Caravan Battery Charger - How To Test It's Working?

csputnik

Hi all

I've just been in the van to start seeing what I need for a trip to France in a couple of weeks, and noticed that the charging unit is cool to the touch. Normally when connected to the mains it is quite warm in operation. The 'van is a 2008 Lunar Quaser 525 and it has the oem charging unit. The voltmeter is reading just under 13 volts (I think I normally see 14 on ehu). Everything seems to working ok, I. e. Lights, pump, heater.

Is there an easy way to check it is still working and charging the battery?

Any help appreciated.

Carl

2010 Ford S-Max 2. 0Tdci (Manual) tugging 2016 Swift Ace Courier

If it is working it would normally read about 13. 7volts. Do you have any 12v appliances to hook up and see if it flattens the battery some. Switch off the charger and load up the battery for a while, unload battery and then switch on charger and you should see it upto 13. 7volts.

You could also diconnect the battery and using a mutimeter across the battery lead(cable) connectors measure the voltage with the charger on and off. Again looking for 13. 7volts +

You could also diconnect the battery and using a mutimeter across the battery lead(cable) connectors measure the voltage with the charger on and off. Again looking for 13. 7volts +

A lot of modern chargers won't output a voltage unless it s connected to a battery,they use the battery voltage to determne the rate of charge required.

knarf

A rudimentary but valuable and quick check; do the 12 volt halogen type lights get brighter when your wife plugs in a viable EHU?

First check the PSU has mains to it, then check the output, most will be around 13. 7 volts.

You could have a car like fuse blown further down the line, but I would be thinking along the lines of a failed PSU/charger.

Some of the PSUs used in caravans these days have a 'kettle plug' mains connection and they very easily work loose or fall out.

Of course one assumes the mains is on throughout? Plug something into a 13A socket and make sure it works.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will try these out tomorrow.

Carl

2010 Ford S-Max 2. 0Tdci (Manual) tugging 2016 Swift Ace Courier