Cracking Noise In Roof

signum

my caravan is making a cracking sound from the roof it sounds like a small stone hitting the roof. this happens many times through out the day and night. can i ask if any other member suffers the same noise. and if so would they mind stating which make of caravan they have that's, its happening to.

what i,m trying to do is some fact finding because my caravan manufacturer tells me this is normal thanks

signum

my caravan is making a cracking sound from the roof it sounds like a small stone hitting the roof. this happens many times through out the day and night. can i ask if any other member suffers the same noise. and if so would they mind stating which make of caravan they have that's, its happening to.

what i,m trying to do is some fact finding because my caravan manufacturer tells me this is normal thanks

signum

2012 Swift Challenger SE565. ...occasional cracks not necessarily from same area of caravan roof. Generally can be rationalised as changes in temperature, either inside or outside, or windy days/evenings. I sleep soundly so don't hear nighttime noises but the wife has heard the odd crack at night. I give her more gin next evening.

:welcome: and my first thought is the heat and thermal expansion - ruled out by it happening at night. Not being cynical, early this morning we had a magpie deciding to wake us up but have no experience of your noise.

Sorry

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

:welcome: and my first thought is the heat and thermal expansion - ruled out by it happening at night. Not being cynical, early this morning we had a magpie deciding to wake us up but have no experience of your noise.

Sorry

Thermal expansion may be less likely to occur at night (unless the wife seruptiously whips the heating on!) but thermal contraction can. ..and ANY differential movement may equally cause noise.

When we put out the lights at night we get a series of noises as the light fittings cool down, and first thing in the morning as the sun starts to warm everythimg up I can hear expansion noises, its just like pastic gutters and soffits at home.

Your caravan manufacturer is telling you the truth.

Everything expands as it gets hot and contracts as it gets cooler, it normal.

These cracking noises have been well discussed on the Swifttalk forum. They effect the sunroof models, but only so many of them so you can consider yourself unlucky if your caravan is a bad one.

Typically the loud cracks are around the front, near to the sunroof - so I assume your caravan has a sunroof. The noise is much louder than the usual creaking noises as panels expand and contract, and the loud cracks are enough to wake you or even startle you when they happen. It might be something to do with the different materials (tinted plastic sunroof, alloy panels & large dark roof decals) moving more than usual.

I seem to remember that some have found solutions by adjusting roof lockers & interior panels, & hopefully that will find the surface/ join that is causing the problem.

I know how bad it can be as my 2011 Sterling produced the same noise you describe, but thankfully it was only once or twice a day so we could manage with it. Some owners have reported these noises more often, and if they are too frequent they must drive owners mad!

Good luck

Had it on both my 2012 Eccles Sport dealer special and my current 2014 Swift Challenger SE.

Not intrusive and only happens sometimes, not too bothered about it personally.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

It's been happening over the last week on our Coachman - probably due to the high temperatures and yes it is a sunroof model.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I sat in our Summer House at the top of the garden and it creaked a lot when the sun went down. Natural contraction of the roof after a hot day. The caravan does the same but it is more metallic I suppose.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

thank you all for your replies very useful information keep it coming

signum

signum

On the Swift forum many state that on the newer Swift / Sterling caravans this is due to the large front top sun window expanding during the day and then contracting during the night. Surely this will eventually lead to leaks and damp issues?

• 6 years later...

My coachman VIP 2008 caravan makes the same noise like pine needles falling onto the roof but only in the wind. I think the wind gets into the body of the caravan through the fridge vents and gets up into the roof space. Annoying!!!