New Jockey Wheel

NeilM73

Hi!

I've just purchased a new 42mm jockey wheel from our local caravan and camping store. It is fairly basic, came with a clamp and only cost £20. It looks identical to the one I'm replacing, but when I showed it to my father in law he told me that it was for a trailer and not a caravan. I didn't realise there were different jockey wheels for trailers and caravans. Could anybody shed a bit more light on this for me, please?

Thanks.

Neil.

He is probably correct! A caravan one will be heavy duty and about twice the price.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Alko are the best, shop around though. I prefer a pneumatic tyre

although I have a wide solid tyre made by Alko at the moment.

You would pay about £40 for a caravan jockey wheel, the Alko one assures a good quality part, they come with a variety of different tyres, I have pneumatic one.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

We had to replace our alko jockey wheel, it cost £31 from our Bailey dealers, (that was only for the wheel), but as we were in France on holiday and unable to move without it, it was money well spent.

The Caravan Shop do very good deals on Alko jockey wheels. We bought a pneumatic one from them.

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Caravan jockey wheels are usually 48mm diameter.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I dont like Pneumatic wheels as one time ours was flat and the motor mover didnt like that one bit!!

I have a Mercedes 220 CDI AMG SPORT and following closely behind is a sterling 564 Sport 2012, I live in France and spend loads and loads of time in campsites.

He is probably correct! A caravan one will be heavy duty and about twice the price.

Why would you need a heavy duty one as surely you don't drive with the jockey wheel down? :D

Hi!

I've just purchased a new 42mm jockey wheel from our local caravan and camping store. It is fairly basic, came with a clamp and only cost £20. It looks identical to the one I'm replacing, but when I showed it to my father in law he told me that it was for a trailer and not a caravan. I didn't realise there were different jockey wheels for trailers and caravans. Could anybody shed a bit more light on this for me, please?

Thanks.

Neil.

Reading it again it seems that you bought the whole assembly and not just the wheel?

Why would you need a heavy duty one as surely you don't drive with the jockey wheel down? :D

Reading it again it seems that you bought the whole assembly and not just the wheel?

Travelling with Jockey wheel down? Not intentionally, but it has happened Grrrr :(

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Travelling with Jockey wheel down? Not intentionally, but it has happened Grrrr :(

Yes so have I, I mustn't have tightened mine up properly and it had slipped down, We were going through Evesham when I stopped at traffic lights, when someone pointed it out. No damage done so was lucky.

If it is identical to the one it's replacing then I can't see there being any problem with it that you didn't experience before. I personally prefer a wheel with a wider footprint and am considering going back to an Alko wheel from the pneumatic tyres I have preferred to use for the last seven years- mainly due to the fact I have gone through 3 wheels this year already and am now sick of the hassle!

Insignia 2.0 SRi pulling a Series 6 Bailey Pageant Vendee gallery_23796_434_10025.jpg

If it is identical to the one it's replacing then I can't see there being any problem with it that you didn't experience before. I personally prefer a wheel with a wider footprint and am considering going back to an Alko wheel from the pneumatic tyres I have preferred to use for the last seven years- mainly due to the fact I have gone through 3 wheels this year already and am now sick of the hassle!

What is the problem with the pneumatic tyre? Does it have an inner tube fitted? When we had one, it kept going flat. It was suggested to us to fit an inner tube and on doing so no more flat tyre. Apparently the stress from the jockey wheel turning around with a weight of up to 100kg on it, causes leaks around the rim.

What is the problem with the pneumatic tyre? Does it have an inner tube fitted? When we had one, it kept going flat. It was suggested to us to fit an inner tube and on doing so no more flat tyre. Apparently the stress from the jockey wheel turning around with a weight of up to 100kg on it, causes leaks around the rim.

You can get 'solid' no air type replacement tyres for them that are supposed to be very good.

Mahatma Gandhi

You can get 'solid' no air type replacement tyres for them that are supposed to be very good.

I am told that the tyres for some mobility scooters will fit onto the jockey wheel and these tyres are mainly solid, no air, but are "soft".

I am told that the tyres for some mobility scooters will fit onto the jockey wheel and these tyres are mainly solid, no air, but are "soft".

http://www. lifelightmobility. co. uk/300-4_Solid_Puncture_Proof_Tyre. htm

Mahatma Gandhi

Between punctures, tyres splitting and general poor quality I have just had enough this season! The last tyre was only on one week when the side wall split whilst it wasn't even under load in storage.

I have tried the foam solid tyre and didn't have much luck as I found it compressed to much (and I only have a 75kg nose weight) which caused it to come off the rim whilst moving.

The Alko soft is not my preferred option but it is the compromise with closest characteristics of the pneumatic tyre that I have found, if only I could find the one I took off the van to replace it with my pneumatic jockey wheel in the first place!

Edited by MrOmori

Insignia 2.0 SRi pulling a Series 6 Bailey Pageant Vendee gallery_23796_434_10025.jpg

I've just fitted a tyre and inner tube from a mobility scooter to my old jockey wheel,

I wish I'd tried it before I bought the new assembly :rolleyes:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Newbie here. We have a standard jockey wheel (plastic type) and it has become very worn very quickly. We are considering replacing the jockey wheel with either a pneumatic or solid rubber one. I have read various reviews and wonder if the solid rubber one has advantages. Does anybody have any views that might help?

Keith

Hi all,

Newbie here. We have a standard jockey wheel (plastic type) and it has become very worn very quickly. We are considering replacing the jockey wheel with either a pneumatic or solid rubber one. I have read various reviews and wonder if the solid rubber one has advantages. Does anybody have any views that might help?

Keith

Why has it become worn so quickly? What are you doing to it?

Mahatma Gandhi

Abrasive road outside our house and use of motor mover to get van onto and off the drive.