Caravan Club Magazine Again!

ericfield

I suppose this would be better vented on the caravan clubs own forum but I doubt it would improve anything. ...and forgive me if I am a GOG (recovering from stomach bug)....

Having just read the 'Ask the Club' page where "The club's technical team answers your burning questions" I was astounded at the dedication for in depth reporting.

Three quarters of the page (half being a picture) is dedicated to the abolition of the Dartford tolls. Granted they have uncovered and reported the increase in tolls, classifications and given a nod to dart-tag, even how they might dismantle the booths. But how on earth can anyone 'answer burning questions' with. ..

"...there will be many places to pay in advance or uptil midnight on the day after crossing (IE. WITH A PREPAY CARD ACCOUNT, ONLINE, AT RETAIL OUTLETS, OVER THE PHONE OR BY POST)"

That's it!

Now call me picky, but such a burningly important exposé does seem a little thin . ..when nowhere in the article does it give further details (apart from go to the gov website), on exactly how to pay. ..especially for those who shun the Internet.

No mention of what retail outlets. ...is it Boots? Greggs?

No telephone number or address.

No where to apply for an account

I KNOW I can always log on and presumably discover the answers on the gov website . ...for myself. But not everyone is web interested or savvy.

It just infuriates me when journalists stop short in their work and give half complete reports.

It's perhaps ok as a general story buried in the middle of rags. But in a Caravan members magazine that 'answers burning questions'....I am left unquenched.

Still . ..at least the tummy bug feels better.

Edited by ericfield

looking at the gov. uk site now it doesnt look much differant the=an the lez payments, pay online, prepay, text,over the phone or prepay like the yellow boxes in local retailers

phil

They havent exactly uncovered the increase in toll charges, it's been common knowledge for about a year that they were going to implement an increase when the tolls booths were dismantled.

As for when & where to pay, well they have printed as much as anyone is aware right now. I use the crossing probably a couple of times a month on average as it's only 15 minutes from me & as yet I have no idea how I'm supposed to pay when the booths go. The . gov site says nothing more now than it did 6 months ago even though we are only a couple of months from going toll booth free

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

We were over in Ireland a couple of years back and they have a similar system on some of their motorways. You're given some time to call into designated places or even on-line to pay the toll.

A lot of these places were just newsagents and the likes.

I think that identifying those who write for the CC magazine as journalists is perhaps stretching the definition somewhat.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

They havent exactly uncovered the increase in toll charges, it's been common knowledge for about a year that they were going to implement an increase when the tolls booths were dismantled.

As for when & where to pay, well they have printed as much as anyone is aware right now. I use the crossing probably a couple of times a month on average as it's only 15 minutes from me & as yet I have no idea how I'm supposed to pay when the booths go. The . gov site says nothing more now than it did 6 months ago even though we are only a couple of months from going toll booth free

Ok, maybe I am being unduly harsh, if no one else knows yet.

But you would think that a simple line, something like. ..."full details yet to be published by the Gov"...after the ways to pays, would have made them look less like 'halfstory' tellers. Perhaps my expectations for journalist reporting are old fashioned? Lol

I think that identifying those who write for the CC magazine as journalists is perhaps stretching the definition somewhat.

Yes of course, silly me. Lol

As to the OP's first sentence, it's probably wise to refrain from any criticism of the Magazine on the CC forum. They seem to be just a tad touchy at the moment about any post which does not refer to the CC in glowing terms.

Edited by bessacarr425

I didn't get as far as that with my magazine. But I did notice the profound in depth advice to get a good night's sound sleep before setting off on a journey. At that point I heard the recycling man come up the lane and I rushed after him.

My copy of the CC magazine usually goes straight in the recycling bin - never read a decent article (written or substance) in there yet!

And another thing:

Great to see that Bristol is being promoted as a destination when the site there is earmarked for closure!

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

My copy of the CC magazine usually goes straight in the recycling bin - never read a decent article (written or substance) in there yet!

You are missing out. The letters page is usually hilarious.

We stopped both club magazines a year ago. We haven't missed them and don't have to cut our name and address off the plastic wrapper or put the magazines in the recycling bag any more. The magazines are just chocker with adverts for the club, and virtually no decent editorial content.

Ern

But in a Caravan members magazine that 'answers burning questions'....I am left unquenched.

Have you considered burning it!

By reading the Caravan Club magazine I noticed the article about recalls on some caravan cookers and by following the link found out mine was ok ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

One thing I do miss about the CC I used the mag for lighting the wood burner.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

"...there will be many places to pay in advance or uptil midnight on the day after crossing (IE. WITH A PREPAY CARD ACCOUNT, ONLINE, AT RETAIL OUTLETS, OVER THE PHONE OR BY POST)"

That's it!

e article does it give further details (apart from go to the gov website), on exactly how to pay. ..especially for those who shun the Internet.

No mention of what retail outlets. ...is it Boots? Greggs?

No telephone number or address.

No where to apply for an account

Retail outfits. ...any Paypoint which usually are newsagents and general stores.

Telephone number(s).....not yet published for obvious reasons but numbers will be available in good time.

Account. .......not yet set up? Existing Dart Tag holders are waiting to be advised

An accounts will require a vehicle registration number but more than one vehicle can be included in the same account.

Vehicles that are tax exempt (disabled drivers) do not have to pay, but do they still have to register?

I browsed the Honda Accord automatic review pondering on why they'd bothered to include a car with such a puny towing limit in a caravan magazine. The manual version I could understand.

I was staggered when the reviewer mentioned this lack of load pulling capability but seemed to shrug his shoulders and say that nobody knew why the limit was so low. Surely as a journalist it's his job to find out and tell readers.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Tut, tut all you knockers out there, I look forward to getting the CC magazine as I am reminded each month of how much money I saved by not insuring with them :D . Also have to agree with post #14 - the letters page can be a hoot. This months "star" letter for the umpteenth time reporting electric cables left attached by motorhomers & speeding drivers on club sites. Now there is no doubt that leaving live cables lying around should not be condoned but adding the " in a puddle " comment is surely added for dramatic impact ? As correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a live cable in a puddle simply trip the bollard electrics thereby rendering said cable harmless ?

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "