Subaru Outback 3.0R Any Good?

joncro

Hi guys looking at possibly getting a subaru outback 3. 0r, it will be towing a bailey pageant moselle est weight 1250kg fully laden. Has anyone got any real world experience of these cars and towing ability?

I can live with the petrol costs if the car proves to be reliable.

Thanks

Jon

I had a Legacy 3. 0R and it was a fantastic car to drive solo - however I didn't have a caravan then just a big Conway folding camper. The car was very reliable I had no problems 90k and 5 years old and the guy who bought it off me kept it for another 4 years and didn't have anything go wrong.

I found the Outback more wallowy then the Legacy and didn't really like the ride - hence getting the Legacy but that is just a personal thing

Only thing is you will get almost the same torque with an Audi 2. 0 TDI engine and almost the same performance. Servicing was a bit to frequent as well.

I have had a few Subarus and they are great cars but until they do a decent Auto diesel they won't be on my buying list

Thanks Jack, I know my clutch is on its last legs and thought it would be a good time to get an automatic but for my budget 6k a lot of big automatic diesel estates have done 150k miles. Probably back to the drawing board! I should add its not just the clutch for reason of wanting a new motor.

The Subaru Outback is a sublime towcar - if you can live with it's fuel consumption and it's surprisingly low kerbweight - of course it doesn't handle as well as a Legacy 3. 0R because the CoG is higher and it doesn't get the "R" handling pack - unlike the Legacy however, it does get self-levelling rear suspension and a rear LSD. .

With a 1250kg caravan on the back, your biggest problem will be avoiding a speeding ticket for exceeding 70 - I know the limit is 60 but the Outback is that good !

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

My Outback is a brilliant tow car, it,s a 2. 0 dse, manual diesel, this year towing to Spain & back with my Lunar Ultima (1495 kg) I achieved an average of 31. 5 mpg with about 2300 towing & 400 solo. I don't agree with the comments on wallowy ride, mine has self levelling suspension & hardly pitches at all when towing, the extra ride height is great for towing off muddy pitches . I must admit that I am a more sedate driver than I used to be but I don't find the ride & handling bad at all, horses for courses I suppose.

The only thing I would worry about with the 3. 0 petrol is the mpg & make sure there are no problems, I had a quote for over £450 for a set of front pads & discs from my Subaru dealer, I could have done it my self for £150 but my local garage quoted £170, he got the job !. By the way, that is the only item I have had repaired in nearly 6 years of ownership & 57000 miles, 20000 towing, so if you get a good one they do last & are very reliable, just expensive for dealer spares & servicing.

To Happy Jack, they do sell an auto diesel now but Personally I think they have gone a bit daft on pricing, when I bought mine It was targeted at the Passat price range but now someone at head office has jerked it up to the BMW 3 series,Merc C class,Audi A4 price bracket & it just does not feel as nice inside as one of those. I had a 3 series 2. 0 dse from new for 8 years & was lent a Merc C class for the day whilst my wife's Subaru Justy was in for its service, both were classier inside than my Outback, BUT, I wouldn't swap my car for either of those cars, the Subaru is a better all round vehicle.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Sounds like an outback could be back on the cards then chaps! I know the 3 litre produces about 245bhp with a similar torque figure, would one with 120k on clock put you buying one? Also ant idea mpg I should get when towing?

Looks a lot of car for the money and on paper ticks all the boxes.

Black grouse, have you towed with a outback 3. 0 because I also noticed the kerbweight was low for a 3 litre. I wonder how stable it would?

Black grouse, have you towed with a outback 3. 0 because I also noticed the kerbweight was low for a 3 litre. I wonder how stable it would?

I towed with a 2. 5 Outback automatic which was 1500kg kerbweight, with a 1250kg caravan on the back - it was totally stable at 80 (don't ask) - towing fuel consumption was 18mpg, I'd expect the 3. 0 to be a little less.

My Outback cost less to run, in terms of dealer servicing and repairs, than previous Fords and Vauxhalls.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Sounds like an outback could be back on the cards then chaps! I know the 3 litre produces about 245bhp with a similar torque figure, would one with 120k on clock put you buying one? Also ant idea mpg I should get when towing?

Looks a lot of car for the money and on paper ticks all the boxes.

Lot of car for the money is right, mine came with, heated front seats, electrically adjustable drivers seat with memories (2 I think) , leather upholstery, HID ( xenon) headlights, full size alloy spare wheel, 2 zone climate control, fog lights, 6 cd autochanger, plus loads of other gizmos that you would pay extra for on German luxury cars.

It also drives brilliantly in the kind of weather that has other cars crabbing sideways.

There is a new completely revised model out later this year, if Subaru UK can sort out the pricing as they have done with some of their other models, I may be interested.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

thanks guys, I may try a take one out for test drive!