I Just Don't Get It!

decho

Enjoying a fabulous week at lovely New England Bay with best weather ever. I was up filling the water and yet another motor home trundled up along side with an A frame contraption attached to the back with a small car attached. That's the 3rd I've seen in the 3 days I've been here.

I just don't understand it, surely this is the wrong way round- why tow a car behind a motor home, then spend the rest of your stay running around un some small car when you can get a nice car, tow a caravan behind you and then have the pleasure of what in most cases will be a larger place to stay as well as decent sized car to travel around in. Don't most of these motorhomes just about have enough power to get it moving along the road on its own, let alone to have a car hanging off the back?

Don't get me wrong I do get the point of motor homes, even though I don't think it would be for me but I just don't get motor homes towing a car.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Can someone please enlighten me?

For me it's simple convenience of having independent transport as our chosen RV is just a tad inconvenient for the village shopping. We bought the large MH to give us extra space that is not available in any UK caravan, but I agree that at first sight it does sound a strange way of carrying on.

Hurricane_31D_206.jpg

We would never trail a small car on an A-frame; not just because of the questionable legality in some countries, but more because they impose undue strain on the car's front steering, and the car has to be modified to allow for braking on all four wheels when on tow.

Let's face it, it's nice to enjoy the holidays, and so we tow a small car on a trailer, thus all of the local travel is significantly cheaper than running the MH, plus we have the comfort and convenience of a 'mobile cottage' upon return to the campsite.

WP_20130814_002.jpg

If we ever have another smaller motorhome, I am convinced that we will not be towing anything, but will most likely rely on a couple of bikes strapped to the rear wall for local trips. We've trailed numerous caravans of all sizes over the years, from this. . .

Outfit 1985.jpg

. . . to this. . .

Windsor_on_a_hill.jpg

. . . so I wouldn't rule out having another one day :)

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Gordon

Down size ? You been spoilt once you have a RV

As said In some ways you save money on fuel by making one journey with motorhome and towed small car and then you can journey out in a small car instead of running a large towcar .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Wow that's some beast - I wouldn't like to try and park that in Morrisons in Stranraer, so I can perhaps understand why you would want a car in the back. But for most mortals spending €100k plus(well that's what Knowepark caravans seem to charge for anything like as big as this) on a motorhome big enough to tow a car is probably a wee bit on the 'pricey' side.

The ones I have seen have been of a more moderate size(but probably still very expensive!) with a tiny car on the back. I wouldn't like to get stuck behind one with my car and caravan on the back.

'

These huge MH's turn up on my favourite site making it look like

a MH exhibition centre. The owners then do nothing but moan

about the cost of diesel, road tax, servicing, and running another car!

Best I have seen, a small spiderlike vehicle with a big shopping basket

and a pullcord starter. The MH pulled in set up and lifted this little vehicle

down, fueled up and disappeared to the nearest supermarket.

and a pullcord starter.

Was it one of these Q-Pods?

Q-Pod.jpg

The 6. 9 litre V10 in our RV is more than capable of towing a small car, and not slowing down on the hills, but I take your point about some MHs being somewhat under powered for their weight, and owners of these need to consider whether an additional trailer is appropriate. When we used my wife's parent's VW camper, the 2litre engine was fine for the basic vehicle when loaded, but adding a trailer would have made the performance unaccptable.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Was it one of these Q-Pods?

attachicon.gifQ-Pod. jpg

The 6. 9 litre V10 in our RV is more than capable of towing a small car, and not slowing down on the hills, but I take your point about some MHs being somewhat under powered for their weight, and owners of these need to consider whether an additional trailer is appropriate. When we used my wife's parent's VW camper, the 2litre engine was fine for the basic vehicle when loaded, but adding a trailer would have made the performance unaccptable.

Gordon.

It does look similar but I seem to remember it had a "pram hood"

type top, I would not say no to one as a plaything.

It does look similar but I seem to remember it had a "pram hood"

type top, I would not say no to one as a plaything.

There are all sorts of variations, including open tops, three wheelers, five wheelers, and mini sports car lookalikes. They look like fun, but come with a heavy pricetag for what they are, but for new drivers, I believe they can be driven by 16 year olds on a M/C licence. You see quite a few on the continent.

Gordon.

I bet you never hear an RV owner complaining about road tax, they all cost £165 a year, and in my house, that would make it the cheapest vehicle to tax.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I bet you never hear an RV owner complaining about road tax, they all cost £165 a year, and in my house, that would make it the cheapest vehicle to tax.

But often the fee charged does reflect the time the vehicle is on the road :)

The other vehicles are higher, but our little Picanto runabout is just £30 pa - Yay!

