Fully Serviced Pitch

McSmithy

Hello,

Do I need and extra gadgets, pipes etc on a fully serviced pitch?

Are these things easily identifiable and bought on line?

Thanks for your help

McSmithy

McSmithy

Bailey Ranger GT60 540/6 2009

Yes you do need fittings. Try a search as there is lots of info on here.

Try google too.

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Hi McSmithy,

Yes, if you want to connect to the fresh water supply and waste drain then their are some accessories you will need to buy. For the fresh water you essentially have two options:

Direct connection using Whale Aquasource (assuming you have a whale water inlet socket):

http://www. whalepumps. com/rv/product. aspx?Category_ID=10009&Product_ID=11&FriendlyID=Aquasource-Mains

Connection via your aquaroll:

http://www. aquaroll. com/shop/mains-adaptor/aquaroll-mains-adaptor?vmcchk=1

There are pro's and con's to each method. The benefit of Whale Aquasource is that you don't need to use your aquaroll at all. However you are connecting mains water pressure directly to the caravan and there have been some instances of flooding in the past. Although where this has happened it is not really a fault with the Aquasource kit but a plumbing issue in the van which only became apparent when the system was under pressure.

The aquaroll adapter avoids this problem as you are simply keeping the aquaroll topped up from the fresh water supply, saving you from having to refill it. However it means that you still need your aquaroll with you.

For the waste water you just need a long piece of standard waste pipe, with a 2 into 1 or 3 into 1 adapter to connect to all of the waste outlets. How much pipe you need really depends on the layout of your van and where the water drain is. In most cases the drains are to rear of the pitch, within 1 to 2 meters of the caravan.

Hope this helps

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Yes you do need fittings.

if you want to fully use the pitch.

Or you can just use it as a standard pitch that doesn't need you to walk any distance to get water or dispose of grey waste

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

For the waste water disposal point, which is often a wide diameter pipe sticking out of the ground close to the caravan, you need some lengths of waste water hose of an appropriate size for your caravans waste water outlets.

The drinking water supply is often a water tap at the back of the pitch which you could simply use for the convenience of refill your water container when required.

An alternative use would be by connecting a hose of suitable length to the tap and connecting the other end to caravan's water inlet. The hose would need to be fitted at both ends with appropriate connectors.

If you want or need to go the whole hog you can get a kit which connects to the water tap and to a ball valve set into the water container. The water pump from the caravan is dropped into the water container, which maintains a constant level giving a continuous on demand feed to the caravan.

Sometimes, but no always, on a fully serviced pitch a chemical closet emptying point is provided which doesn't require extra equipment.

We are on a fully serviced pitch and use one of these adaptors for the aquaroll http://www. caravanaccessoryshop. co. uk/product/universal-mains-water-adaptor-kit/3825 It works fine but we found the hose pipe fittings weren't the best and became a little difficult after plugging and unplugging a few times. We have replaced them with hozelock fittings and it has been fine since. Take care that you don't stop the ball valve from floating freely when you put the line to the caravan in.

Waste water - we use normal domestic plastic waste pipe with the flexible hose at each end, to attach into the caravan waste sockets and to pop into the gulley at the other.

Ours also has a TV aerial socket so a length of coaxial cable and some male/female adaptors to cover all eventualities.

There are pro's and con's to each method. The benefit of Whale Aquasource is that you don't need to use your aquaroll at all. However you are connecting mains water pressure directly to the caravan and there have been some instances of flooding in the past. Although where this has happened it is not really a fault with the Aquasource kit but a plumbing issue in the van which only became apparent when the system was under pressure.

Mark.

i McSmithy,

Mark - 1st part (mains pressure) is not quite correct as there is a pressure reducing valve as part of the kit and when we asked a few months ago, we couldn't find any first hand info on flooding. You may be right but suspect instances may be quite rare.

Sam :beardy:

Unless you are always only going to use fully serviced pitches you will need an aquaroll anyway - store it in a bag in the shower.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Hello,

Do I need and extra gadgets, pipes etc on a fully serviced pitch?

Are these things easily identifiable and bought on line?

Thanks for your help

McSmithy

hi there

theres only a few thing you will need on a serviced pitch rather then a normal pitch, obviously you have a waste hog & aqua roll any way, so the only other things you will need is, aqua roll top up unit with ball valve, hook up lead & extre long waste pipe. thats it

phil

We were on a CL recently where we unexpectedly had a tap for our pitch and the waste pipe reached into the bushes easily (there was no other place to empty the grey waste apart from underneath the tap). The only problem was the tap/hosepipe fitting leaked badly when turned on. So instead of leaving it on to leak everywhere, we just turned it on and filled up the Aquaroll with the hose pipe when we needed to fill it up. Hardly onerous ! Plus we moved the waste pipe along everyday (we have a sink strainer so no food bits for vermin. ....).

It was not the perfect serviced pitch - but it was a CL and unexpected, and so it was a lot easier than it might have been.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

If I remember there are members on here that have posted about their caravans flooded after pipes have popped off inside their caravan . You could try a search .

I only connect mine and fill the onboard tank then turn off the water and disconnect in case a child playing turns it on while we are out .

IMO I would use a aqua roll adaptor and keep any flooding outside on the pitch and save all the problems with insurance claims . Caravan piping is only plastic and plastic push on connectors usually .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Some things to consider before opting for serviced pitches.

