Out Goes The Fixed Bed

Hi

I have just had my fixed bed removed and replaced by a U shaped seating area with table in my Bucanneer Schooner as we were fed up with not having any real living space.

We now use the two front beds with Duvalay quilts which I must say are extremely comfortable

The conversion was carried out by Coachbuilt GB who did an excellent job with quality being as per the original spec

We now feel we are getting real value for money out the caravan with the additional living space.

Certainly recommended and cheaper than buying a new van

Regards JD

We have always felt that fixed beds were a waste of living space particularly as we have a large dog who takes up quite a bit of room. We also use the front seats with duvalays. Possibly a bit more work but worth it. Good luck with your conversion sounds great.

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

We have always felt that fixed beds were a waste of living space

particularly as we have a large dog who takes up quite a bit of room. We also use the front seats with duvalays. Possibly a bit more work but worth it. Good luck with your conversion sounds great.

:goodpost:

We have always felt that fixed beds were a waste of living space particularly as we have a large dog who takes up quite a bit of room. We also use the front seats with duvalays. Possibly a bit more work but worth it. Good luck with your conversion sounds great.

But ask yourself this. ....how much time do you spend in your caravan each day? And where do you spend most of that time? In the lounge? In the bathroom? In the kitchen? In the dining area? No! In your bed! That's why Fixed Beds are NOT a waste of space. ....but then again each to their own!

Hi

I have just had my fixed bed removed and replaced by a U shaped seating area with table in my Bucanneer Schooner as we were fed up with not having any real living space.

We now use the two front beds with Duvalay quilts which I must say are extremely comfortable

The conversion was carried out by Coachbuilt GB who did an excellent job with quality being as per the original spec

We now feel we are getting real value for money out the caravan with the additional living space.

Regards JD

I'm curious - why buy that layout in the first place?

2015 Ford Kuga CDTI Titanium X, towing an Elddis EX2000 Hurricane.

Hi

Regards JD

Have you got any pics so we can see what it looks like now? Just nosey!

But ask yourself this. ....how much time do you spend in your caravan each day? And where do you spend most of that time? In the lounge? In the bathroom? In the kitchen? In the dining area? No! In your bed! That's why Fixed Beds are NOT a waste of space. ....but then again each to their own!

Totally agree

Hi

Regards JD

Surely if you have changed the layout it is no longer a standard caravan and no longer has a NCC certificate of compliance? The other issue is of course insurance. We love our fixed bed which is an island bed in our caravan and would never even think of having a caravan without a fixed bed. Every one to their own choice.

When we ran Eriba Trolls we had two lounge benches that were 6ft 3ins/6ft 5ins long and effectively fixed single beds, though they could be made into an enormous double. There was also a single dinette across the nose which made up into a 6ft 6ins single.

We moved on to a van the same size but with just 5ft 6ins lounge benches. That means I can't use them as singles, but Mrs SDA, at 5ft 2ins can. So I make up the single dinette across the rear of this van, which at 6ft 8ins should be fine, but the cushions aren"t that comfortable, even with our Duvalays.

Added to that we now have a second dog and floorspace is getting tight. So we were out looking at fixed singles last week. But different car and awning make switching an expensive hobby.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Layouts is another one of those topics that will generate much debate. It is safe to say everyone has their own priorities and what is important to one, won't be to another. This reflects different people's attitudes as much as it does the way they use their caravan.

For a long time I thought when we bought our next caravan we absolutely had to have a fixed bed. Then when we came to buy it, we eventually came around to buying a large two berth, simply because of the compromises in lounge, kitchen and bathroom that a fixed bed imposes. We now use the two front benches as bunks most of the time and it works for us.

Re the OP though - I think it is a brave move to make such a significant change in layout. Well done you, I hope you now get lots of great trips away.

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

The other day we were at a dealership and they had a new Lunar Stellar in their showroom. Now I remember before we bought our first van Mrs SDA loved the look of the 'old' Stellar, with the L shaped kitchen on the offside, so we had a look inside. I knew they shifted the layout about a couple of years ago and I must say we were both impressed by the current van. There was a certain 'something' about it, a difference and 'feel' that was hard to define.

