Door Bumper

Halohodge

When driving abroad and you come to a toll booth you find mostly they are on the nearside and your partner has to either lean out or open the door to pay or operate the toll machine. I have found that if you put insulation tape or similar to the edge and bottom of the door you dont have to worry about banging the door on the concrete kerb which are usually high to protect the booth from damage, the tape can be removed when you get home.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

A good precaution, but why would you open the door? Surely opening the window should suffice; after all, it's what you would do in a LHD vehicle. Isn't it?

I can understand it if you were driving alone, and therefore had to alight and walk around the vehicle to pay.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Or buy a Sanef Toll Tag ! You don't need to open the door at all then, just breeze through while everyone else is bashing their doors against the machines. ..... ! :lol:

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Or buy a Sanef Toll Tag ! You don't need to open the door at all then, just breeze through while everyone else is bashing their doors against the machines. ..... ! :lol:

Not 'arf! It is such fun watching all the horrified French convinced you are about to block the lane.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

This is my tip, we find it useful precaution, the wife finds it easier that way, end of comments.

Oooh ! So sorry ! :rolleyes:

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

With the van on it is difficult to get close enough to lean out of the window. I always end up opening the door. Good tip Halohodge

Volvo V60 D5, Coachman VIP 2016, Isabella Magnum porch awning, powrtouch mover

Adventure before dementia

<p>

Oooh ! So sorry ! :rolleyes:

Ooh, think you hit a nerve there.

Can't see myself putting any sort of tape on my car, if you feel the need to open the door then why not just move over a bit more to the right, plenty of room even with the caravan on. We've just done what seemed like a million french toll booths and only had one problem, I'd left my wallet in the caravan and my wife didn't have enough money so paid by card, wife dropped card and it blew under the car, yes bang in the middle, will be getting a Tag next time.

Well, in response to the OP's actual suggestion, I wonder if insulation tape is thick enough to prevent damage. I would have thought not, and something with some foam attached such as draught excluder may be more successful.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Another door opener here if no operator in the toll booth. You can't get the car and caravan in close enough to put your card/money in the automated machines.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I've a lefthand drive car and the only time I've opened the door was when the toll booth operator dropped half the money, yes there have been times I've had to lean out a bit, and that was my fault for not driving closer to the curb.

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Another door opener here if no operator in the toll booth. You can't get the car and caravan in close enough to put your card/money in the automated machines.

Well its nice to know somebody agrees with me, yes you have to watch the van hitting the kerbs when entering the toll so I give them some clearance, thats why we open the door. The electrical tape I find is quite satisfactory to protect from minor knocks and is pealed off afterwards with no damage to paintwork, this is my tip, its not set in stone, people can adapt how they wish.

• 2 weeks later...

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

We are looking forward (a week to go ) on using our Sanef tag, my wife always has in the past open the door and lean out to either take a ticket or pay the toll, she is on holiday as well, that's why we have gone for the sanef.

Les

Les

I did`nt know you can still get these,used them many years ago and looked in Halfords without any success, give them a whirl next time.