Spectator Sport

MonkeyMark

You know how it is. As soon as you start to reverse onto your pitch, curtains twitch and people watch.

We all do it so it doesn't bother me. ... Usually.

This time it did. Pitches with hedges and as they are staggered the hedge for the pitch opposite was right where the car needed to be to straighten up the van and I was reversing onto blind side. So a little back and forth was required and a ramp but nothing major.

As soon as I started the people on the pitch opposite started to watch. I didn't notice at first as I was concentrating, but by the end they had shifted their table and chairs to get a better look :D

When leaving they had no need to tow off pitch of course.

Now this may be a little petty. When hitching up they neglected to lift the jockey wheel. It did occur to me to let them know. ...... Shame I didn't though. :D

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Shame on you!

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

Don't believe you! You'll be drummed out of CT! ;):D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I hope you shifted your table and chair to get a good look at the bent jockey !!

I reckon there will be someone posting on here when they get home

" I was leaving site today and this nosy git shifted his chair and watched me leave, didn't tell me I had left my jockey wheel down, what is it with some people? "

They definitely get a good show when we turn up!

My wife ALWAYS stands where I can't see her, and if everything is ok she shouts "right" and wonders why I turn the wheel right. .. then she waits until I'm all the way back before telling me that the van needs to be further along! No matter how many times I calmly explain what to do, she totally ignores it all.

Hitching up is no better as she waits until the car is millimeters from the hitch before telling me I need to go left or right, and, of course, if it's dead on but I just need to go straight back, she shouts "right"....

Don't even ask what is like getting onto the levelling ramp correcyly :P

If we ever divorce, the reason on the papers would be "reversing a caravan" :)

Now, I generally just get out and look for myself, manoeuvre a bit, then get out again.

My wife ALWAYS stands where I can't see her, and if everything is ok she shouts "right" and wonders why I turn the wheel right. .. then she waits until I'm all the way back before telling me that the van needs to be further along! No matter how many times I calmly explain what to do, she totally ignores it all.

Hitching up is no better as she waits until the car is millimeters from the hitch before telling me I need to go left or right, and, of course, if it's dead on but I just need to go straight back, she shouts "right"....

Now, I generally just get out and look for myself, manoeuvre a bit, then get out again.

I bought a mover and cancelled my appointments with the marriage guidance councillor :D

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Fatgit,

I think you're wife's leading a double life . .. 'cos I'm married to her as well !

John

We don't even have the discussion 'shall we use the mover ?" any more. It's park up level with the pitch, jockey wheel down, unhitch, wind on the mover, switch on, and . ... pitch ! No arguments any more. Same with hitching up. ....... :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Brilliant! I thought I was alone in my hitch and pitch misery. What I do now is stop and wait every time she disappears from sight. Give it 20 seconds or so then she re-appears asking me whats wrong? Tried the calm explaining thing but apparently I'm an idiot for not knowing what vague hand waving means, especially when done just out of my line of vision. Bought a mover this weekend so I'll get that fitted and it'll just be the awning then!

Excellent, started my day with a laugh.

Shug.

This is another reason i love our motorhome. Pull on to pitch, quick check as to whether we are level, if we are engine off job done, if not ramps out that are just by the locker door, drive on, engine off job done, kettle on.

have to say that when we did own our caravan, Mrs W was very good at giving directions, although we did have a mover.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

I bought a mover and cancelled my appointments with the marriage guidance councillor :D

We did the same when we ditched the awning! :lol:

Compass Shadow 1988

I had a audience last year on a site trying to get on a pitch as the pitch was a hard standing but the road in front of the pitch was about 10 ft wide then a verge of about 2 ft then a 6ft drop with no fence to the next level of caravans . On one side was a retaining brick wall of the pitch on the left . I first tried to reverse blind but had no chance with a 46ft long outfit and a 6 ft drop to watch for as well for the front and wall on the inside to swing round . I then thought i would follow the road and do a U turn and swing in from the drivers side and just make sure I missed the wall with the rear swinging only to find at the end of the road was a tight turn that a twin axle would never get round with bushes both sides. By now i was forced to reverse the whole length of the road and owners of neighbouring vans was lining the road watching how i was going to get in . I had to reverse to a T junction and do a 3 point turn in the junction then I had to reverse all the way back up the road with a line of more owners watching and some watched the back with the wall at the rear and some watched the front wheels did not go over the edge as I swung the front . Lucky it reversed perfectly into position with just a slight straightening with the mover .

