Should I Fit Solar Panel For Battery Top Up?

Landrovernut

Yes, all for just under £200, maybe less now.

Ebay is your friend, solar panel came from Belgium, brackets and cable entry from another ebay supplier, Soudal Fixall and cable from another one and the controller with remote display completed the shopping list.

Took about 2 hrs or so to plan the route for cables, clean that area of roof and drill the hole eeek! I couldn't believe how well fixall works it's absolutely solid. Dead easy to install, I did it myself, alone, easier with 2 people.

Fit the brackets to the panel first, lay the panel on the roof, put masking tape round the edges of the brackets on the roof. This allows you to mark the position and makes for an easy cleanup of excess fixall. Drill the hole, feed the cables through, plug into the panel, apply the fixall and lower the panel into position, I did my cable entry under the panel with the cables facing backwards, this is also fixed with fixall. Run the cables inside, mount the controller near the battery, connect the battery to the controller via a fused lead (inline is ok), connect the panel to the controller. Sit back and have a cuppa, works brilliantly.

Thanks for the very detailed instructions - will get going on this in next few weeks.

Thanks for that - makes the job look fairly easy.

I did mine in a couple of hours. . It was very easy. I used 'Soudal Fixall' also and it REALLY sticks :)

I did mine in a couple of hours. . It was very easy. I used 'Soudal Fixall' also and it REALLY sticks :)

Like something to a blanket!!?? ;) It needs to, to withstand the wind pressure whilst towing.

Thanks again.