Advice On Route

Hi,

We're going from Moffat to Morvich in September on a Monday travelling back to Moffat on a Friday.

Any help with a suitable route would be appreciated. We traveled up to Bunree some years ago with a smaller caravan and remember it being a bit hairy topside of Loch Lomond up to Crianlarich,

now we have a bigger van we can't imagine it's easier.

Thanks

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

You can go via Callander A84 then onto the A 85 to Crainlarich. It cuts out the Loch Lomond route which I agree can be very busy.

Just this evening I spoke to someone who had just come down from the Isle of Skye for an appointment, ( Mm ! that sounds like a song) anyway he said it had taken him 7 hours because of the "tourist" traffic.

The Callander route is very nice though.

From Moffat you would follow the M74 and lead onto the M9

Hope you enjoy Scenic Scotland.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

You can go via Callander A84 then onto the A 85 to Crainlarich. It cuts out the Loch Lomond route which I agree can be very busy.

Just this evening I spoke to someone who had just come down from the Isle of Skye for an appointment, ( Mm ! that sounds like a song) anyway he said it had taken him 7 hours because of the "tourist" traffic.

The Callander route is very nice though.

From Moffat you would follow the M74 and lead onto the M9

Hope you enjoy Scenic Scotland.

Good route and rather bonny too. .

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Excellent route that goes close by CC sites at Killin if you want to break the journey. Also nice looking private sites on the outskirts of Callander at at Tyndrum, but Moffat to Morvich is do-able in a day albeit possibly a long one!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I concur with the Stirling - Callander - Crainlarich route. It avoids not only the narrow stretch at the northern end of Loch Lomond but also the risk of being delayed by the fall out from an accident in the Glasgow Monday morning rush hour. You just have to be alert to the lane changing for your route as you turn off the M74 and then by-pass Glasgow.

I note that you are travelling in September. If you were travelling in July or August, I would suggest another alternative that some of those from Skye and Mallaig use at that time of year as it is quicker as Fort William jams solid at times and the route over Glencoe can crawl along. You may wish to consider it as an alternative route for one of your journeys to see more of the Scottish Scenery. You continue past Stirling and Perth on the A9 and then at Dalwhinnie take the A889 joining the A86 to Spean Bridge where you turn Right for Invergarry and Morvich.

Enjoy Morvich - it is a lovely setting and the scenery around and about. We were there in April as it is less than 2 hours tow. Highly recommend a solo drive over the Mam Katagan pass to Glenelg for an explore and then take the small ferry across to Kylerea on Skye. Just after you arrive on Skye turn right for a small car park and a short walk to an Otter Hide - not guaranteed that you will see one. Another day we drove onto Skye and down to Armadale and crossed as foot passengers on the CalMac ferry to Mallaig for a short wander round and lunch. It is also an opportunity to see the Steam Train (The Jacobite) arrive from Fort William.

Edited to add: If you are interested in walking, take a look at the Walkhighlands website for a superb selection of walks for all abilities in the area. The walk directions and maps are free and we invariably use them when going somewhere new.

Edited by burstneraddict

The A889 route goes past Ardverickie (aka Glenbogle) where Monarch of the Glen was filmed, but the road is single track in parts, albeit with generous passing places.

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions, the Sterling-Callander-Crianlarrich looks a good alternative to Loch Lomond. It also misses Glasgow which I dislike driving through because the inside lane is sometimes for exiting the next junction and they don't let you out. Carrying on the A9 and then the A889 looks very narrow.

The WalkHighlands website looks good, thanks

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

It may appear narrow but I tow that way regularly and have never had a problem and there is relatively little traffic except on a Sunday afternoon when the motor cycle hoards are out in force on what is obviously a circular route from Glasgow. I just offered it as an alternative but totally understand your decision.

Other places of interest from Morvich are Plockton which is a lovely fishing village with palm trees along the sea front, pubs and hotels and trips with Callum in his boat to see the seals - it is free if you don't see any seals (which has never occurred) and is worth it for his commentary. The Pass of the Cattle (Bealach na Ba) provides spectacular views en route to Applecross and the road around the North of the peninsular is a superb scenic drive which is circular.