Roquetas, Sierrecilla Or Finca De La Piedra

We are off to Spain again this winter, but this time setting off in December and spending Christmas away for the first time. We were looking at Los Madriles and Los Escullos, sites we have visited and enjoyed before, then thought we would look at somewhere different. We usually tour without booking.

Our research has come up with three possible sites. We will probably visit them all, but which one for the Christmas/new year/Tres Reys fortnight?

Camping Roquetas is the largest of the three, possibly a bit bigger than we are used to, but is on the coast so should be warmer.

Sierricilla at Humilladero (ACSI 2429) not so big, inland in a nice area, close to Antiquera.

Finca de la Piedra is an English owned CL type site and looks fantastic, but might be a bit quiet at Christmas.

Do any of you Spanish winter visitors have any knowledge of any of these sites?

As an aside I have always seen retired over-winterers referred to as 'snowbirds'. In one review though I found a Dutch person referring to them as 'the grey haired plague' which amused me!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I've been to Humilladero few times and as you said it's close to Antiquera, but also within striking distance of Malaga; Granada, Seville and Cadiz for a day out. The donkey sanctuary is just down the road, which is a part of the same one in the UK. The site is newish so the trees are still smallish but the washroom blocks are clean and heated in winter, the restuarant was being revamped the last time we where there so I can't give you any info on that. WiFi is free and if you get a pitch near the reception( first road on the left) you can pick it up with ease. I can't remenber if they have shop but there is a good bakers close to the site and the village has a good selection of food shops, the road past the site leading to the entrance can get busy at week ends as it also goes to a recreation/ picnic area in the forest up the hills behind the site . ..but its never been a problem the times I've been there. Can't think of any other info that might be useful but if you do . ...just ask.

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Sorry, should have said the pitches are hard standing open and some are generous size

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Agree with everything lute says, we have stayed there three times but only en route from Los Escullos to Portugal. The restaurant was quite good value,busy with Spanish when we were there on a Sunday. No idea what it will be like at Christmas though.

Sierricilla at Humilladero (ACSI 2429) not so big, inland in a nice area, close to Antiquera.

Hi NSBJ

We have visited only the one site on your list (Sierricilla at Humilladero (ACSI 2429)) late last December and had intended to stay there for Christmas. We would agree with previous posts on the availability of attractions and the wash rooms etc they are first class and although we didn't use it, the restaurant it looked good and reasonably priced, a little shop was attached to the restaurant. There was also a beautiful swimming pool. Unfortunately the site was, as luke said, new and looked very, very bleak particularly as the weather was freezing cold and there was just us and a large motor home on the entire site. It looked as if we would spend Christmas on our own if we stayed, so we buzzed off to Camping La Aldea at El Rocio, a favourite of ours (and I know of yours) where we bumped into some old friends and made some new ones over Christmas and New Year dinners in the restaurant.

You should go to Camping Sierricilla it is a good site but for the next few years, until well established, I would keep away at Christmas time.

Have a great trip

Steve

Have a great trip

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk

We stopped at Finca de la Piedra for two weeks a couple of winters ago, then, the access was not brilliant though the site was good and the owner Geoff was really helpful, connecting a tank up next to the caravan to drop the pump into and providing a satellite connection and free wifi. Locally there was not a lot to see but a short drive took us into some beautiful country.

2018 Hyundai Tucson Premium SE CRDi Auto 2L towing a 2011 Bailey Pegasus Genoa

Thanks for you help. From what I gather Sierracella and Finca are both worth a visit, so we will include one or both on our winter travels. For Christmas, Roquetas sounds ok, with the facilities for a celebration, but then again Steve has me wondering about El Rocio!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Hi NSBJ

La Aldea laid on special five course meals with wine or beer and Spanish Cava with the sweet all for less than 20 Euros per head which we thought was good value. Those that were still on site New Years day were presented with a bottle of Spanish Bubbly compliments of the management.

Most enjoyable.

Steve

Steve (BroGoat)

travel blog - www. adventure-before-dementia. co. uk