Thank You!

Wardroy

Thank you everyone who advised me not to buy the caravan I saw with damp on Monday, and yes you were right, we found one on eBay and won it today so tomorrow we will be official owners of our first caravan! It was a couple of hundred quid more but is dry, has a recent service and loads of extras and is perfect!

Now. .. Very anxious to tow a caravan for the first time to bring it home.

Other than driving slowly and carefully, using my new extendable mirrors, consideration to corners and storing heavy objects over the axle, lighter objects on balance across the van, any other tips for tomorrow folks??

Tips for both driving safely and keeping stress levels down ;@)

Wardroy,

It will become second nature in no time at all and you will thrive on your new found addiction. Happy and safe towing!!!

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

For the first few miles you'll look up to your rear view mirror and shout "****! He's close!"

;)

You've pretty much got it there. Extra braking space, watch speed on motorways etc.

And congratulations.

For the first few miles you'll look up to your rear view mirror and shout "*****! He's close!"

;)

I move my mirror so I can't see for that very reason. :D

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

For the first few miles you'll look up to your rear view mirror and shout "****! He's close!"

;)

I will never forget the fright!!

Tip:ark the rear view mirror away so you don't look at it! It will become second nature pretty quickly

Caravanless. ...

So,pleased for you that you've found a decent one. Enjoy the tow, before long you won't even realise you're towing!

;)

Ha! Ha! My heart skipped a beat, when many years ago towing our Avondale Leda Pentland, the big single window made me think an HGV was on my bumper!!!

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

What caravan have you bought, Wardroy?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Other than driving slowly and carefully, using my new extendable mirrors, consideration to corners and storing heavy objects over the axle, lighter objects on balance across the van, any other tips for tomorrow folks??

Just a couple. Don't go at peak times, and when you hook up do take note of how the coupling works as it could be embarassing if you cannot unhitch when you get home :rolleyes:

Take it easy and you'll be fine,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Remember at junctions, traffic lights, roundabouts and keep clear/box junctions etc that you aren't just driving a car and the outfit is a fair bit longer, so you will need a bigger gap/more time to get through etc.

I was quite nervous the first time but soon got used to it.

If you're going on a motorway leave plenty of room for any lorries, coaches & even big vans & motorhomes. You will feel more of a tug as they go past than you ever did in just a car, but after the first couple you'll get used to the feel.

Check your mirrors a bit more - your new extended ones as the rear view is pretty redundant with a van on the back.

Get as many tips as you can from the seller, he knows the van better than anyone. Ask him to demonstrate how everything works both inside & outside.

Above all have fun.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Do some facial exercises as you will soon be grinning quite a lot. :D

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

i leave rear view mirror where it is, just to make sure the caravan is still there :D, you will be to exited to get stressed, os others have said take it easy and you will be fine

phil

Always plan your route in advance to avoid narrow roads etc.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

I was taught to drive by a police driving instructor back in the late 60's, before synchromesh gear boxes!

He always told me the best brake on the car is the engine so use the gear box to slow down rather than race up to the lights/junction then slam on.

It works even better when towing, so my best advice is always slow down well in advance using your gears.

Happy caravanning!

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

. .. always slow down well in advance using your gears.

First bit I agree with, whether towing or solo. Second bit's not so easy with some autos.

In the early days of our caravanning we would celebrate successful hook up with a shared bar of chocolate as the journey commenced.

We still do it.

Paul

2009 2. 5 Kia Sorento
2012 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

I was taught to drive by a police driving instructor back in the late 60's, before synchromesh gear boxes!

He always told me the best brake on the car is the engine so use the gear box to slow down rather than race up to the lights/junction then slam on.

It works even better when towing, so my best advice is always slow down well in advance using your gears.

Happy caravanning!

With modern vehicles using gears to slow you down is not good advice.

1) using gears places additional wear and tear on gearbox and clutch

2) it places additional strain on dmf if fitted

3) in most cases it only works on 2 wheels

4) you are in less control of the vehicle ( one hand off the wheel to change gear, not possible to easily adjust the braking effect)

Plane early, use the brakes to bring the vehicle speed down smoothly, modern systems (including abs) are very efficient and very effective will give better control

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but make sure you got the correct Towball for the hitch.

Not sure why anybody has not mentioned it but maybe think very seriously about doing a 1 day towing course with the caravan club or the likes. . They are very informative, will teach all the latest techniques and will make a safer tow driver and lower your insurance premium possibly. .

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/advice-and-training/training-courses

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

With modern vehicles using gears to slow you down is not good advice.

1) using gears places additional wear and tear on gearbox and clutch

2) it places additional strain on dmf if fitted

3) in most cases it only works on 2 wheels

4) you are in less control of the vehicle ( one hand off the wheel to change gear, not possible to easily adjust the braking effect)

Plane early, use the brakes to bring the vehicle speed down smoothly, modern systems (including abs) are very efficient and very effective will give better

B

Op take whatever advice you believe in, my post has served me well for over 30 years! and I'll continue to do it

Happy caravanning

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her