What Size Sky Dish Do I Need?

Hi all,

We are going to be living in our caravan shortly due to moving houses but new house not ready yet. We will be taking our sky box so we don't miss our programs (normally stays at home recording while we are away).

We would like to get the caravan setup for sky as we will use it again in the future in UK and France etc.

I'd like to fit a sky connector x2 in the battery box and run an internal cable from there to two different locations. Can I use a splitter so that one cable can feed 2 locations and the second cable gets split to feed the same 2 locations?

Basically cable A feeds tv point 1 and 2 and cable B feeds tv point 1 and 2 so i have 2 sky cables at each location.

They won't be in use at the same time but allows us to move location if needed.

Also dish sizes. We were looking on ebay at sellers with a Zone 2 80cm dish with signal finder and also Zone 1 60cm dish.

What size should I be looking for and will it work in France. I don't expect it'll work fully in the far south but something is better than nothing.

Thanks

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

60cm dish will work well in the uk as well as northern france. Use a quad LNB that should do the job

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 2.2 CDRi

Bailey Senator Wyoming Series 6 2009

Splitting a satellite signal is not recommended. You will need a quad (4 outlet) LNB and feed the receivers each with 2 cables from the LNB.

Dish size.

A 60cm dish will only get you about half way down France.

An 80cm will get you almost to the south, so if you can carry it, a 1m dish would be your best bet.

A 1. 2m dish would almost guarantee a signal even in adverse weather conditions.

Look for a dish with a folding or easily detachable arm.

Check here. www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/dishsizes. htm

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Just want to confirm I am only using 1 sky + receiver and we sometimes use it in two different locations. Do I still need to run four different cables all through the caravan?

Car - Range Rover Autobiography and a Range Rover Vogue
Caravan - 2015 Compass Rallye 644 with Isabella Commodore, Isabella Magnum Coal 250 and Isabella Eclipse
Trailer - Sankey Mk3 Widebody

If you are using your Sky box in two different locations and wish to record in both places then you will need four cables, two at each position. However, you could use a video sender and only have two cables to one location, and send the signal wirelessly to the second position.

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

It is probably simpler to have four cables within the caravan. .. Quad LNBs are very common and may be cheaper than twin ones anyway. You could use just two at a time and re-plug the external connection to the location you are using if you wish.

You could do it with two satellite splitters and just two inputs to the caravan so long as you only ever have one 'position' pair connected/in use at any time. .. but that will lose over half the received signal (splitting loses 4dB typically) and will give you problems in the more distant parts of France etc. ,. so you'll need to remove the splitters then. ..

You could also feed two cables from LNB via battery box to one location and have a further two cables from there on to the second location. Then have two short 'U-link' joiner cables to feed the signal on when you relocate the $ky box.

Decent cable isn't that expensive if bought in bulk. DO make sure it is solid copper core, copper braided screen and coper foil for longevity. Webro WF100 is an example.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I am using a 1. 2 dish and from the south of France through Italy, Austria, and Germany I have been receiving reduced programmes, Amsterdam I got the lot but here in Belgium the trees have beat me and I have no tv at all.

I am very good at finding a spot and many time have lugged the dish 50 or 60 metres away to find the right spot but here beat me.

The bigger the dish you can carry will be better

You could also feed two cables from LNB via battery box to one location and have a further two cables from there on to the second location. Then have two short 'U-link' joiner cables to feed the signal on when you relocate the $ky box.

From what I now understand from Rodders post (above), you simply need a twin (2 outlets) LNB feeding two cables to your receiver position No. 1.

When you want to move the receiver to position No. 2, you simply need to extend the length of the original pair by joining the extending cable pair with threaded connectors (for connecting two “F” plugs).

See; http://www. satcure. co. uk/accs/page7. htm#leads

So between position 1 and position 2 you simply need to install a pair of cables, each fitted with “F” plugs at either end.

This would of course entail, removing the cables from the back of the receiver and connecting them to the extension pair. Finally moving and re-connecting the receiver at position 2.

Vin Blanc

Sorry, I seem to have a problem reproducing a picture of the connector

Edited by Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Sorry, I seem to have a problem reproducing a picture of the connector

Ah, got it! See below

Vin Blanc

post-42228-0-82545500-1406562848.gif

If it just to use on 2 TV's would a magic eye from the 9volt RF terminal on the skybox work,

Bailey Indiana S. 6 and Hyundai i800 auto