Caravan Fire

Click

Anyone know of reports concerning caravan fires caused by fridges running off gas.
First day of holiday van completely destroyed by fire. From witness reports appears to have started at fridge. Caravan 2000 Abbey with Electrolux fridge.
After 20yrs with caravans now reluctant to get another until we work out what may have gone wrong.

First one I have ever heard in all the years I have been touring. ... Certainly would not put me off. .. Saying that very rarely used the fridge and fire on Gas . .... Being a older caravan wonder if the van was regularly maintained ? May not even be fridge related ???

GAS . ... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Wow glad you are OK most importantly.

Tens and tens of thousands of vans run on gas each year without any issue so whilst I appreciate its raw to you, the principle of running a fridge on gas is fine

As always regular servicing is key as is having a working CO and smoke alarm

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

That's an awful thing to have happened but at least you were out, given that caravans contain gas, batteries, electricity in various forms and are bounced around on a regular basis, and given that you've caravanned for 20 years isn't it fair to say that it was an unlucky and rare incident.

In the boating world it would be unfair to say it was common but on a number of occasions boat fires have been attributed to gas leaking and settling in the bilge and later finding a source of ignition.

I wonder if it's possible for gas to have gathered under the fridge area, then the burner to have ignited it.

Do you know if you're drop vents were clear? Had the fridge been serviced/repaired in the last couple of years?

I expect it's difficult to tell what went wrong after the event when there is little evidence left, it must be quite an eye opening event and I'm glad you are safe and sound but I would have thought it was quite a rare event and it shouldn't put you off when he insurance is sorted.

Wow glad you are OK most importantly.

Tens and tens of thousands of vans run on gas each year without any issue so whilst I appreciate its raw to you, the principle of running a fridge on gas is fine

As always regular servicing is key as is having a working CO and smoke alarm

Agree but the idea of using appliances on Gas when I have electric makes me feel a lot more Safe even though I had a CO and Smoke detector. ... Re-read your Post Click did not realise it was your van. . Hopefully you will find out the cause of the fire and glad to see no one was injured. ....

GAS . ... :angry:

Anyone know of reports concerning caravan fires caused by fridges running off gas.

First day of holiday van completely destroyed by fire. From witness reports appears to have started at fridge. Caravan 2000 Abbey with Electrolux fridge.

After 20yrs with caravans now reluctant to get another until we work out what may have gone wrong.

Glad you are ok :) Sorry about your van :( Personally I think gas is very safe but I do understand how these things can go wrong so easilly. If you recently got the van serviced by a gas safe agent then I would certainly consider writing to them with this news. Hope you have no insurance issues.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

At one time we only had gas to run fridges and never heard in 50 yrs of a fridge having any issues itself . Gas leaks and not had a gas soundness check? . There is nothing to burn from a small pilot light which is Thermo coupled for flame failure and a chimney that vents out though a plastic grill .

More chances of the electronics burning out than a gas problem .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

A friend lost a Coachman pastiche a few years back the same way- faulty gas flue

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but have never heard or read of the fridge starting a fire. As suggested could have been a faulty gas flue. Hopefully you were insured?

In my 3 years in the industry across 3 different sites I've seen 4 or 5 fridge fires. Certainly one of the less common things to happen. They normally stop working rather than spontaneously combust!

Reading Caravans - Main dealers for Bailey, Swift Group and Lunar

Servicing, warranty and repair work available.

We also offer motor Movers, Covers, Awnings and more from our on-site shop

Contact me on 01189 888111 or ed. ewer@readingcaravans. com

Thanks everyone for kind replays to post re the caravan fire, does help.

Fortunately most equipment was still in car. Quick action by farmer saved car by dragging it away so only minor damage.

On site had problems with ignition of fridge, couldn't see flame in glass viewer. Understand caravan regularly serviced every year by previous owners, last full service 2011. I suspect electrical fault on the 12v. Any more info re this subject will be helpful to us. Many thanks, Click.

post-68820-0-60033600-1406360052_thumb.jpg

As someone else who has lost a van through fire. ....but bbq hose related,we think. ...my sympathy.

I am wary now on gas matters and last year had a van service and I know the fridge and flue were done as I watched it. ...couple of weeks later awful smells and very hot vents. .......flue was filthy when stripped down again. ....another weekend,same thing. .....Engineer query, dirty gas?was it a cheaper brand. ..it was. ............

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Thanks everyone for kind replays to post re the caravan fire, does help.

Fortunately most equipment was still in car. Quick action by farmer saved car by dragging it away so only minor damage.

On site had problems with ignition of fridge, couldn't see flame in glass viewer. Understand caravan regularly serviced every year by previous owners, last full service 2011. I suspect electrical fault on the 12v. Any more info re this subject will be helpful to us. Many thanks, Click.

Whilst I fully sympathise. No service in 3 years :o

Mahatma Gandhi

According to OP caravan serviced annually but last FULL service in 2011. Doesn't mean that it was not serviced in regard to pressure tests etc.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

As someone else who has lost a van through fire. ....but bbq hose related,we think. ...my sympathy.

I am wary now on gas matters and last year had a van service and I know the fridge and flue were done as I watched it. ...couple of weeks later awful smells and very hot vents. .......flue was filthy when stripped down again. ....another weekend,same thing. .....Engineer query, dirty gas?was it a cheaper brand. ..it was. ............

Geoff

Morning Geoff,

As I said in a previous Post don't trust that gas stuff and I know many caravaners do . .. In the 8 years I owned my last van from new only used the cooker with gas and that was a rarity as I had a combi cooker. .... Saying that nearly burnt the van doon with a candle one night !! :blush:

GAS . ...... :angry:

Morning Geoff,

As I said in a previous Post don't trust that gas stuff and I know many caravaners do . .. In the 8 years I owned my last van from new only used the cooker with gas and that was a rarity as I had a combi cooker. .... Saying that nearly burnt the van doon with a candle one night !! :blush:

GAS . ...... :angry:

Well, you have to try and warm Scotland up somehow GAS. ;)

Mahatma Gandhi

Glad you're all ok click :o

From your post it appears the owner carried out his own services and you mention problem lighting fridge so it sounds like that was your problem.

I would recommend anyone buying a used caravan gets it serviced by a qualified engineer before using especially if it's not been serviced for some years - it's a small price to pay for possibly saving a life - I hope you buy another but get it checked next time.

A Vanner without a van due to the demands of DIY and SWMBO - 40 years was a good run though :unsure:

Now a Motorhome Learner with a Fiat Toad :o

They recommend the fridge is serviced yearly but you have to ask as its not part of a standard service.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

They recommend the fridge is serviced yearly but you have to ask as its not part of a standard service.

Really, at my service, mine was checked on all 3 power systems without asking, as well as having the flue cleaned and the outer seals replaced. To the OP, thankfully you/ family are ok!

Saab 9-3 2. 2 tid. Abbey Aventura 2001 312

I can only recommend that a yearly service is carried out. Used fridges on gas whilst on no hook up for 22 years never had an issue other than airlocks so it won't immediately ignite.

David

Nissan X-Trail Adventura KIA Sorento & Elddis Affinity 554

Hi Click, I am sorry to here what happened to you but I am glad your all okay. I friend of mine caravan went up in flames at one of our event a few years ago, the quick response of the on site fire service managed to put the fire out before the caravan was burned to the ground. They told him the fire appeared to have started from the fridge area, cause unknown.

The caravan was later wrote off, I have to admit it was a scary site watching it go up in flames, you feel so helpless as there is nothing you can do once the flames get hold. the ex fire service team we hire where superb, I am so glad we have them at our shows they are worth every penny.

I know this post doesn't help you very much but it does seem to point to the fridge being the cause.