Fridge On Gas

jo8all

Hi folks

presently at camping Maisonneuve, Dordogne. The fridge seems to have been struggling with the heat so I switched to gas. Can anbody give me an idea how long the gas will last keeping the fridge going and little cooking. I have the 6kg gas bottle and are here for another 3wks

regards

It would help if you supply the brand name and model of the fridge. Our double door 180L fridge will use up to 420gm in a 24 hour period so a 6kg bottle only used on the fridge will last about 12 - 14 days. However if you use the cooker, this period is shorten considerably. A smaller fridge will use less gas.

Have you tried taking the vent covers off on the outside wall of your van ? This worked for me 3 weeks ago in the Lot when the Temps were in the middle 30s. With the covers off it helps to remove the hot air out quicker. Also is your fridge facing the sun as the can have an adverse condition to the working of the fridge with sun making it to hot to work properly.

Hope you get sorted.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Our under the counter Dometic 8401 consumes 250 to 270 gm of gas per day, so 6kg of gas will last 22 to 24 days.

To conserve gas you might want to run it on electric at night when external temperature will be a bit lower - the door won't be opened allowing warm air to enter and you won't be replacing stuff to be chilled.

Land Rover is now back towing.

you could also grab a bag of ice cubes from supermarket and put them in there, this could help

phil

After a sweltering 10 days in Italy last year I investigated fitting PC fans.

All I can advise is - remove the fridge covers from the ouside of the van before ordering the bits. There was no space in mine for fans.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Hi everyone

We have just returned to touring after 20 years, we always had bad luck with fridges, poor hubby crouched on floor clicking and holding switch only to go out and losing patience. we have bought a second hand Elddis with a fixed bed. ....the bees knees we love it. came to light fridge from gas and guess what, won't light. ...... despite gas hob working perfectly so gass coming through. we decided to run off the electric off the hook-up and doesn't even get cool even after a full weekend so really fed up. any suggestions ?? Ta

Hi folks

presently at camping Maisonneuve, Dordogne. The fridge seems to have been struggling with the heat so I switched to gas. Can anbody give me an idea how long the gas will last keeping the fridge going and little cooking. I have the 6kg gas bottle and are here for another 3wks

regards

I hope jo8all is alright. I have checked his profile and it seems that he hasn't been back on here since posting this question. :(

Hi everyone

We have just returned to touring after 20 years, we always had bad luck with fridges, poor hubby crouched on floor clicking and holding switch only to go out and losing patience. we have bought a second hand Elddis with a fixed bed. ....the bees knees we love it. came to light fridge from gas and guess what, won't light. ...... despite gas hob working perfectly so gass coming through. we decided to run off the electric off the hook-up and doesn't even get cool even after a full weekend so really fed up. any suggestions ?? Ta

Sounds like it needs a good service, If the gas hasn't been used for sometime the burner can get clogged with dust and also spiders webs. So will need to be taken apart and cleaned out. Will also need checking for CO emissions.

Sounds like it needs a good service, If the gas hasn't been used for sometime the burner can get clogged with dust and also spiders webs. So will need to be taken apart and cleaned out. Will also need checking for CO emissions.

We've had ours serviced a couple of time and each time we had the burner replaced.

However to answer Kai my first thoughts are, is everything switched on, the gas at the tap and the electric at the plug and is the gas popping as it tries to ignite.

Also what make of fridge is it :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi folks

thank you all for your advice and dooosons concern we are fine and having a ball heading to ile d'Oleron sunday it was computer problems that stopped me responding earlier however we are all well the fridge seems to be holding up well on gas l will try the electric at night and removing the vents the weather has cooled today and plenty of rain so I may try electric for next couple of days before we leave once again thanks for advice and concern

regards

Hi folks

thank you all for your advice and dooosons concern we are fine and having a ball heading to ile d'Oleron sunday it was computer problems that stopped me responding earlier however we are all well the fridge seems to be holding up well on gas l will try the electric at night and removing the vents the weather has cooled today and plenty of rain so I may try electric for next couple of days before we leave once again thanks for advice and concern

regards

So glad you are all safe and well. Enjoy the rest of your trip. :D