Vip 545 2014 - Caravan Electrics

petejev

Hi all

I am not sure if I have a problem with the electrics on my new 2014 VIP 545.

The owners manual (page 45) states that the digital control panel master switch does not disable the alarm, radio, awning light and fridge when switched off. However on my new van when the master is switched off the radio powers down and the awning light is not functioning with the alarm activation/deactivation also I have had a number of false alarms even though I am on the minimum sensitivity setting. And another when I connected the mains up to the van for the first time there was a loud buzzing noise from I think the solar controller for about a minute then it stopped. Can anybody give me heads up as to whether the van is faulty or just settling down. Thanks Pete

2019 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Inscription. Pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 575 fitted with Powertouch Mover

The wiring may be a little different in ours but the radio does turn off -apparently. However, there is a second supply to allow the radio to remember its settings and that does remain powered until you remove the front panel. The awning light should come on with the alarm and stay on for a minute or so. Does it work using the button on the remote control? I don't know what the buzzing was; has th solar charger stopped working?

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Hi Petejev,

i have identical van, will check on awning light later today but from memory does not activate with master off . Have you checked solar panel control unit to see if its charging ( left hand green led will be flashing if its giving an output to leisure batt weather permitting that is ) .

As for fridge & radio will check and report back today .

ps Great choice of van love ours .

Luckily we are all different

Been to the storage site to check on van, my radio is un responsive with master switch off and also as i earlier reported the awning light does not come on as a courtesy light when alarm is set . Fridge will work if a power source is available with master off ( ie gas or 12v ) .

Battery showing 13. 8v on display panel with solar panel LH led flashing . Internal temp 36c !!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily we are all different

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input guys, it would appear that the handbook and actual installation are not joined up. I emailed Coachman but have not had any response from them. On another note I have been doing a soak test on the battery charger and have been on EHU for several days, the charger seems to be stuck at 14. 2v output which in my opinion is too high, I thought the charger would drop back to 13. 8v when the battery was fully charged. Any comment from anybody. Many thanks Pete

2019 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD Inscription. Pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 575 fitted with Powertouch Mover

We have a 2013 model, without solar panel, and our charger boosts to 14. 2v for 4 hours in a 24hr period. Not sure if this is a continuous 4hr period though. May be worth checking at a different time of day, or even night, to get a fairer reading.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

The wiring may be a little different in ours but the radio does turn off -apparently. However, there is a second supply to allow the radio to remember its settings and that does remain powered until you remove the front panel. The awning light should come on with the alarm and stay on for a minute or so. Does it work using the button on the remote control? I don't know what the buzzing was; has th solar charger stopped working?

Our Dealer fitted a Isolation switch to the Radio, as every time we switched on the Demo kept appearing, this has now sorted out the problem, we now don't have to take the Radio Front off, also we had to set the unit on Audio overnight as the unit would not switch off Grrrrrrr

Les

Les

• 3 weeks later...

We have 2014 Pastiche where Radio cannot be switched off and electrics 'scramble' every time master switch is used and when car electrics attached. No help had from dealer or Coachman.

Sent radio back to very helpful Bose,who said nothing wrong with it but gave us a new radio. Hasn't cured problem.

Problem with caravan wiring?

Our porch light activated by key ring radio and in 'off' works via master panel. When key radio switch is on master panel ineffective.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your input guys, it would appear that the handbook and actual installation are not joined up. I emailed Coachman but have not had any response from them. On another note I have been doing a soak test on the battery charger and have been on EHU for several days, the charger seems to be stuck at 14. 2v output which in my opinion is too high, I thought the charger would drop back to 13. 8v when the battery was fully charged. Any comment from anybody. Many thanks Pete

Hi Pete,

I've been setting our 545/4 up today and installed a tracker. I also noticed, now it's gone dark, that the awning light and radio don't work with the Master Switch OFF. Did you ever get a reply from Coachman?

Hi Mallah

No I never had anything back from Coachman. I have resigned myself to the status quo ie not as in described in the handbook. I might raise this with Coachman next week at NEC. I have just put my 545 to bed for the winter but it is in the back garden so I can check it out regularly and top up the battery with EHU. Best of luck with the new van. Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have a 2013 VIP 545/4 and have had considerable problems with battery discharge over a 3-4 week period since the beginning. Checked dicharge at bettery end and this was as expected by Sargent and Phantom ie about 40mA. I have a 110 Amphr AGM battery installed, after the first one went down due to severe discharge. I now monitor the battery regularly through Phantom and change it evry 3 weeks. I fitted a 65 watt solar panel ealier this year and have attained 4 months, albeit summer autumn on the panel. Hard work with dealer and Coachman but in the end BCA came and did the same tests as I had done but could not see a problem. The deale had changed the charger, the control panel and the Sargent alarm. As everything else has been really good I have got to the stage of accepting the status quo and checking my battery regularly. My advise to others ids to keep a check on the battery during any storage period.

Paul