1. Do you really really need it?
  2. how far away is the water tap and waste disposal.
  3. how much water are you actually going to use?
  4. how long are you using it for?
  5. what's the site layout is the services close to the van or far away.

In our experience we don't shower in the van and only use the water for washing dishes, hand and face washing and teeth cleaning. As most places that provide serviced pitches usually have pristine toilet and shower facilities then we use those. (you pay for them regardless).

Also cost is an issue sometime serviced pitches can be £5 plus a night. that to me is pointless for what is essentially 1 or 2 trips to top up water a weekend. ( I know that sounds cheap but adds up on a longer holiday)

We paid for a serviced pitch at one place to find that the tap and drain was 8 Mtrs away and the kit we had was not long enough. Most sites the services are at the back of the pitch so 2-3 Mtrs is enough.

and remember. You still have to empty the ELSAN. ....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2015 BMW 330d Touring Xdrive pulling A 2014 Bailey Unicorn S2 Cadiz

I only use service pitches and never had a problem with a drain being 8m away . That is very rare i would of thought and a number of sites are now becoming totally hard standing service pitches so there must be a demand . Sites now being used more all year round need pitches that are hard standing due to the wet conditions in the winter and are putting in services before the bases.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Unless you are always only going to use fully serviced pitches you will need an aquaroll anyway - store it in a bag in the shower.

Indeed; we store ours between the front lockers with about 10l of water in it for lunch stops and as handy moveable ballast.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

When we were at Chatsworth the other week, we could not believe it - we had our own chemical toilet emptying point - left spotlessly clean by the wardens. For me, that is luxury!

When we were at Chatsworth the other week, we could not believe it - we had our own chemical toilet emptying point - left spotlessly clean by the wardens. For me, that is luxury!

I think we will see US RV type toilet Black water systems with Tanks that are just plugged into the waste system and you just open the drain tap instead of carrying cassettes about . Got to be a move in the right direction than struggling to carry things about .

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

It did occur to me that there may be a market for a cassette that turned a chemical loo into a normal loo, as it were. It is connected to the sewage outlet with the usual safeguards, and fits into the cassette slot so that the loo is used as normal. Everything is sluiced out of the 'cassette' which will have a much smaller volume, of course and then the waste goes down to the sewage.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

TV aerial cable ( male to male) 10m long ours is. We use the direct to caravan hose pipe, with 3 kids we would always be refilling the aqua roll ( that's why we changed to direct to caravan hose with reducer valve, never had any issues.

• 9 months later...

We are on a fully serviced pitch and use one of these adaptors for the aquaroll http://www. caravanaccessoryshop. co. uk/product/universal-mains-water-adaptor-kit/3825 It works fine but we found the hose pipe fittings weren't the best and became a little difficult after plugging and unplugging a few times. We have replaced them with hozelock fittings and it has been fine since. Take care that you don't stop the ball valve from floating freely when you put the line to the caravan in.

Waste water - we use normal domestic plastic waste pipe with the flexible hose at each end, to attach into the caravan waste sockets and to pop into the gulley at the other.

Ours also has a TV aerial socket so a length of coaxial cable and some male/female adaptors to cover all eventualities.

How do you connect normal waste pipe with flexible hose?

post-37357-0-61379700-1430324689_thumb.jpgWhen we head off down to Spain for the winter we leave the Aquaroll or Wastemaster behind at home. We use this little container as a conventional water carrier for overnight stops where we find 10L adequate. Once on the serviced pitch, the little container has a float valve in it and it connects via a roll flat hose to the water supply tap. For the waste we use a small bucket for overnight stops, and a flexible 28mm waste hose when on the serviced pitch. This arrangement suits us fine and we benefit from a weight saving of approximately 13Kg, and a considerable space saving.

Edited by Ern

Ern

If you are going on a fully serviced pitch then we found it useful to have a Hozelock twin hose adapter. This fits to the water stand pipe in the normal way, and you fit the caravan hose to one of the two switchable outlets. When you want to fill up the watering can, or the jug for drinking or a bucket, etc then just turn the switch to the other outlet. When finished switch back. It saves walking to another water source or disconnecting your caravan supply.

If you are going on a fully serviced pitch then we found it useful to have a Hozelock twin hose adapter. This fits to the water stand pipe in the normal way, and you fit the caravan hose to one of the two switchable outlets. When you want to fill up the watering can, or the jug for drinking or a bucket, etc then just turn the switch to the other outlet. When finished switch back. It saves walking to another water source or disconnecting your caravan supply.

Good tip. Thanks.

Alan

How do you connect normal waste pipe with flexible hose?

I use standard domestic uPVC waste pipe. With the screw-type compression fittings the flexible hose is a good fit and the rubber glands in the fittings hold it adequately. To get a good gradual slope for the rigid pipe I use short pieces of guy rope which I knot in the centre. These knots then locate in the skirt rail on the offside of the caravan and I tie them around the pipe so as to get the required slope. Flexible pipe then takes over to reach the drain. I also fit a right angle socket at the end of the pipe so I can locate it in the drain without the pipe curving upwards and causing a water blockage in the pipe.

For the mains water inlet I always use a ball valve in the aquaroll and then the inboard pump draws water as required. Since we always fully use our own facilities and never the amenity blocks this arrangement suits us perfectly.