Gordon.

It's the cheapest of all our vehicles. The reason we have changed to a motorhome is that we can use it that much more. We don't just use it for holidays, but also for days down the beach, days out to places of interest like Warwick castle as an example. It's great to just jump in, roll the blinds up, start up & just drive off.

I've been looking at towing a small car behind my motorhome as quite often mrs W drives Her car behind where we are going, same as when we had the caravan. Would be nice to save a bit of money not paying to fuel 2 vehicles but at the moment I can't as her car is an auto. I don't complain about the cost of fuel - it is what it is & my MH gives pretty much the same mpg as the voyager did towing.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

When we were a New England Bay earlier this month, we too noticed a lot of cars (of all sizes) towed behind motorhomes. While I can understand the logic (car needed to shop etc while on site), what I didn't understand was one motorhomer, who left his car and trailer on his pitch, and went out in his motorhome.

Quite often we get to a site with a lot of empty pitches,

then around tea time they all stampede back, parkup

(which ever way around they fancy :rolleyes: ) and rush off on

foot for dinner in the nearest pubs.

The following day its like migrating beasts as they all rush

off to hog beach parking.

But the fee charged does reflect the time the vehicle is on the road :)

The other vehicles are higher, but our little Picanto runabout is just £30 pa - Yay!

Gordon.

My 2. 2l Mazda CX-5 is £30 p/a road tax also. ..

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

These huge MH's turn up on my favourite site making it look like

a MH exhibition centre. The owners then do nothing but moan

about the cost of diesel, road tax, servicing, and running another car!

and a pullcord starter. The MH pulled in set up and lifted this little vehicle

down, fueled up and disappeared to the nearest supermarket.

As said not tax at 163 but a US RV petrol will do about 10 mpg if your lucky or about 18 on LPG. Something to moan about but a lot of tow cars towing a TA dont achieve much better ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The ones like Gordon's certainly restrict you from going to many sites, but everyone's different

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

I've been looking at towing a small car behind my motorhome as quite often mrs W drives Her car behind where we are going, same as when we had the caravan.

Your Mrs drove her car behind you and the caravan Woodie?

My 2. 2l Mazda CX-5 is £30 p/a road tax also. ..

Ooops, I made a mistake, it actually says 'Nill' on the disk.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quite often we get to a site with a lot of empty pitches,

then around tea time they all stampede back, parkup

(which ever way around they fancy :rolleyes: ) and rush off on

foot for dinner in the nearest pubs.

The following day its like migrating beasts as they all rush

off to hog beach parking.

I think I am missing your point. Are these people not booking the pitches or impinging on your pitch? Are they getting to the pub before you (a genuine problem in my opinion :lol: )? Maybe they just get up earlier due to their badly positioned units and beat you to beach?

A guy I worked with bought an old US Tri axle RV. He spent about 5 yrs converting it and updating it. It has large Cummins Twin turbo diesel and now has 6 wheel steering for those tight turns

and variable height air suspension and lift axles. His car a Picanto fits in the back and is lifted out on a Ratcliffe tail lift from an old Tesco trailer.

He is currently in in Nepal on year two of a five year drive back to his homeland in New Zealand. That's the way to do it

Edited by Towtug

A guy I worked with bought an old US Tri axle RV. He spent about 5 yrs converting it and updating it. It has large Cummins Twin turbo diesel and now has 6 wheel steering for those tight turns

and variable height air suspension and lift axles. His car a Picanto fits in the back and is lifted out on a Ratcliffe tail lift from an old Tesco trailer.

He is currently in in Nepal on year two of a five year drive back to his homeland in New Zealand. That's the way to do it

The last bit is going to test the waterproofing!

If at first you don't succeed, it may be best to give up.

Just think if he'd bought the Picanto and a tent five years ago. would have been home by now and had fewer reliability issues and problems accessing small mountain roads :blink:

Of course his way his just a tiny bit cooler!

Your Mrs drove her car behind you and the caravan Woodie?

Er - well kind of. We're motorhomers so sometimes she does if we are going somewhere that's going to be awkward to take the MH - like at Christmas we were at the CC site at Longleat & knew we wanted to go in to Bristol on Christmas Eve so we took the car as nice as Bristol is, it's not very MH friendly.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Er - well kind of. We're motorhomers so sometimes she does if we are going somewhere that's going to be awkward to take the MH - like at Christmas we were at the CC site at Longleat & knew we wanted to go in to Bristol on Christmas Eve so we took the car as nice as Bristol is, it's not very MH friendly.

Yeah I get that with a MH, your previous post read, to me, that she drove separately when you had a caravan to?