Large Front Sun Window

Durbanite

Are we the only ones that don't seem to like this new fad of having a large sun window in the front? Swift and Bailey seem to be following the trend with the large front window which takes away the front lockers and allows a lot more sunshine into the caravan.

On viewing caravans the other day all those caravans seems to be a lot warmer than those that did not have the large sun trap window. We appreciate that the blind can be pulled down, but still a lot of hot air can get trapped in there.

Do you like these new large sun windows?

Nope. I love our reasonably large one piece window on front that can be opened up but wouldn't want any more "glass" than that to absorb heat as you say

interestingly the new 2015 Altea seems to have a smaller front window against this trend

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I presume you are taking about the front roof light rather than a large front window. We have got one but I don't like it and would rather have the lockers. You are right, it does make the caravan warmer.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

Don't like it either - I also HATE a sunroof in a car - and a pano-glass roof is even worse!

So, we bought a Hobby Premium, you know, the one with the big black "Window" across the front. .. which isn't a window at all ;)

Al.

Don't like it either - I also HATE a sunroof in a car - and a pano-glass roof is even worse!

So, we bought a Hobby Premium, you know, the one with the big black "Window" across the front. .. which isn't a window at all ;)

Ah! I love the sunroof in our car. It's not made of plastic, it's glass and black which keeps the heat out better than steel!

John

Ah! I love the sunroof in our car. It's not made of plastic, it's glass and black which keeps the heat out better than steel!

thats what i mean, the panoramic-glass roof's - dad's Yeti has one and i think it's awful - If it was mine, i would have it limo-tinted straight away, or even a black vinyl - i will not buy a car with a glass roof!

but it's the fasnion, as is the big front-windows. ..

Al.

thats what i mean, the panoramic-glass roof's - dad's Yeti has one and i think it's awful - If it was mine, i would have it limo-tinted straight away, or even a black vinyl - i will not buy a car with a glass roof!

but it's the fasnion, as is the big front-windows. ..

Glass sunroofs in cars aren't a new fashion. Been going for years!

John

Glass sunroofs in cars aren't a new fashion. Been going for years!

Panoramic-Glass roof's are!

Al.

Panoramic-Glass roof's are!

Ten years! Still think they are cooler. Depends how big they are of course.

Edited by Jslocks

John

What is the point of black tinting a sunroof, black attracts heat. Mirror tint may be better for reflecting heat ?

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

What is the point of black tinting a sunroof, black attracts heat. Mirror tint may be better for reflecting heat ?

David

Mine looks black from the inside but you can't see through it above. Think it is a sort of mirror finish.

John

David

Its the modern treatments on surface of glass that actually reflects heat. Tinting merely reduces glare

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Its the modern treatments on surface of glass that actually reflects heat. Tinting merely reduces glare

Now I know why mine works and is cooler than a car with a steel roof.

John

My car has the blacked out windows in the rear doors and back screen, They do keep alot of heat out it appears(much like a shaded greenhouse)

And back to the topic, I don't like the trend for sunroofs in caravans, they do make it hotter, you loose storage and it is just another place for them to leak.

And back to the topic, I don't like the trend for sunroofs in caravans, they do make it hotter, you loose storage and it is just another place for them to leak.

There have been a few reports of caravans leaking around these new sun roofs or whatever they want to call them.

Are we the only ones that don't seem to like this new fad of having a large sun window in the front? Swift and Bailey seem to be following the trend with the large front window which takes away the front lockers and allows a lot more sunshine into the caravan.

On viewing caravans the other day all those caravans seems to be a lot warmer than those that did not have the large sun trap window. We appreciate that the blind can be pulled down, but still a lot of hot air can get trapped in there.

Do you like these new large sun windows?

I detest them with a passion, I wouldn't touch any cararavan fitted with such a window with a barge pole. Way too much openness, if you want a wide open view go outside.

I detest them with a passion, I wouldn't touch any cararavan fitted with such a window with a barge pole. Way too much openness, if you want a wide open view go outside.

Swift's roof light is acceptable to us because we wanted a Conqueror. The one I wouldn't give house room to is Bailey's new van that looks like a comic figure from the front and a brick from the side.

John

Swift's roof light is acceptable to us because we wanted a Conqueror. The one I wouldn't give house room to is Bailey's new van that looks like a comic figure from the front and a brick from the side.

Just why we went down that road. We love that front window and the shower is one of the best, pity about the draw space in the wardrobe though, and as for the lighting at the side of the mirror just a waste of space, and why do I need a spotlight above the Loo it would have been better over the hand basin. Rest of the van perfect.

We love our big Pegasus GT65 window, thats one of the reasons we bought it

Absolutely - pointing the caravan at a nice view with that window - fantastic. Wouldn't swap it for a few poxy lockers. Given that Bailey and Swift (with their large front sunroofs) have pretty much 75% of the caravan market between them suggests we're not alone in that.

Now on my second Swift Group van with a sunroof . ... have to say I love it.

Lets in lots of light and we don't miss the two small lockers that would be in its place.

We are away at the minute . ... temps are in the mid twenties but no problem with excess heat in the 'van.

When we view vans without a sunroof now they seem pretty dull, especially when combined with a darkish wood finish. We love as much natural light as possible.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Absolutely - pointing the caravan at a nice view with that window - fantastic. Wouldn't swap it for a few poxy lockers. Given that Bailey and Swift (with their large front sunroofs) have pretty much 75% of the caravan market between them suggests we're not alone in that.

But you don't know how many customers they don't have, looking at the replies on here the majority don't want it.

Love ours, one of the reasons we were attracted to it. Being able to see out of a window while standing up. ...great. Too hot!? close a blind or open a window, stays warmer longer ;-)

A nice bright airey enviroment, the van has heaps of storage anyway so dont give the loss of a couple of small cupboards in whats probably thwe worst place in a van to place more weight a second thought.

love the much larger roof lights too, remember those litle square ones from years ago?

Caravans used to be dark little boxs, much improved enviroments now for sure.

Dont worry nme2no1 far more people complain than commend, wingers are always in the majority it would seem the ones that approve tend to approve quietly ;-)

Just why we went down that road. We love that front window and the shower is one of the best, pity about the draw space in the wardrobe though, and as for the lighting at the side of the mirror just a waste of space, and why do I need a spotlight above the Loo it would have been better over the hand basin. Rest of the van perfect.

Totally agree with you over the lights around the mirror and spot over the loo. Have looked at putting a spot in but haven't worked it out yet!

Also, do we really need speakers in the bathroom? Don't use the inbuilt radio anyway. Too loud!

Edited by Jslocks

John