It's certainly made me wonder if we really do need a four berth van, given that in the year we've had there's only been the two of us in it for 80% of the time.

We changed from a large rear bathroom 2 berth to a side dinette 4 berth. There is only ever the 2 of us too. We wanted to leave our front benches made up as beds for both sleeping and lounging on and also have the side dinette for eating so that that we don't have to put the awning up all the time. Otherwise with a 2 berth it meant sitting on the beds to eat at the central chest. We have also taken out the bunk above the side dinette (only 4 screws ! ) so it really is just a fixed twin bed two berth now ! For us it does seem to be the perfect layout . ........... for now ! :)

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Hi I didnt realise this would generate so much interest.

Just a couple of updates, we didnt take this decision lightly, I researched and found a company which was an approved company and whos warrantities are backed by all the majors plus there are no external or structural member modifications.

We searched high and low for a new twin axle with this layout and none were available and in the end it was considerably cheaper to have the conversion done as the caravan is only 2 yrs old.

Everybody to their own and thanks for your comments and support.

JD

Surely if you have changed the layout it is no longer a standard caravan and no longer has a NCC certificate of compliance?

Roof mounted solar panel?

Roof mounted satellite dish?

Roof mounted aircon?

Motor movers ?

Gaslow tanks ?

Wouldn't these also qualify as modifications and therefore also affect the NCC certificate in the same way?

We love our fixed single beds . ...but we got rid of the dining /bed area at the other end and made a lounge using recling chairs with arms and pull out dining table

Magic

Edited by lute

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Roof mounted solar panel?

Roof mounted satellite dish?

Roof mounted aircon?

Motor movers ?

Gaslow tanks ?

Wouldn't these also qualify as modifications and therefore also affect the NCC certificate in the same way?

None of the above are structural changes!

I thought the main point of caravanning was not 'living' in the caravan but enjoying the outdoor life?

Why not take a leaf out of the German and Dutch books . ...sleep in the caravan . ..but do everything else outdoors or in the awning. :ph34r:

So adding a satellite dish and an aircon unit to the roof has no structural implications?

Why would it? It is the furniture inside that holds the caravan together and according to OP they had a professional in to do the modifications however I am fairly certain that the trailer would need a compliance certificate to be able to be towed on the road. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in this area can update us.

This article makes interesting reading as the caravan in question is not longer standard. I am aware that rules for trailers changed in Oct 2012, but not sure if that affects OP. I guess VOSA is the only one that can answer the question.

I'm fairly certain it was made clear on another recent thread that the furniture layout is not involved in type approval. It's the belt and braces chassis and running gear that is covered and the certifiable bits like gas equipment, electrics, stuff like that.

I thought the main point of caravanning was not 'living' in the caravan but enjoying the outdoor life?

Why not take a leaf out of the German and Dutch books . ...sleep in the caravan . ..but do everything else outdoors or in the awning. :ph34r:

Cold, mozzies, chairs aren't as comfy, no hot water, no shower, no oven, you have to put the awning up, you have to take the awning down, you have to dry the awning once you get home. ...

apart from that, it's a great idea! :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go again, why oh why does this keep happening on here, the OP have not done a makeshift job of this he has had it done by professionals which I am sure they have looked at all the legal lingo as there reputation is at stake here. The OP just wanted to tell everybody what they had done and by the sounds of it he is very happy with the result.

I say to him well done for thinking out of the box and making your pride and joy more enjoyable to use, I hope you get many years of pleasure out of it.

Maybe you could name the company that did the conversion for you as it seem your judgment is being called in to question here.

Though it is not something I would contemplate I take my hat off to the OP and sincerely hope they gets a great deal of enjoyment out of it.

Still, would love to see some pics.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Maybe you could name the company that did the conversion for you as it seem your judgment is being called in to question here.

He does - Coachbuilt UK.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion