Is The C C Actually Starting To Listen?

Llew

After feedback from members, the CC is going to start offering members the option to choose grass or hardstanding pitches when booking for 2015 season.

It's only a trial though at a small number of sites, that have yet to be named.

As far as I'm concerned though, this is a step in the right direction. However I'm sure that loads of people will disagree.

Where does the info come from VC??

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Where does the info come from VC??

Caravan Club magazine received this morning.

A number of CC members have bemoaned the lottery of trying to get a hardstanding and so I suppose that it will be welcomed. I usually opt for hard standing and as I holiday outside of main school holidays I am able to choose that option on site. I must look and read the article. Thanks.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

They may listen but only hear what they want to hear :rolleyes:

Our last CC outing all the hardstandings were taken mainly

3. 5 ton MH which cannot use the grass and huge caravans

including one with extending sides, only grass pitches left.

My wife made a complaint (strangely I rarely do :D ) and we

still have had no reply.

Edited by gumdrop

That's a big bugbear of mine, to turn up onsite to find nearly all of the hardstanding pitches taken up by motorhomes. Especially with the weather we have recently been having.

The ground is rock hard so motorhomes can use grass the same as the rest of us.

They may listen but only hear what they want to hear :rolleyes:

Our last CC outing all the hardstandings were taken mainly

3. 5 ton MH which cannot use the grass and huge caravans

including one with extending sides, only grass pitches left.

My wife made a complaint (strangely I rarely do :D ) and we

still have had no reply.

That's a big bugbear of mine, to turn up onsite to find nearly all of the hardstanding pitches taken up by motorhomes. Especially with the weather we have recently been having.

The ground is rock hard so motorhomes can use grass the same as the rest of us.

Is it not first come first served?

Understandably a heavy outfit such as the large motorhomes should have hard standings, folk will complain if the grass pitches (which some desire) are left with deep ruts which will no doubt be taken out of use whilst repairs are undertaken by site staff.

In this country we all know that heavy rain overnight can turn solid earth to mud. I can't see your problem sorry.

Once again the CC are recommending as a towcar in their car survey in the new magazine, a Honda car which does not even have a spare wheel - It is supplied with an inflation kit only. IMO this is unsatisfactory in a towcar. The other interesting point about this car is although the kerb weight is 1700 KG ( 85% of which is 1445 KG ) Strangely the maximum towing limit set by the manufacturer is 1100KG.

There seems to be a huge divergence between what a caravanner needs and what the CC is recommending as a towcar. .

I wonder if anybody at their head office actually knows anything about the hobby of caravanning.

So in answer to the thread heading, I don't think they are listening.

Edited by bessacarr425

Is it not first come first served?

Understandably a heavy outfit such as the large motorhomes should have hard standings, folk will complain if the grass pitches (which some desire) are left with deep ruts which will no doubt be taken out of use whilst repairs are undertaken by site staff.

In this country we all know that heavy rain overnight can turn solid earth to mud. I can't see your problem sorry.

Yes it is first come first served, that is not going to change. If you book hardstanding or grass pitch you turn up and pick what's available.

Heavy rain overnight can turn a pitch into mud, so why not have hardstanding pitches all round then?

Here we go, get ready for the campsite looking like a car park brigade.

Once again the CC are recommending as a towcar in their car survey in the new magazine, a Honda car which does not even have a spare wheel - It is supplied with an inflation kit only. IMO this is unsatisfactory in a towcar. The other interesting point about this car is although the kerb weight is 1700 KG ( 85% of which is 1445 KG ) Strangely the maximum towing limit set by the manufacturer is 1100KG.

There seems to be a huge divergence between what a caravanner needs and what the CC is recommending as a towcar. .

I wonder if anybody at their head office actually knows anything about the hobby of caravanning.

Unfortunately, more and more manufacturers are going this way by not fitting spare wheels.

Personally I don't even look at a towcar if it hasn't got a spare wheel

Quote: Here we go, get ready for the campsite looking like a car park brigade.

They already do, with caravans in all little neat rows, with wonderful views. .. Of yes more caravans. . Give me a grass CL anytime

Edited by SP1

I wonder how many people who complain about the CC actually go to the AGMs and make their voice heard?

And the Honda wasn't being "recommended" - it was merely a review and the reviewer did point out the low tow weight for some variants.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Ref Post 11

On your first point

Those points were raised at the CC meetings held all over the country by representatives from the CC head office and hundreds of ordinary members. ( Meet the Club )

Those were good meetings,

Head office have already been told what the membership think. .

