Twin Axles. Welcome Or Not?

SeanLonsdale

Just been chatting to my neighbour, a 'vanner of 35 years

I said I was considering a TA but he said most UK sites do not accept them as they chew up the sites grass.

He also claims that in France, the sites have signs forbidding TA's.

What are your opinions and experiences?

Some People have the best of everything, others make the best of everything they have

Most sites in France accept Twin axles and if in doubt you can pre-book and let them know, as for the UK I doubt if any caravan site would refuse you entry with a twin .

p. s just looking at your towcar If your considering a twin axle and will be towing with the Passat it would need to be fairly light van as the Passat's kerbweight is not that high

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

I owned a twin axle bailey senator for five years & I was never refused entry to any camp site.

Didn't take it to France so can't comment on that, but I'd be surprised if that is the case with the amount of twin as vans I see on the

M2 & M20 heading over there.

My rig was on my membership profile for both clubs while I had it so they would have been well aware of what van I was turning up with.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Never been to France with our TA van but never been refused anywhere in the UK.

Thanks. So its a bit of an urban myth then.

You are right about the Passat but with careful selection I am sure it is possible.

Edited by SeanLonsdale

Some People have the best of everything, others make the best of everything they have

I am sitting in France, a British party has just arrived with a very nice twin axle, no problem at all.

Never been refused on site in the Uk with aT/A

Mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

Thanks. So its a bit of an urban myth then.

You are right about the Passat but with careful selection I am sure it is possible.

Be careful where you get the passats kerbweight info from. ... weighbridge is the only sure way

paul

Vw Passat V6 4 Motion
2009 Compass Corona Club 544

If you're allowed a converted horse truck on site I don't see why a twin axle should be refused!

Be careful where you get the passats kerbweight info from. ... weighbridge is the only sure way

paul

Its not just your kerb weight you need to consider the allowed towable mass aswell which will be on your VIN plate and V5C

Never refused because of being a TA but refused for being a Hobby .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

A visit to my local dealership (Brayford Leisure) gave me this info which they gleaned from their Towsafe database:
Kerb: 1418
May Tow: 1600
Train:3630
My cars weight plate says this:
3630 - train
1050 - front axle
1040 - rear axle

The log book says. ...

The Gross Mass in service is 1569kg
This gives an 85% of 1333kg

With those weights I would say their are a few TA's I can use BUT there is a much greater choice of SA's in make model size

and spec level

A visit to my local dealership (Brayford Leisure) gave me this info which they gleaned from their Towsafe database:

Kerb: 1418

May Tow: 1600

Train:3630

My cars weight plate says this:

3630 - train

1050 - front axle

1040 - rear axle

The log book says. ...

The Gross Mass in service is 1569kg

This gives an 85% of 1333kg

With those weights I would say their are a few TA's I can use BUT there is a much greater choice of SA's in make model size

and spec level

Personally I think modern SA's are fine. I don't think you get as much benefit from a TA as you might think. But that's just my humble opinion. ^_^

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Personally I think modern SA's are fine. I don't think you get as much benefit from a TA as you might think. But that's just my humble opinion. ^_^

Modern SA's are great but anything modern is way out of our budget. So an old one it will be. Unfortunately.

A lot of the smaller municipal sites in France do have restrictions on twin axles to dissuade the travelling fraternity.

knarf

Modern SA's are great but anything modern is way out of our budget. So an old one it will be. Unfortunately.

Ok. .. I will add that modern tyres make SA's a little better than I think they used to be ;)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

We are hopefully changing at the end of this season. The thing we are really looking forward to is hot running water after seven years of boiling the kettle. The number of wheels the 'van has is really of no consequence in the grand scheme of things.

My greatest concern is buying the correct van at the right price because we cant afford to keep changing.

A TA would be nice but an SA would do the trick and we would be so proud.

Unless you want a really long van like mine then SA is great. This is our first TA and we love it. We bought this van because the layout is what we wanted and it is really roomy inside as well. It tows really well and in fact is easier to reverse onto my driveway where we keep it.

Never been refused access to any sites with my twin axle.

Twin axles in my humble opinion, look much better, nicer proportions instead of looking like a see saw. There are significant advantages, you can walk to the Back without corner steadies down, a puncture is a complete non event, no need for a jack, very very stable on tow, etc etc.

Edited by nme2no1

. ......., a puncture is a complete non event, no need for a jack, . ...........

?

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

?

A puncture is hardly noticeable, happened twice to me with my previous caravan, passing motorist waived me down. No need for a jack, drive the good wheel up a levelling ramp, change the wheel, drive down off the ramp, job done.

A puncture is hardly noticeable, happened twice to me with my previous caravan, passing motorist waived me down. No need for a jack, drive the good wheel up a levelling ramp, change the wheel, drive down off the ramp, job done

That's not a bad idea, unless, whatever you have driven over has punctured both wheels. I suppose the chances of that happening though are quite slim.

A puncture is hardly noticeable, happened twice to me with my previous caravan, passing motorist waived me down. No need for a jack, drive the good wheel up a levelling ramp, change the wheel, drive down off the ramp, job done.

A lot depends on how long the caravan has been running on the good tyre on that side as the tyre sidewalls would have been subjected to a lot of flexing and the stress of additional weight. At that point it may be worth considering changing the other tyre also as most caravans have budget tyres which cannot take a lot of stress.

PS I am not saying this is fact, but just an observation.

A lot of the smaller municipal sites in France do have restrictions on twin axles to dissuade the travelling fraternity.

knarf

My son phoned yesterday from France. He had just been refused entry with his t/a to the municipal at La Flèche.

I phoned sites at Loches and Montreuil Bellay and both accept t/a's.

The t/a restriction is not necessarily related to' travellers' as site conditions such as pitch size, accessibilty and ground conditions may be reasons. Some sites have permanent signs indicating 'no t/a' but do admit them when conditions are suitable.