The owners remarked the entertainment was over and went back to their teas . :)

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I had a audience last year on a site trying to get on a pitch as the pitch was a hard standing but the road in front of the pitch was about 10 ft wide then a verge of about 2 ft then a 6ft drop with no fence to the next level of caravans . On one side was a retaining brick wall of the pitch on the left . I first tried to reverse blind but had no chance with a 46ft long outfit and a 6 ft drop to watch for as well for the front and wall on the inside to swing round . I then thought i would follow the road and do a U turn and swing in from the drivers side and just make sure I missed the wall with the rear swinging only to find at the end of the road was a tight turn that a twin axle would never get round with bushes both sides. By now i was forced to reverse the whole length of the road and owners of neighbouring vans was lining the road watching how i was going to get in . I had to reverse to a T junction and do a 3 point turn in the junction then I had to reverse all the way back up the road with a line of more owners watching and some watched the back with the wall at the rear and some watched the front wheels did not go over the edge as I swung the front . Lucky it reversed perfectly into position with just a slight straightening with the mover .

The owners remarked the entertainment was over and went back to their teas . :)

Dave

Could you not have un-hitched & sited with the mover Dave?

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Alas, we can't afford a mover so shall continue to give everyone something to laugh at :P

Even more annoying is when people sit outside their caravan, all day relentlessly, quietly passing comment on every person passing by or coming and going.

All the little smirks, and little sniggers is so low level.

Must be status envy as they certainly have the smallest and skankiest caravan, nicotine stained cheapo awning and scabby appearance.

A quiet thought until now.

I have exactly the same problem when my husband gives me instructions on reversing onto the pitch. .......!

When I was on my own I reversed onto the pitch perfectly as I thought, only to be met by a helpful neighbour who told me I had the peg on the wrong side of the van and I would have to do it all again. Of course with him and his two sons standing next to me and his wife sitting watching from the awning, my reversing went completely to pieces. Instead of leaving me alone he actually unhitched my van and pushed it into place without even consulting me I was mortified. .....and I really didn't want to spend my holiday next to him and his family. He probably thought he was doing that poor lonely female and her dog a good turn, but he wasn't !!!

Am use too this now, has you can imagine with the daft bus and bungalow on wheels we have my partner slides down the seat out of sight when we pull up, i have got it of to a T and DONE AND DUSTED and a brew in 30mins .

Leaving is the same routine, soon has the bus cranks up the curtains move and the deck chairs turned round and heads pop up from wind breaks

Ste :)

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

my partner slides down the seat out of sight when we pull up,

soon has the bus cranks up the curtains move and the deck chairs turned round and heads pop up from wind breaks

Ste :)

They may just be curious if the circus has pulled up in town. If your wife slides down the seat, it may look like you have brought a van full of midgets to stay :D

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

Thank you Honk . .....................i know i can count on you for your Honest opinion :) i know exactly what folk think .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Even more annoying is when people sit outside their caravan, all day relentlessly, quietly passing comment on every person passing by or coming and going.

All the little smirks, and little sniggers is so low level.

Must be status envy as they certainly have the smallest and skankiest caravan, nicotine stained cheapo awning and scabby appearance.

A quiet thought until now.

Can't say I've noticed this, specially not the nicotine stained awnings! I do sometimes think the old timers (ahem mature caravanners) assume we don't know what we are doing. That may be my paranoia and they may be right. ..

I have exactly the same problem when my husband gives me instructions on reversing onto the pitch. .......!

When I was on my own I reversed onto the pitch perfectly as I thought, only to be met by a helpful neighbour who told me I had the peg on the wrong side of the van and I would have to do it all again. Of course with him and his two sons standing next to me and his wife sitting watching from the awning, my reversing went completely to pieces. Instead of leaving me alone he actually unhitched my van and pushed it into place without even consulting me I was mortified. .....and I really didn't want to spend my holiday next to him and his family. He probably thought he was doing that poor lonely female and her dog a good turn, but he wasn't !!!

Condescending or what! That would really annoy me, you did well not to start a scene.

Last of The Summer Wine, Jack Harry Teasdale and reversing the van into his drive, always think of that episode when reversing the van,

Rod.

Avondale Mayfly and Renault Scenic 1. 9tdi

In the last few weeks I've spent over £1000 between a new awning which I can put up myself and a mover.

Cheaper than a divorce though, so I don't complain.

Last of The Summer Wine, Jack Harry Teasdale and reversing the van into his drive, always think of that episode when reversing the van,

Rod.

I must have missed that episode, will it be on you tube?.........Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.