No need to dublicate the effort by going to yet more meetings.

On your second point,

If the car is unsuitable as a tow car, why review it in a caravan magazine. There are many more cars which are suitable, which never get a mention.

Edited by bessacarr425

I am led to believe that the CC is mainly controlled by the rally stalwarts. Personally we prefer grass standings as find the hard standing to hard (excuse the pun) to knock in rock pegs and we welcome the option. No chance of erecting a windbreak if on hard standing.

One thing i wish that the CC would do is to offer more winter seasonal pitches and allow you to leave your awning up when away the caravan is not occupied. The C & CC alow this.

I did a quick assessment after that test & out of 50 plus cars tested 40 plus had either repair kits or skinny spares. Maybe the club should deduct 10 per cent from the test marks for any car that has no full size spare.

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Of most of the well known makes of cars these days a n inflation kit or skinny spare is all that is offered. If they start only testing vehicle's with full size spare they are going to be short of test cars . mine has a skinny spare but it will do me to get me to the garage. In fact the breakdown companies will come out and assist if any problems so I don't worry.

Of most of the well known makes of cars these days a n inflation kit or skinny spare is all that is offered. If they start only testing vehicle's with full size spare they are going to be short of test cars . mine has a skinny spare but it will do me to get me to the garage. In fact the breakdown companies will come out and assist if any problems so I don't worry.

Most skinny spares can't be used whilst towing and in reality, just how much is saved by using them 'v' the convenience of having a full sized spare?

The one and only car I had with this situation, I had a puncture at 22:30, the inflator kit and fluids would not seal it. Called out the AA, they tried to fix it and failed, it took while 04:00 to be recovered. Lesson learned no spare / skinny spare = not a vehicle for me.

So, you are all loaded up, on holiday and have to use your spacesaver. Where do you stick the mucky, full-sized, punctured tyre??

Alan

Having had a blow out on the M4, we would not consider a car with a puncture repair kit or even a skinny wheel.

So, you are all loaded up, on holiday and have to use your spacesaver. Where do you stick the mucky, full-sized, punctured tyre??

In the boot, in the caravan, wherever really. Given that you have had to empty the boot in most cases to get the spare out this is hardly a big problem.

Our last two cars have had spacesavers. I'd prefer if they were full size, but I am not going to chose an inferior car just to get a full size spare. If we get a puncture while towing, the space saver will go on the front and we will drive very carefully to the nearest site or tyre shop. It's one of life's compromises.

I cycle 30km to work. I don't carry a spare tube or repair kit most days and accept that if (when) I get a puncture, I will need to either run the rest of the way or get to the nearest train station. Another compromise.

[/quote

In the caravan in a big plastic bag I carry. As I said before I want a certain make of car I have to put up with what is available. If I had a full size spare I would stil have to empty the back to get at it. In fact in my car there is a well but it would make the floor uneven if I put a full size in it.

Most skinny spares can't be used whilst towing and in reality, just how much is saved by using them 'v' the convenience of having a full sized spare?

The one and only car I had with this situation, I had a puncture at 22:30, the inflator kit and fluids would not seal it. Called out the AA, they tried to fix it and failed, it took while 04:00 to be recovered. Lesson learned no spare / skinny spare = not a vehicle for me.

Where does it say you can't use a skinny to tow with. Iwonder how often you get a puncture ? I think I have had 2 punctures in the last 20 years. I would rather have a car I like than keep worrying about a puncture that may never happen. Good luck in a few years time finding a car without a skinny as it seems they are all changing.

If you don't want a skinny spare or gunge kit, then ask for a full sized spare and pay a bit more :unsure: . I can't think of any manufacturer that won't supply one if you ask.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I was told that most new cars on the continent had full size spare and it is mainly British cars that have the skinny in order to keep emissions low for lower tax band? Not sure how true this is though.

Much prefer grass but can understand the logic of hard standings. However, why are so few sites using reinforced grass. Best of both worlds.

http://www. terram. com/market-sector/grass-and-ground/

http://www. groundtrax. com/grassprotecta-ground-reinforcement-mesh/?gclid=CjwKEAjwxtKeBRDMzoeQmYn5uHcSJACGCF3DRskNahOYtaT3_ZYS3eH68yu2xPMnPHH6MFDXdJuM6BoC6XLw_wcB

And many more.

Got to look better than hardcore.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.