Winter Measures?

scotsman25

I sterilise the aquaroll with Milton before using, and run the miltonfluid from the aquaroll through the plumbing system in the van, which also does the the waste pipes, and wastemaster. I just like to start the season with everything clean. Then flush with clean water.

Guest john1215

Another option for sterilisation is to use bi-carbonated soda in solution, I don't recall the quantities involved but I gather there is no nasty aftertaste like you sometimes get with milton if you don't rinse properly.

john1215

Hi All,

Anyone got good tips on any things to be doing to Van and accessories before hitting the road again.

I'm most worried about the Aquaroll hilling us through poisioning?

Newbie at work here! :blink:

5973[/snapback]

Hi scotsman25

We use puriclean, comes in a small tub cost just over £1

put in aqua roll leave overnight. . close off drain pipes ( wee flaps if you have them or bung them )put a teaspoonful down waste pipe in shower drain and sinks. . top up with warm water leave overnight plug in aquarol run through till empty rinse out aquarol and waste drains with fresh water. ...

Nice and clean ready for the new season

Happy Caravanning

Tommy G

Another option for sterilisation is to use bi-carbonated soda in solution, I don't recall the quantities involved but I gather there is no nasty aftertaste like you sometimes get with milton if you don't rinse properly.

john1215

6240[/snapback]

I mentioned this to my wife who is a health visitor and so knows about sterilsing things. .....she reckons that bicarbonate of soda does not sterilise. Its Ok to clean off stains etc and smells like in the fridge but it won't kill anything. Milton will sterilise though.

> Another option for sterilisation is to use bi-carbonated soda in solution, I don't recall the quantities involved but I gather there is no nasty aftertaste like you sometimes get with milton if you don't rinse properly.

I think you you may be confusing Bicarbonate of Soda with Sodium Metabisulphite (used in winemaking) which is a very effective, taint-free disinfectant.

That's what we use - never had any problems.

JAF

> Another option for sterilisation is to use bi-carbonated soda in solution, I don't recall the quantities involved but I gather there is no nasty aftertaste like you sometimes get with milton if you don't rinse properly.

I think you you may be confusing Bicarbonate of Soda with Sodium Metabisulphite (used in winemaking) which is a very effective, taint-free disinfectant.

That's what we use - never had any problems.

JAF

6727[/snapback]

I always flush the system with Milton Fluid - and have never had a problem with this

Margaret

Margaret

I don't do technical !!!

Just me and my showdogs!!

Guest john1215
I mentioned this to my wife who is a health visitor and so knows about sterilsing things. .....she reckons that bicarbonate of soda does not sterilise. Its Ok to clean off stains etc and smells like in the fridge but it won't kill anything. Milton will sterilise though.

6724[/snapback]

Geoff,

Your wife is probably right, I think it was the odours that Sodium Bi-carb gets rid of but I agree with eightofseven, Sodium Metabisulphide is really good. I've also used Puriclean which also doesn't leave any bad taste.

john1215

Guest john1215

To get back on post, spare a thought for the van whilst its laid up, put either a bowl of salt in the van or some other proprietry substance that will absorb moisture to keep the damp problem at bay.

john1215

To get back on post, spare a thought for the van whilst its laid up, put either a bowl of salt in the van or some other proprietry substance that will absorb moisture to keep the damp problem at bay.

john1215

6950[/snapback]

Use Dri-Bags to keep the damp at bay. Have used them for years,available at reasonable cost from Towsure. Best thing is they can be recharged when required. Also use Milton but everything does need a thorough flush before using the water system. Also be careful to strong a solution or neat can damage any metal. Cheers John :rolleyes: