Cris Registration

zen

We have just replaced our van and have paid for the CRiS reg. While on the phone the person from CRiS told us about a system of marking the van so a thief would virtually be unable to remove it's identification. the cost wasn't prohibitive but we didn't take it up because, if our van was stolen we wouldn't want it back.

A psychological thing but it is the thought that some other person had intruded in our lives and it wouldn't feel the same.

Are we being stupid?

Personally as long as it wasn't damaged I'd just clean through and be quite happy to have it back

i would not want mine back chances are it could be damaged so would end up a repaired caravan . New for old ? . ...Keep it and i ll have a new one thanks .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If,when you come to sell a recovered caravan, is it registered as stolen by CRiS and would this affect it's resale value?

knarf

If,when you come to sell a recovered caravan, is it registered as stolen by CRiS and would this affect it's resale value?

knarf

good point.

The idea I believe is that there are so many little security dots that can't be removed so it puts people off stealing your van as for the to remove them all they would have to strip the van and they don't want the inconvenience

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

I came across a caravan a couple of weeks ago that had the VIN numbers tampered with on the windows. The person who bought it had a letter from CRiS (could have been printed out by anyone!) given to him from the person he bought it from saying it was not registered as stolen. Upon further investigation with CRiS it turned out that the original VIN & the new (tampered with) VIN were both registered with them! So they happily took money off of someone to register a caravan that didn't exist! I left the customer trying to find out what to do next as neither of the VINs had been registered a stolen but obviously it had been at some time.

My guess I that although it was stolen it was probably not insured therefore no notification was sent to them.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

Of course if your caravan is stolen and broken up, and the various components have microdots on them, then the police have a better chance of identifying them as stolen and securing a conviction. You won't get you caravan back, but it might be one less criminal on the streets.