Trailer Size

Marks

I saw a Isuzu Big Horn towing a trailer down the M5 yesterday, I noticed it because there were 2 TVR's on it, one behind the other, which made the trailer in excess of 30ft long, twin axles at the rear and a single bogey type axle at the front, then as I passed I saw the Isuzu had Dutch plates. I light of the recent discussions about the Dutch and their towing habits, I had to think, was that trailer legal, I have never seen anything like it.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

A UK built trailer towed by a UK registered vehicle under 3500 kg Gross can only have a body length of 7m. However it possible to type approve a trailer longer than 7m and these can be used in Europe. European registered vehicles can tow these trailers in the UK under a UN agreement called VCORT

The type of trailer with axle the arrangement you describe from last year can only be type approved with continuous brakes. Overrun brakes are not permitted anymore.

Edited by Towtug

Brakes that are actuated by the towing vehicle (often electronic or air as on artics), as opposed to over run brakes as on caravans that are actuated when the drawbar is compressed by the caravan moving forward under the braking load of the tow car, which then applies the caravan brakes.

The drawbar type trailers (ie with a wheel at each corner) can still be approved within the UK with an overrun brake, but only through the IVA process. They tow really well, and are very stable and put no noticeable downforce on the coupling of the tow vehicle.

I saw a Isuzu Big Horn towing a trailer down the M5 yesterday, I noticed it because there were 2 TVR's on it, one behind the other, which made the trailer in excess of 30ft long, twin axles at the rear and a single bogey type axle at the front, then as I passed I saw the Isuzu had Dutch plates. I light of the recent discussions about the Dutch and their towing habits, I had to think, was that trailer legal, I have never seen anything like it.

They are great fun too reverse, they sort the men from the boys they do .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Brakes that are actuated by the towing vehicle. ..

Is this the kind of axle arrangement, although with a flat bed rather than a box?
Six wheel pivoting front axle trailer.jpg

They are great fun too reverse, they sort the men from the boys they do .

Been there - done that - not easy. Like trying to reverse two trailers in tandam.

Lynton, I believe, tried this arrangement on a caravan in the '70s, without success. The floor level was higher at the front to allow the pivoting axle and wheels to pass beneath, so the front dinette was a tad cramped with minimal headroom.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

If the are as stable as people say, and will put no downward stain on the town ball, why are they so rare, apart from being very hard to reverse.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

why are they so rare, apart from being very hard to reverse.

Hard to reverse, and relatively heavy owing to the extra axle(s).

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

In Europe they are not that rare. However they dont have the length/GVW restriction.

Alot of exhibition trailers are constructed this way.

A UK built trailer towed by a UK registered vehicle under 3500 kg Gross can only have a body length of 7m. However it possible to type approve a trailer longer than 7m and these can be used in Europe. European registered vehicles can tow these trailers in the UK under a UN agreement called VCORT

Any link to VCORT as nothing shows up on a search?

Not all foreign vehicles have approval to operate in the UK with dimensions and/or weights greater than the UK C&U Regulations permit.

From another site the relevant details appear to be. ......

"The International Convention relative to Motor Traffic provides visiting vehicles with an exemption from the construction, equipment and maintenance of vehicle requirements specified in Part II of Construction and Use Regs

but not from the requirements for Regulations 7, 8, and 10, which relate to length, width and height respectively

Whilst there has been quite extensive harmonisation of laws the relevant Directive for this issue, 96/53/EC, Annex I, states the maximum authorised dimensions for certain road vehicles in the EU which only relate to large passenger carrying vehicles, large goods vehicles and trailers with a weight of over 3500 kg only. This exemption does not cover light vehicles under 3500Kg.

The UK is permitted to refuse to admit vehicles into the UK if the dimensions exceed limits fixed by its own domestic legislation.

The articles you refer to are the very same. I think as is often the case the UK because it has no requirement for trailer registration it also has limited means for detection and enforcement. In short the UK could disallow vehicles that dont conform. But in practice it has signed up to CARS21 which promotes harmonisation of all the standards. The 7m rule in the UK is nothing to do with C and U per se its more of a tax thing. Ultimately its likely that our laws will change to conform. I believe caravan and trailer testing will happen in the next few years and of course then mandatory registration will need to happen.

The articles you refer to are the very same. I think as is often the case the UK because it has no requirement for trailer registration it also has limited means for detection and enforcement. In short the UK could disallow vehicles that dont conform. But in practice it has signed up to CARS21 which promotes harmonisation of all the standards. The 7m rule in the UK is nothing to do with C and U per se its more of a tax thing. Ultimately its likely that our laws will change to conform. I believe caravan and trailer testing will happen in the next few years and of course then mandatory registration will need to happen.

