Front Caravan Cover Or Not?

Have a front cover on our caravan for when we are towing to protect it, but have been wondering if it causes 'drag' when towing. What are you views please/

Not that I have noticed assuming its is "taut" when fitted i. e. make sure the straps are pulled tight. One of my best buys in that not only does it protect the front of the van when towing but if acts as a protective cover when is storage,

I'm sure there is an element of drag when towing with a front cover fitted, however taut it is fitted, but I think the effect on fuel consumption would be minimal. I use mine predomiately to eliminate the dirty black marks from a diesel exhaust and to save having to scrape offdead insects on arrival. There's also the added bonus of stone chip damage elimination. I'm happy paying a few extra pence in fuel consumption each trip for that!

You only need a front cover on early Bailey alu techs that suffered from stone chips on the front. If you don't have one of these you don't need a cover.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

We were observing vans with towing covers last month and 90% were Baileys. .strange?

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We have a front towing cover as the local council insists on covering the roads with loose stone chippings every year. Our previous caravan a Lunar had a number of stone chips in the front. Why do councils always look for the cheap way out instead of doing the job once properly every 5 years instead of a cheap job annually?

We were observing vans with towing covers last month and 90% were Baileys. .strange?

Geoff

Odd that Geoff because we did exactly the same thing whilst travelling from North East to Devon & back two weeks ago but saw a fairly even spread of makes using front covers during our journey.

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

. .. If you don't have one of these you don't need a cover.

That's a very sweeping statement, can you back it up with facts please as I'm worried I might be wasting my time fitting mine for each journey now?

There are no facts to back it up, a couple of years ago Some Bailey vans had poor lower front protection against stone chips so Bailey put extra protection on them in the form of a pvc section. Someone obviously has a chip about Baileys. I have noticed more vans of all sorts now use the towing cover and in fact mine is on order now.

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.