Motor Homes

blondchaser

Posting here because I can't get on to Motorhomes section?????

Just returned from holiday "Up Norf" and had not realised how many of these confounded things were on the roads (so much for bankrupt Britain).

However, what really struck me about the newer ones was the huge amount of overhang they had.

How on earth did they conform to the Construction and Use regulations???

Surely they must be dangerous especially on wet roads.

You need to go to our sister site. .. Motorhome Talk. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

blondchaser, on 26 Jul 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

Posting here because I can't get on to Motorhomes section?????

Follow this link for Motorhome Talk.

You can register with the same ID and password as Caravan Talk if you wish.

blondchaser, on 26 Jul 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

what really struck me about the newer ones was the huge amount of overhang they had.

How on earth did they conform to the Construction and Use regulations???

Surely they must be dangerous especially on wet roads.

How so? The overhang is often no more than a large TA caravan?

Our RV has a particularly long overhang (most are less) and that is approx 4 metres from the axle line to the rear wall (see pic).

RV overhang.jpg

For comparrison here's a picture of our last TA caravan.

Caravan overhang.jpg

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I was going to reply to the OP but it would only wind me up and ruin my day lol.

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Have you seen the overhang on a single decker coach?

AL-KO and other chassis converters test the conversions using blocks of concrete at the payload etc. I feel far more safe in a motorhome - even in storm force winds, than I would with a caravan, testament to that is the storms I was out in in February, yet most people had called the site to cancel their bookings.

One of the most important safety features is quite simply the tyres.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

I was impressed by the new mercedes based panel van conversion described in both club's magazine. Absolutely minimal overhang.

My motorhome, the 425 has an overhang of around a meter and a half. The fresh water tank is in the offside rear corner and when the tank is full and 2 bikes on the rack, it can make for a light front end, not normally a problem, but if going up a steep hill on wet roads, wheel spin is too easy to achieve.

Speaking of overhang, what about Adria's long Adora or Astella single axle models? :rolleyes:

Just returned from holiday "Up Norf" and had not realised how many of these confounded things were on the roads (so much for bankrupt Britain).

Jealous are we?? :D

2019 Adria Adora Thames

Re. rear overhangs, I can't remember the detail, but the maximum overhang on any vehicle is a proportion of the wheelbase length. If you make the wheelbase longer, then you can increase the rear overhang. This is important for those with motorhomes who want a permanently fitted rack (bike, scooter or mobility scooter) on the back. This could count as part of the bodywork and exceed the overhang allowance (unless you move the back axle backwards at the same time, of course!)

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

Speaking of overhang, what about Adria's long Adora or Astella single axle models? :rolleyes:

Jealous are we?? :D

Most certainly not jealous---i wouldn't have one of these things in a gift.

Laybye Lodgers i call them.

I was impressed by the new mercedes based panel van conversion described in both club's magazine. Absolutely minimal overhang.

My motorhome, the 425 has an overhang of around a meter and a half. The fresh water tank is in the offside rear corner and when the tank is full and 2 bikes on the rack, it can make for a light front end, not normally a problem, but if going up a steep hill on wet roads, wheel spin is too easy to achieve.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

I have no knowledge of C&U regs as applied to caravanettes, but was merely making the observation compareing them to the strict overhang rules as we had to observe on HGV's.

Whilst these were relatively safe because of the rear axle weight allowed, i have seen many instances of damage caused when in a tight turn and the driver not realising just how much his rear end swung round.

Personally. i would not drive one of these monstrosities unless it was heavily laden between the axles.

I also question the safety of these large caravanettes as the ones i noted all had just single wheels on rear?????

PS.

Motorhome site would not accept my name and password as used here.

Edited by blondchaser

PS.

Motorhome site would not accept my name and password as used here.

I have checked and your name is not being used by anyone else at present, so I can set up a profile for you on Motorhome Talk using the same data as for CT, and PM a temporary password to you (you can then change it so something of your choosing).

PM me here on CT if you would like that.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Don't worry about the safety - they are tested and meet regulations.

I think you are talking about driver error in your post - nothing to do with the motorhome. The motorhome did not prang itself, just like when we read of overturned caravans on the motorways, the caravans do not overturn themselves either. What ever the cause, there is more involved.

Some of the largest motorhomes, 7500kg have a single rear axle but with twin wheels on - like a bus. These tend to be MAN, Iveco and Merc. Others, like mine at 5000kg have two axles at the rear.

Come and have a drive in it, in a severe storm or wind etc. You'll be amazed at the stability.

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Agreed there was a ween of motorhomes up north earlier this year. About 60-70% of the units on Brora CC were.

Sitting watching them setting \ packing up, travelling on the roads, etc made up our mind to make the switch from our car + twin axle van.

Our new toy is around 7. 6m long and does have a "sizeable" overhang but it's less than that on our TA. It's near enough the same overall length (about a foot shorter) as the TA but is, of course, about 5m shorter than the car + caravan combo.

In both formats the driver must be aware of the turning \ swinging circles as well as all other dimensions to be safe on the road.

As part of the manufacturers build specification there will be a weight limitation on the overhang (first question I asked of them). This is a similar loading regime as with a caravan - don't load up the tail so it wags the dog!

The issues we found with our motorhomes were:

Although ours were small and used as daily drivers they faced access restrictions and the constant daily connecting and setting up was a pain.

The non habitation part of the motorhome takes a fair chunk of the space and a similar size caravan is like a palace compared. The answer of course is to get a bigger motorhome, but then access restrictions and storage issues get worse and you have to run a further vehicle as a daily driver and so it spirals on.

Moving to a caravan was more restful.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Re. rear overhangs, I can't remember the detail, but the maximum overhang on any vehicle is a proportion of the wheelbase length. If you make the wheelbase longer, then you can increase the rear overhang. This is important for those with motorhomes who want a permanently fitted rack (bike, scooter or mobility scooter) on the back. This could count as part of the bodywork and exceed the overhang allowance (unless you move the back axle backwards at the same time, of course!)

I've forgot the formula too, but we used it when converting fire engines into recovery vehicles, we often had to extend the wheelbase to suit the length of ramp.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If you look under a long MH 20ft + the chassis stops just past the rear wheels and the weight is reduced at the rear . Normally it just a wooden frame work that holds the floor so the rear has no weight against the front with a engine and mechanical parts .

This why when a motorhome needs towbar fitted it involves long steel girders fixed to the chassis to extend the chassis as there is nothing to fix to only the wooden frame work of the coach build .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .