Avondale Avocet Wall Coverings ( Not Just Boards)

JamesF

Hi all ( especially Gordon :) )

I've a 2005/6 Avocet and I want to repair a couple of places where the wall covering has been damaged. One in the living area and one in the bathroom area.

I have 2 problems

1: Wall "paper / covering" living area.

The damage in the living area is surface damage, so that wall covering (wallpaper?) rather than replacement paneling would be ideal and I can see evidence of a similar repair in another area so I assume that this "was" available. The panels are beige flecked in what I believe is "Avondale 1" see photo attached. Is this still available as google etc mainly goes to panels!

2: Shower room panel covering .

There is damage in the shower room wall behind the toilet due to a leaking Thetford tank ( now cured). This is the blue marbled covering (picture 2 but I have had some problems making the picture colours look exactly like the actual walls!!)) which I could repair with either covering OR replacement panel as the board itself is sound, HOWEVER I can't find out what this covering is called so any help would be great so I can then search for a supply. This surface is vinyl waterproof I believe.

Cheers

Jim

post-34429-0-66897700-1406265758_thumb.jpg

post-34429-0-75815400-1406265773_thumb.jpg

Edited by JamesF

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

The wall coverings are not a "paper", they are foil laminate on plywood so is not available as a separate item.

The wall coverings are not a "paper", they are foil laminate on plywood so is not available as a separate item.

Thanks but it's just that on one wall there has been a piece of the "wall paper" covering replaced ( a piece about 2 ft by a foot) and cut into the existing surface. Unless they stipped it off a "board" I assumed that it was then available ( for repairs etc)

Jim

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

It is true that in most cases the wall board has a vinyl coating that's applied, before the board is cut to size and fitted into caravans. It is equally true that you can fix a vinyl wallpaper on top of this board if (as in your case) it is damaged, but to make a tidy job, you would probably need to cover other perfectly good areas as a paper matching with the original pattern is highly unlikely. I have papered the interior of a caravan I restored, and with care it can look neat and tidy, but it can be an absolute pain in areas where the wall is not flat, so beware.

Elddis_Whirlwind_019.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

It is true that in most cases the wall board has a vinyl coating that's applied, before the board is cut to size and fitted into caravans. It is equally true that you can fix a vinyl wallpaper on top of this board if (as in your case) it is damaged, but to make a tidy job, you would probably need to cover other perfectly good areas as a paper matching with the original pattern is highly unlikely. I have papered the interior of a caravan I restored, and with care it can look neat and tidy, but it can be an absolute pain in areas where the wall is not flat, so beware.

attachicon.gifElddis_Whirlwind_019. jpg

Thanks Gordon

I just can't seem to find any of the "Avondale 1" "wall paper" on line so I assume that it's no longer made.

Just a though on the other point - the name of the Bathroom boad ( the blue/white marble vinyl ) -

Any idea what it's called. I did have a thought that it may well be a general caravan board and not just from Avondale and therefore possibly still available IF I could find what it was called :)

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Gordon

I just can't seem to find any of the "Avondale 1" "wall paper" on line so I assume that it's no longer made.

'Avondale 2' board is available from here, but I suspect as it is not listed, 'Avondale 1' is no longer available. Remember that this is vinyl coated wallboard though, and not paper! The paper I used was simply a near match, purchased from the local DIY outlet.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

The vinyl paper IS available without the 3mm ply backing. ...usually only to the trade though. I don't think you will be able to sourced the exact vinyl for an Avondale as it's no longer made.

For any additional information or advice please have a look on my website. .....

www. thecaravanmedic-swindon. co. uk

The vinyl paper IS available without the 3mm ply backing. ...usually only to the trade though.

That's interesting. I didn't realise it was available as a separate item, if only to the trade.

Gordon.

Yep. ..I met one of the suppliers at the NEC a couple of years ago. Dealers often remove the vinyl to allow the ply to dry out & then fit a new sheet.

Makes perfect sense. Just didn't realise it was an option. We learn something new every day :)