Abergavenny

Going to Brecon next week and looking at Google maps Abergavenny looks like a town to avoid . ..am I correct? Has anyone done the around route on heads of the valleys road and then head towards Crickhowell & the A40 from there or stay on the B4458 all the way to Brecon.

We went through Abergavenny by mistake when we went to Brecon CC a few weeks ago. It wasn't too bad, but there is a very narrow junction in the town to negotiate. I would recommend finding a bypass if you can.

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

We live not too far away and you can avoid the main town by taking the A465 Heads of the Valley road, come off at the first junction, turn right under the A465, up to first roundabout, straight over, over the river bridge to next roundabout and bear left - you will come out on the A40 - just turn left and head out to Brecon. Don't try the Crickhowell route - not recommended.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Thanks very much for the info. ..nothing worse than finding yourself in a small town on market day with a van on the back

Glen and led. Having just had a look on Google the route is the A413?...looks good to me . Cheers

Yes - it's signposted Abergavenny A4143. There is a factory exit just before this - don't take that by mistake. Have a great time at Brecon.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Are you going to Brecon Caravan Club site? Jazz festival? Go the way Glen and Les say, it's quite straightforward and you'll have no problems.

After you have gone through Crickhowell, (about 2 miles) stay on the A40 as you pass the Nantyffin Cider Mill pub, don't turn right on the A479. A few more miles and you will approach Bwlch, sharpish bend and a quite steep hill through the village, the A40 is plenty wide enough, but take care through Bwlch village (after the hill), this is a favourite place for mobile speed cameras, obey the speed limit. After this it's all easy-peasy. I've towed 4 different caravans with 9 different cars along this route and never had a problem. If you're going to the Jazz Festival, I might see you there.

Regards, Mike

(PS. DON'T use the A4558. It's ok in a car, but NOT with a caravan on the back!!)

Edited by Townie

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).