Air Conditioning

Eclipse

Hi everyone, Does anyone one have any real knowledge of AC's for caravans. I had one that lasted 10 years which I replaced with a new one last year which was supposed to be better but even at todays lower 22c temp my Ac will not achieve the target of 16c

Any help would that would arm me to go back to the supplier would be helpful :huh:

Hi, and welcome.

What make of air con do you have?

Is the unit big enough for you caravan?

Are the blower outlets up near the ceiling or near the floor ?

Near the ceiling is better as hot air rises. We're using a truma sapphire, the model that fits under the bed/seating and we have just returned from Granada where the temperatures where in the high 30's and our unit coped without a problem.

Edited by lute

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Post what model caravan and ac unit and maybe someone with a bit of tech knowledge could see if it should be suitable

@ Lute, we're thinking of changing our noisy roof mounted Dometic for one of those Saphires. Can you give me your opinion of how quiet they are? They are advertised as being quiet enough to run at night but I am wary of manufacturers claims for noise levels, they are often wildly optimistic.

Hi

A caravan/motorhome is like a greenhouse on a hot day, so you have to "help" the aircon.

We run the aircon in the motorhome and close the blinds on the sunny side and close the roof blinds. The windows on the sunny side are open on the night vent and the roof vents are open just a smudge

If you don't stop some of the suns rays getting in, the aircon will simply lose the battle

We have a Dometic B2200 system and even at 36 degrees in Italy, it can get the van at least 10 degrees cooler, but wilth the windows and blinds as described.

Also, we close of the rear part of the motorhome/bedroom, until a time we want that area to be cooled - ie the aircon unit is working to cool a smaller area.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

syandi

The air con has 3 setting, the lowest is the one we use at night the unit is under my bed, (we have 2 singles), and there have been times that I have heard the comperessor start up, but thats always been because I was just getting up or returning from the loo, It's that's an age thing, that I hope you never suffer from. Having said that it's never stopped me going back to sleep and the other half says that she's not aware of any noise that disturbers her sleep.

I have trouble hearing the unit working when in the awning and if I'm 9/12 feet away it's practicaly inaudable and has never, as far I know, upset people in the next pitch

They only push out cold air there is no heating element

We have just returned from a trip to Granada and it was very hot, we never turned the air con off the 4 night 3 days, on it's high setting during the day we where away, it's very economical and we where able to use our electric kettle, toaster and telly all at the same time without problems, we did have a 10 amp connection though.

Our caravan is only 5 metres long inside so I bought the smaller unit of the sapphire range

We have heard the roof mounted units and some are very loud

Lute - did you fit this yourself? Does it share the blown-air heating ducts or does it have its own?

Thanks,

Tony

I did fit mine and Ive taken some pics but it's new camera, new software and I'm haveing a problem reducing the size.

It's a bad idea fitting the cold air into the heating outlets. They need to be up by the ceiling. Hot air rises. I made a thin plywood duct to take the 3 outlet that you get with the air con and channeled the pipe work through the cupboards. Minimum space taken. Depending on your layout you can buy a purpose made ducting, but it puts all 3 outlets together, whereas I've three seperate outlets, bedroom, kitchen and door.

I have also fitted 2 extra silencers in the pipe line and another in the floor outlet, that one keeps the neighbours happy.

The only thing I would say is take care not to mount it over the chassis member.

I'll work on getting the pics on here

OK pics are here, hope you can understand them First pic shows silencer in cupboard

post-19000-0-06093100-1406666094_thumb.jpg

post-19000-0-08456000-1406666068_thumb.jpg

post-19000-0-13275500-1406666114_thumb.jpg

post-19000-0-29313000-1406666134_thumb.jpg

post-19000-0-82884900-1406666151_thumb.jpg

Edited by lute

I have a Dometic B2200 I had a Dometic B1990 before and this was supposedly a inferior unit but it worked better, anyway I have booked it in to get it checked but something is questioning that it might be the remote as it wont turn on with the timer. It's not that you can work the AC without the remote either

And yes it has been confirmed that it is the right size and roof mounted

Edited by Eclipse