Isabella Fixon 2 Arghh........................................

Tandem Man

I always have the greatest of difficulty placing the Fixon 2 brackets on our Isabella Magnum,it is the worst bit of erecting the awning.

Does anyone else attach the Fixons prior to threading the awning through the awning rail or even leave them attached all the time,even when the awning is folded and in the bag ?

Ian

No I always remove mine and re fit them after the awning is slid onto the channel.

A simple diagram or drawing is handy to get them in the right position helps but they should clip onto the awning bead with ease.

Oh ! forgot to say you need to use the caravan step to get up there, and I'm a six footer.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

I know the right position and also use the step but they are an absolute sod to clip onto the beading,the chap on the Isabella video of course does it all in seconds.

Ian

We can't leave them on the rail on ours as they hit the side light. Only takes a few seconds to replace them on erection of the awning.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I am not understanding what the difficulty is with fitting them?

After using the Mk1 the Mk2 seems so much easier.

I do find I need to lift the roof locally, just by spare hand and ensure they are properly open before offering them up, but don't struggle.

I have marked the bead with permanent marker at the locations needed for an optimum fit, pole placement.

They can be little s*ds if you don't get the jaws wide open before fitting.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I leave mine on. ...If on the odd occasion one fouls the light, it just wants a lift to get it over. Much less hassle than taking them off and putting them on each time.

Trevor.

Les hates them and says they let Isabella down! He struggles to reach from the caravan step, only being 5ft 5ins tall. We tried leaving them on but they cling like limpets on to the side of the van and could easily mark it, so they get put on after the awning has been thread through the channel.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I leave them on too.

I'm only 5' 7" and stood on the top step I end up on tip-toes and still find I need 3 hands - one to lift the awning roof, one to hold the jaws apart (why oh why aren't they sprung?) and one to actually position the hateful thing.

So now they stay on the awning at all times.

Tony

I dont see the sticking like limpets thing. Mine tend to be at an angle of maybe 20 deg to the van side until its all in position and outboard end is being raised. Even they they are not sticking to van sides until roof poles start to go in.

I dont see the sticking like limpets thing. Mine tend to be at an angle of maybe 20 deg to the van side until its all in position and outboard end is being raised. Even they they are not sticking to van sides until roof poles start to go in.

That mirrors my experience exactly. :)

The only thing they tend to do is occasionally they will catch on where the awning rail is joined just above the side window. If this happens then a little flick frees it off.

I forgot to take mine off and one of them jammed against the joint in the awning rail and tore the roof panel - so no I don't leave them on.

I'd prefer not to leave them on but as I said above it is virtually impossible for me to fit them unless I were to carry a step ladder with me!

Maybe on the next trip I shall do just that and see if it helps.

Tony

Hmmm. .........................plenty to think about.

We don't have the problem with the light as it is a porch awning we thread it in from the rear where there is no light.

Think I will take the centre route and place them prior to threading the awning.

Thanks for the input.

Incidentally,one of our Fixons is broken and I have only seen them sold in threes at most accesory shops which makes replacement expensive at around £20 or so.

Found some single ones on sale here:-

http://www. caravanaccessoryshop. co. uk/product/isabella-fix-on-bracket-ii-1/1217

Need to add P&P but comes to about £10 all told which is a bit cheaper than buying three.

Ian

Edited by Tandem Man

Always remove mine, I left them on by accident once and I didn't feel happy with that arrangement when I next fitted the awning. I was worried about catching the caravan side. It didn't . .... but I am happier putting them on after threading the awning on the rail

Just my little way I suppose

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Nothing wrong with your approach Lute, I'd rather remove them and refit them myself - I just can't do it.

Maybe you've not seen the latest Isabella product - Fix-on 2s onna Stick. LOL

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Found some single ones on sale here:-

http://www. caravanaccessoryshop. co. uk/product/isabella-fix-on-bracket-ii-1/1217

Need to add P&P but comes to about £10 all told which is a bit cheaper than buying three.

Ian

Alternatively, three for less than twice the price of one would give you two spares - or two to sell on Ebay. ..

Tony :)

Always put mine on when the Magnum is in place on the rail.

Being in the 5' 8" league also need the step to do the job.

What I do is to hold the Fixon hinge point in with my RH, open the jaws with my LH fingers then grip the Fixon hinge point with the fingers of my RH locking the jaws open then position and lock.

The centre chap is easy to fit, with the outers I engage them about 4" inboard of awning cutouts then holding the awing up slightly slide them to line up with the fabric cutouts.

We always assemble the front poles first (Magnum Coal) so that my wife can take most of the roof weight which makes the Fixon fitting that much easier.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

We've got the Mk1's with our Ambassador full awning and the Mk2's with our Magnum porch awning. ... The Mk2's are a bl88dy nightmare so we almost always end up using the Mk1's which are put on after the awning is slid into the rail. ...

2004 Land Rover Discovery & 2011 Bailey Pegasus Bologna

I guess it's personal preference. I've also got the mk1 type on my full size Isabella and the mk2 on the Magnum but prefer the mk2, I keep meaning to buy another 2 so I can use them on the full size. I always take them off to prevent fouling and find them easy enough to put one handed. But I am well over 6ft so don't need to uae step!

I leave mine on. ...If on the odd occasion one fouls the light, it just wants a lift to get it over. Much less hassle than taking them off and putting them on each time.

Just what I do - just a little lift over the side lights - never thought to take them off :)

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)