, especially as it's been conformed that sites are mostly adults outside of the main holiday period.

Cheers

Jim

For a very detailed and accurate view read Big Tims reviews he has on the forum.

We read it and it made out mind as to try it for our first jaunt to France 3 years ago.

With regards to your specific points I am afraid I am the sort of person you are trying to avoid with my 3 daughters so we were there in August.

I believe it is very quiet outside of the main 4 weeks so I am not sure what of the bar / shop / take away will be open then.

It is only the actual pitches right next to the beach you pay bingo money for, the others on that section are the same price as the rest.

We have had two fabulous holidays there and it is perfect for a family holiday with both the beach and pool complex so close. The facilities are clean and the staff very helpful.

Would I recommend it yes, are we going again this year - no, as Mrs G has requested more sun / heat so we are heading further south.

HTH

Mike

It is a very busy site, loads of Brits here as we'll. As for arriving at Plymouth, we got there around 6 the night before we sailed, we parked in the ferry lanes got the chairs out and had a couple of beers. All the kids got together and we had a good night.