Straightliner Stabiliser - Shall I Buy One ?

Hi Folks I'm thinking of getting a Straightliner Stabiliser so I would appreciate any comments from people who use, or have used this device, also does it fit onto any car/caravan combination.

Many thanks

Terry

As we don't know what your car & caravan combination is, it's hard to comment

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Buy an Alko or similar hitch type stabiliser, much easier to use and fit, same price if not cheaper. I can recommend one if you tell us what caravan you have.

Sorry for not being more specific, my car is a Mazda 6 - 2litre diesel, and the van is an Ace Award Morningstar.

Cheers

Terry

PS my hitch is an Alko 3004 type 2

Edited by moorlandman

You probably should not use the Straight-liner with an Alko. .. It might be too stable :o:ph34r:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Alko AKS 3004 is the most suitable for you, can be bought second hand and new on e-bay, there is one at £56. 00 with an hour to go worth a look at?? £260-285 new on e-bay. Over 30 years I have had most types of stabilizers including trapezium designs. I have had both the 3004 and winterhoff (BPW). Both excellent.

that will teach me not to read the op again!!

Wonder what would happen if you used a hitch stabiliser and a blade type together? - Maybe would break the cars towbar?

Mahatma Gandhi

Simple answer, You don't need anything mate.

Your hitch that you have is a stabiliser, one of the best btw.

And there I thought it was just a posh hitch :blush:, thanks for saving me a few quid, I owe you a pint . By the way, is it worth fitting a pair of shockers.

Cheers

Terry

According to this thread shock absorbers are well worth fitting http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/96730-do-shock-absorbers-help-in-making-motorway-towing-less-stressful/?hl=%20shock%20%20absorbers

I've bought some just need to put them on now!

Hi Folks I'm thinking of getting a Straightliner Stabiliser so I would appreciate any comments from people who use, or have used this device, also does it fit onto any car/caravan combination.

Many thanks

Terry

It's not type approved so would be illegal.

sorry, I dont quite understand what you mean, can you explain please

sorry, I dont quite understand what you mean, can you explain please

The stabiliser system is not part of any type approval that I am aware of, however. .. The leafspring type stabilisers do require an additional fixing to be bolted behind the towball in some cases. This fitment would strictly speaking break the rules of type approval as it could be classed as an extension I think??? Not sure on this.

This would not be the case if you where using a swanneck type towbar with a 'clamp on' type stabiliser fixing.

Mahatma Gandhi

The stabiliser system is not part of any type approval that I am aware of, however. .. The leafspring type stabilisers do require an additional fixing to be bolted behind the towball in some cases. This fitment would strictly speaking break the rules of type approval as it could be classed as an extension I think??? Not sure on this.

This would not be the case if you where using a swanneck type towbar with a 'clamp on' type stabiliser fixing.

What a load of rubbish.

Please open a thread up on this on its own, would be interested to see where you get your info from. I have never as yet towed with anything other than leaf spring devices, have bolted on the bit you mention is an extension. What makes you think this is not approved?

btw if you had taken the time to read Moorlands 1st message, you would see the answer he needed was actually "He did not need anything"

Now you 2 with your multi thousand post count are ones worth watching and ignoring the advice of I reckon.

This is not a dress rehearsal.

What a load of rubbish.

Please open a thread up on this on its own, would be interested to see where you get your info from. I have never as yet towed with anything other than leaf spring devices, have bolted on the bit you mention is an extension. What makes you think this is not approved?

btw if you had taken the time to read Moorlands 1st message, you would see the answer he needed was actually "He did not need anything"

Now you 2 with your multi thousand post count are ones worth watching and ignoring the advice of I reckon.

Peter. .. Firstly, I have never insulted you Peter so wind it back please and re-read the thread properly.

I did state very clearly that 'I think' was the case, I even included some question marks to give you a clue I was asking a question, not stating any facts. ..

The actual answer that I now know IS fact is "Any extension to a towball is in breach of type approval if it is over 25mm, if it is under that, then fine."

I have fully understood the first message and if you read back you will also realise that, see post #5. I was simply asking out of curiosity if the two type of device can be used together. I think what you need to be weary of is not people with high post counts but not reading the posts and the thread in full.

Edited by dreadly

Mahatma Gandhi