C&U Regs have everything to do with 7 metre trailer length as it specifies the dimensions and weights of vehicles in the UK.

The 7 metre length has nothing to do with tax. What tax would apply to a 7m trailer?

Hamonisation doesn't mean everything will be identical throughout the EU and countries will continue to have derogations where needed.

There have been cases of oversize European registered caravans being stopped in the UK but it appears that there are very few non-compliant units in use and they are difficult to identify on the move. .

When the UK decided to increase trailer width to 2. 55m but not to increase the length limit it was on the basis that there was very little demand and, within the EU, very few caravans are manufactured that exceed 7m body length. Those that do were usually found to be sited semi-permanently for seasonal use or were permanent installations.

Hard to reverse, and relatively heavy owing to the extra axle(s).

Gordon.

All the trailers on our farm when I grew up where this type. .. I took out a few gateposts I can tell you. :unsure:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

The Vienna agreements are only for C&U issues and not legal road requirements no more than we can use trailers over 4m high in this country but not allowed into EU and the need for long vehicle plates although not needed here and the list can go on for legal requirements .

The 7m is a legal road regulation and not a C&U issue so really they should not be allowed but they seem to turn a blind eye .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

C&U Regs have everything to do with 7 metre trailer length as it specifies the dimensions and weights of vehicles in the UK.

The 7 metre length has nothing to do with tax. What tax would apply to a 7m trailer?

Hamonisation doesn't mean everything will be identical throughout the EU and countries will continue to have derogations where needed.

There have been cases of oversize European registered caravans being stopped in the UK but it appears that there are very few non-compliant units in use and they are difficult to identify on the move. .

When the UK decided to increase trailer width to 2. 55m but not to increase the length limit it was on the basis that there was very little demand and, within the EU, very few caravans are manufactured that exceed 7m body length. Those that do were usually found to be sited semi-permanently for seasonal use or were permanent installations.

The "tax thing" I refer to is limiting normal passenger and light goods vehicles from using long trailers for commercial haulage, caravans are classified as a special purpose trailer. If you want to manufacture a trailer longer than 7m you can do but it can, in the UK, only be drawn by a vehicle with a gross weight greater than 3500kg. You can build a trailer longer than 7m and type approve it.

Caravans are only 01 or 02 trailers. Those with a body length greater than 7m until recently attracted no VAT.

The Vienna agreements are only for C&U issues and not legal road requirements no more than we can use trailers over 4m high in this country but not allowed into EU and the need for long vehicle plates although not needed here and the list can go on for legal requirements .

The 7m is a legal road regulation and not a C&U issue so really they should not be allowed but they seem to turn a blind eye .

Dave

Under Type Approval
A class O2 trailer is limited to 7m body length and 3500kg MAM or less but
a length of 12000mm is permitted, but only if the trailer is to be towed
solely by vehicles with GVW exceeding 3500kg, in line with Regulation 7 of
the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and in addition
the trailer must have at least 4 wheels. (at least 2 axles)

So towing a trailer longer than 7m with a vehicle of 3500kg or less MAM commits a C&U or driving licence offence?

Under Type Approval

A class O2 trailer is limited to 7m body length and 3500kg MAM or less but

a length of 12000mm is permitted, but only if the trailer is to be towed

solely by vehicles with GVW exceeding 3500kg, in line with Regulation 7 of

the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 and in addition

the trailer must have at least 4 wheels. (at least 2 axles)

So towing a trailer longer than 7m with a vehicle of 3500kg or less MAM commits a C&U or driving licence offence?

Which is what I have said.

Dont confuse Type approval with C and U though. They are quite distinct. There is nothing in Type approval to limit the body length to 7m.

It is purely a UK use thing.

Caravans are just caught up in it as they are no more than a box van trailer as far the rules are concerned.

I am sure it will change in the next couple of years, (well before Feb 2017 ) to conform with other proposals.

All the trailers on our farm when I grew up where this type. .. I took out a few gateposts I can tell you. :unsure:

Same here dreadly, we made a dolly for artic trailers to be towed by a tractor and this one was a on off load of a 1000 bales of wheat straw and this took some moving about !!

post-50503-0-47294000-1406574727_thumb.jpg

picture is a bit blurred and just see the draw bar of the dolly .

Edited by kobelcokid

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%