Oops And Other Things

dougie

Following on from the customer who blootered a 47kg gas bottle with the tail swing of an Orion.

Yours truly did the very same thing with the Barcelona except it was a full coal bunker on a forecourt.

Ripped the rear bumper clean away at N/S and bashed it all in at the bottom corner. Coal bunker shifted about three feet. Many bad words. Many Many. ..and more besides.

Was going to tape it up but the thought of the ribbing i would get spurred me to have a go at fixing it there and then. So removed rear light and lower moulding, got my hand in and pushed the bash out completely, i was surprised at how easy it reversed without even a tell-tale ripple. Repositioned the fixing holes to the rear panel and screwed the whole lot back together. Took no more than 1/2hr. Well pleased.

Another "DOH" moment came on site at St Cyr when the good lady came in and announced that there was water dripping from the front O/S corner. I had just replaced the water pump weeks before and thought that there must be a bad joint. So up with the bed. no leak. .all the bits out of from behind the sink . . no leak. On ma back on the grass to see where it was coming from. . no sign. stood up then eureka. It was condensate from the the air-con running down the front of the van. A bottle of wine was had to celebrate.

Finally. after 2 1/2 yrs and three Fife to France trips with visits to Italy,Switzerland,Wales and merry ol England, we have decided that the X-trail is going to be replaced with something newer,probably another as it is the most comfy and capable tow car we have had.

will be in the classifieds later.

Nissan X-Trail Artix 2. 0dci 173bhp just turned 70000 miles (08reg) Black

mot 03/15 tax 09/14

full history, last service 06/14 and new Dunlop tyres fitted and air-con recharged

tow bar 13pin socket

Loads of kit inc reverse camera and roof bars with lights.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

How much are you looking for and where are you?

2012 Lunar Quasar 546 towed by a 2008 Volvo XC90 D5.

I have considered getting a Barcelona to pull with my Pug but thought it might not be man enough. Mine is a heavier car with a bigger engine. Therefore I wonder how you have found the Xtrail at 98%?

I used to have a 2005 Xtrail which I loved but only towed a single axle at 1420kg.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Aiming to as close to 10k as poss. seems in line with similar private asking prices.

I have considered getting a Barcelona to pull with my Pug but thought it might not be man enough. Mine is a heavier car with a bigger engine. Therefore I wonder how you have found the Xtrail at 98%?

I used to have a 2005 Xtrail which I loved but only towed a single axle at 1420kg.

John

most heavier stuff in boot, but 3 bikes, air-con and 4m Fiamma f45 awning push up caravan weight. It scoots along fine at 65mph doing 24mpg (around 40mpg day-to-day)and has plenty of power to deal with inclines. I had to do a sudden brake and lane change due to debris on the road and it was fine.

It does better at 65 than 55/60 in 6th as is it is doing 1950 rpm which ties in nicely with the torque curve and makes an easier drive. After 3 trips deep into France i have experimented with keeping it in 5th at 50/55/60 = 22mpg and unable to use 6th for long as it fell off the torque curve too easily needing down changes.

The only towing complaint is the yaw sensor is a bit sensitive and in a crosswind if the caravan gets a buffet then ESP knocks off the Cruise Control< bit of pain but if can be fixed by switch ESP off.

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

It scoots along fine at 65mph doing 24mpg. ........It does better at 65 than 55/60 in 6th. ..........

So you ignore the speed limit of 60?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

So you ignore the speed limit of 60

After 3 trips deep into France i have experimented with keeping it in 5th at 50/55/60 = 22mpg and unable to use 6th for long as it fell off the torque curve too easily needing down changes.

No. 65 is fine in France

Edited by dougie

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Yours truly did the very same thing with the Barcelona except it was a full coal bunker on a forecourt.

Ripped the rear bumper clean away at N/S and bashed it all in at the bottom corner. Coal bunker shifted about three feet. Many bad words. Many Many. ..and more besides.

And you wonder why I cancelled the caravan service booking! Only joking, of course, :) Get the MH tomorrow and will be in contact when habitation service due.

Another "DOH" moment came on site at St Cyr when the good lady came in and announced that there was water dripping from the front O/S corner. I had just replaced the water pump weeks before and thought that there must be a bad joint. So up with the bed. no leak. .all the bits out of from behind the sink . . no leak. On ma back on the grass to see where it was coming from. . no sign. stood up then eureka. It was condensate from the the air-con running down the front of the van. A bottle of wine was had to celebrate.

Damn! Thought you were gonna say it was the beagle dug's fault! :o

And you wonder why I cancelled the caravan service booking! Only joking, of course, :) Get the MH tomorrow and will be in contact when habitation service due.

Damn! Thought you were gonna say it was the beagle dug's fault! :o

The Beagley thing gets left at home. She is a nightmare in a caravan as she leaps about at the sight of another dug and doesnt care who or what she steps on. And at night any noise has the vocal chords activated.

Hope you enjoy your motorhome. see ya in due course

It's a common trait by people from that ilk!!!!

dont get that one!!!

Edited by dougie

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN

Following on from the customer who blootered a 47kg gas bottle with the tail swing of an Orion.

Was going to tape it up but the thought of the ribbing i would get spurred me to have a go at fixing it there and then. So removed rear light and lower moulding, got my hand in and pushed the bash out completely, i was surprised at how easy it reversed without even a tell-tale ripple. Repositioned the fixing holes to the rear panel and screwed the whole lot back together. Took no more than 1/2hr. Well pleased.

Finally. after 2 1/2 yrs and three Fife to France trips with visits to Italy,Switzerland,Wales and merry ol England, we have decided that the X-trail is going to be replaced with something newer,probably another as it is the most comfy and capable tow car we have had.

will be in the classifieds later.

Nissan X-Trail Artix 2. 0dci 173bhp just turned 70000 miles (08reg) Black

mot 03/15 tax 09/14

full history, last service 06/14 and new Dunlop tyres fitted and air-con recharged

tow bar 13pin socket

Loads of kit inc reverse camera and roof bars with lights.

Have you looked at the new model X-Trail they've just launched. .... It's got the Qashqai front and the Honda CVR rear. ...Not very pretty. .... I'm looking to change my 03 X-Trail as I find it gutless at times, but then it's only around 112bhp and the newer one's are 174bhp.

The Beagley thing gets left at home. She is a nightmare in a caravan as she leaps about at the sight of another dug and doesnt care who or what she steps on. And at night any noise has the vocal chords activated.

Hope you enjoy your motorhome. see ya in due course

dont get that one!!!

Comment refered to Wispmans "So you ignore the speed limit of 60"---Trait of some other Fifers!!!!!!!