Water Pipes Blowing Apart

cstanger

Hi, we have just purchased a sterling 2013 eccles sport 554 sr and just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if so is there an easy fix? Whilst sat in the caravan we heard the water pump come on by itself and the next thing we had water leaking from the cupboard under the sink. After quickly turning it off ( lucky it didn't happen while we were out) we discovered the braided flexible tap connector pipe from the kitchen tap which connects to the water pipe had come apart. This push together fitting will not stop coming apart now. I am worried about all the other pipe connectors as they seem very poorly made, I hope someone can help us?

That is unusual and is probably due to someone not fitting it properly as you probably know you push it on tightly and then slightly pull back to tension. If you then pull the pipe it should be tight. Otherwise its new fittings I am afraid not expensive. The pump comes on as its pressure operated.

Thanks brilock1, do you know if you can get replacement flexible pipes for the taps? Mine are about 3 foot long as they connect in the bottom of the unit. It's the connection on the end of the flexible pipe that's the problem, there's no grip. Didn't know if it could be done on warrany.

Back to the Dealer for a Warranty claim. If near enough they may come out to fix on site?

Depending on pipe type it may have a rigid insert that may have dropped out? or never been fitted?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Unfortunately we didn't buy from a dealer we bought second hand but didn't know if would be covered under swift warranty as it has just gone past the 1 year old

I don't know if it helps but that type of fitting can be had from ScrewFix,

Wickes, Tool Station and many others.

Unfortunately we didn't buy from a dealer we bought second hand but didn't know if would be covered under swift warranty as it has just gone past the 1 year old

If your van is just by the annual service date I would contact your Local Swift dealer and get it serviced as you may still be able to maintain the warranty

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

If the caravan has had its first service on time, I am fairly certain that the warranty can be transferred by applying and paying a small fee. Maybe this is why the previous owner got rid of it?

I think you need to go onto the Swift Talk web site, where you can search for water pipes leaks. You will find this issue has been discussed. I have had 2 failures. You may not be in a position to claim warranty, but it will help you sort it out properly.

Ern

The flexible pipes come complete with mixer tap. The lower end of the pipe is metal which pushes into a John Guest fitting. I would get another fitting if it is not sealing on pipe . You need to ask for John Guest 12mm straight connector.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/John-Guest-Metric-Straight-Connector-/131245494498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1e8ed750e2

Click on size 12mm

Edited by birdman101

Swift Archway Ruby.   Santa Fe Auto

We had the same problem in our 2013 Conqueror, we were 10 days into our first holiday when a hot pipe came off in the wash room and would not hold when refitted. I did notice when checking the other 5 pipes that the faulty one had black plastic collars and the others had white. The dealer posted a replacement to the site so we could continue our holiday, he later said that they had had a number of failures. What I do not understand is why it waited 10 days to blow off, it was March and the Alde heating had been running non-stop so there would have been quite a pressure in the hot pipes

We had the same problem in our 2013 Conqueror, we were 10 days into our first holiday when a hot pipe came off in the wash room and would not hold when refitted. I did notice when checking the other 5 pipes that the faulty one had black plastic collars and the others had white. The dealer posted a replacement to the site so we could continue our holiday, he later said that they had had a number of failures. What I do not understand is why it waited 10 days to blow off, it was March and the Alde heating had been running non-stop so there would have been quite a pressure in the hot pipes

Why would running the alde increase the pressure in the hot pipe?

When the heating is on the domestic hot water temperature goes from about 60*c to 80*c so the water expands a little more increasing the pressure in the system, you can see the difference when you first open the hot tap

When the heating is on the domestic hot water temperature goes from about 60*c to 80*c so the water expands a little more increasing the pressure in the system, you can see the difference when you first open the hot tap

Hmmmm, liquids cant be compressed so where does the additional expansion go? assuming of course there are check valves to stop it going back to the cold water system. Seems odd but I take your word for it, another Alde oddity.

I am not sure but water has a small amount of oxygen in it, just ask any fish. It may be this that compresses or maybe I am talking rubbish but my hot tap does give a bit of a gush when opened if not used for a while when the heating is on.

Sounds like you are on site, so you could ask wardens/owners for recommendation of local mobile caravan mechanic - this happened to us last year following warranty 'repairs' by the supplying dealer.

Local mobile mechanic was efficient and saved our holiday.

We (nearly) always turn the pump off when leaving the caravan - I assumed that is why switch is by the door.

Good luck.

I am not sure but water has a small amount of oxygen in it, just ask any fish. It may be this that compresses or maybe I am talking rubbish but my hot tap does give a bit of a gush when opened if not used for a while when the heating is on.

For the purposes of this situation, water cannot be compressed i. e. a gallon of water is still a gallon of water when pressure is increased, the expansion is also minimal which makes the pressure rise seem rather strange.

I have just done a Google search and water expands when heated, I assume the plastic pipes take up the expansion

This is why your combi boiler has an expansion tank at the back. On mine the cold pressure is set at 0. 5bar, but when the heating is on can go up to 1 bar.

Water also expands when cold, hence frozzen pipes